Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only use a retinol cream at night after my toner. Do I still need to use a moisturizer? I only use sunblock in the morning. I have combination skin. And which should I put on my face first, the moisturizer or the retinol cream?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I only use a retinol cream at night after my toner. Do I still need to use a moisturizer? I only use sunblock in the morning. I have combination skin. And which should I put on my face first, the moisturizer or the retinol cream?
i cant answer yoru question, but i wanted to tell you, yo uhave beautiful skin and very putty eyes...nice !!!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
What retinol cream are you using and does it leave you feeling a bit on the dry side? Or is it more moisturizing?

If you tend to be dry from using the retinol, you can apply a moisturizer after your retinol cream. You could also just use a dab of jojoba oil. This is what I will do from time to time. It works great as a moisturizer. Or I will use a moisturizer from skinactives.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What retinol cream are you using and does it leave you feeling a bit on the dry side? Or is it more moisturizing?

If you tend to be dry from using the retinol, you can apply a moisturizer after your retinol cream. You could also just use a dab of jojoba oil. This is what I will do from time to time. It works great as a moisturizer. Or I will use a moisturizer from skinactives.
It's called Retistar Night Cream which has Double Retinol and Vitamins A, C, and E. No it doesn't make my skin dry but I feel like it's not giving me enough moisture. Hmm maybe I will try that.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
It's called Retistar Night Cream which has Double Retinol and Vitamins A, C, and E. No it doesn't make my skin dry but I feel like it's not giving me enough moisture. Hmm maybe I will try that.
Is this a cream you make yourself? Retistar is sold at the personal formulator which is a site a few of us order products from for out Vit C serum.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a cream you make yourself? Retistar is sold at the personal formulator which is a site a few of us order products from for out Vit C serum.
My dermatologist recommended this to me and she makes it herself.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I find that my retinol cream isn't enough in terms of moisturizing, it has some ceramides, Shea butter and stuff in it, but my skin still feels tight and uncomfortable when used alone. I think that skin needs a moisturizer, especially when using retinol, otherwise it's kinda backwards, you use retinol to have younger/more healthy skin, but you don't moisturize it properly and that ultimately leads to aging. I know that using something on top of retinol can decrease it's effectiveness, but in my opinion it's better for skin in long therm to use a cream, oil or something else on top. Thats just my theory, maybe I'm wrong, but I seems to work for me.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
why dont you use the retinol cream by itself at night so that you get the full benefits of it without decreasing its effect on your skin and then in the morning wash your face and apply a really rich moisturizer that will combat the dryness. This seems to work for me.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why dont you use the retinol cream by itself at night so that you get the full benefits of it without decreasing its effect on your skin and then in the morning wash your face and apply a really rich moisturizer that will combat the dryness. This seems to work for me.
I might have a problem using moisturizer in the morning because I use sunblock. It might feel too heavy already and I hate that feeling. I wonder if I can use retinol cream and moisturizer alternately, like I use retinol cream tonight and moisturizer the next night, and so on..

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
yes you can definitely do that, and your skin is not even bad so you dont need to be using retinol every night, but I say if your sunscreen already HAS moisturizer in it then you are fine. The sunscreen that I am using: Garnier Ambre Solaire UV sensitive 50 already has a deeply hydrating complex of vitamin E and some cactus extract or something.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes you can definitely do that, and your skin is not even bad so you dont need to be using retinol every night, but I say if your sunscreen already HAS moisturizer in it then you are fine. The sunscreen that I am using: Garnier Ambre Solaire UV sensitive 50 already has a deeply hydrating complex of vitamin E and some cactus extract or something.
Yay, great.
I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock with SPF 50+ with Helioplex.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Good choice, thats probably the ONLY US sunscreen that has adequate protection b/c of the Helioplex. Read the back of the tube and see if its the one that also has antioxidants C E.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good choice, thats probably the ONLY US sunscreen that has adequate protection b/c of the Helioplex. Read the back of the tube and see if its the one that also has antioxidants C E.
Wow! Ok let me get back to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, these are the ingredients: Water, Homosalate, Styrene/ Acrylates Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Benzophenone-3, Butyloctyl salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethanne, Silica, Octocrylene, Diethylhexyl 2, 6-Napthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethicone and Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium polycrylate and Ethylhexyl Stearate and Trideceth-6, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Dimethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, IDsodium EDTA, Fragrance, BHT, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, these are the ingredients: Water, Homosalate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Benzophenone-3, Butyloctyl salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethanne, Silica, Octocrylene, Diethylhexyl 2, 6-Napthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethicone and Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium polycrylate and Ethylhexyl Stearate and Trideceth-6, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Dimethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, IDsodium EDTA, Fragrance, BHT, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate. I don't even know most of them haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok yeah they dont have that in the 50 version, after ur are done with that get the spf 55 with helioplex I think that one has the antioxidants.
Yeah I couldn't find it but the SPF 55 doesn't have antioxidants. The Water Light version (a new one) has antioxidants. I wanna try that next after I'm done with this. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I might have a problem using moisturizer in the morning because I use sunblock. It might feel too heavy already and I hate that feeling. I wonder if I can use retinol cream and moisturizer alternately, like I use retinol cream tonight and moisturizer the next night, and so on..

Have you tried Colorescience Sunforgettable Sun Protection? It's a water resistant powdered sun block. I love it because I don't like the greasy feeling of traditional sun block on my face. I wear mineral make up with a sunscreen in it on most days, so I let that suffice, but if I'm going out without make up on, I use the Colorescience. They also make it in a tinted formula like mineral make up, I think. Anyway, if you used the Colorescience, you could put a moisturizer on first without getting your skin too greasy...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Helioplex™ is just stabilized avobenzone and oxybenzone. If the ingredients don't include Helioplex™, these two SS agents aren't stable and won't protect you very long.

What Is Helioplex?

I don't use a moisturizer after my Retin-A at night either, so that I don't dilute the effects of the Retin-A.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts