Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know what everyone does:

Do you shun the sun, slather on the SPF and embrace your paleness?

Do you shun the sun, slather on the SPF and self-tanner?

OR

Do you embrace the sun and will worry about the aging effects later in life? (btw, this is a no-no and I do not advocate it!)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I am a former tanorexic but being now that I live in Miami and it is summer I have resorted to allowing myself adequate but moderate natural sun exposure with a decent but not complete sunblock. I do not personally believe total avoidance is for everyone and my experience with self-tanners has been awful. I was trying to embrace my paleness but due to years of sun-exposure and some damage as well as the lack of good self-tanners and the fact that it is summer I have allowed myself to indulge but will avoid again when it gets cooler.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lexi! I'm interested in this topic so that I can gather a better understanding of what is considered "normal". I, too, am a former tanorexic but have sworn off everything but incidental sun exposure. I know that some people also do the best they can to avoid the incidental exposure. I am more concerned about protecting my face, decolette and backs of the hands from the damaging effects of the sun than the rest of my body. I have also had bad results with self tanners and how do you get your back tan?! I refuse to ask my boyfriend to apply them for me! Well, he's gone for 6 months for military training right now, anyway so how would I get my back tan?

I am naturally very fair and pale so I guess it's time to embrace it! (well, maybe using bronzer across the nose and cheek area so it warms me up a little)

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Shun and RUN I will even walk only in the shade if I can find some.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
When I was totally sun-avoiding I was also shunning but living in Miami in summer with three dogs and not wanting to stay in-doors 24/7 it was impractical. It was better in my case to have a protective base than to burn if I did not reapply or avoid the sun. I would avoid if I lived in UK again though. Sometimes it really is a balance and about how to live and care for your skin.

Vananners I also am most concerned with face, neck/decolletage and hands. I have for a long time used sunblock on those areas.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Isn't always practical for me either in all honesty. Animals to feed, 4 dogs, chickens, 43 acres to bushhog, but if I can avoid it walk in the shade I will. Never go out ever without sunscreen. I just do not want to reverse all the hard work I have done the past 2 years.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I hear you. I have my dogs and also live ON the beach and it is not easy. It is not just desire though, I tan through a 45 sunblock here and that is mere incidental exposure. I now just go to the beach with 45 on and swim and run and it gives me enough that I am not chalk yet enough that I am also not going to turn beat red. I was getting that in the height of my sun-avoidance and it was not good and this too was incidental.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I embrace the pale....BUT I use bronzer over my pale foundation to add some depth and color. For reference, I am #021 in Diorskin Nude liquid foundation and use Guerlain Summer Stones all-over bronzer. It is the only one that doesn't look OompaLoompa orange on me and I use it like blush and highlighter, not all over: on the cheeks, the bridge of the nose, forehead, temples, jawline, collarbones. It gives a translucent sunkissed look.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't like self tanners or I should say haven't found one that I like so far..either too orangey or the smell is down right disgusting... on my face I use a bronzer gel mixed in with my sunscreen moisturizer in the summer AND I use a powder bronzer on cheeks, nose, forehead, jawline and declotee. On my legs and arms I use a moisturize with bronzer built it for a sunny glow.

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I played 'Aztec Princess' the 1st 34 years of my life, and enjoyed my glorious tan every summer..

Then I got smart, and started using sunscreen, but did still get a tan or 5 here and there. (Mostly if I wanted to look glorious and glowing for an affair.)

Now I'm 59, live in Palm Beach Florida, and I'm proudly the palest soul on the beach. I have a few *tanners* in the cubby, but really couldn't care less about using it..

What a difference a few decades made, to what is really important to me.. The health of my skin is my priority now, and I'm enjoying my nice, pale, eventoned skin..

I do still miss that lovely feel of lying in the sun, and of course that lovely glowing tan.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
In my younger days of course I was a sun goddess-
But that was before I came to my senses.

I would say for the last 15 or so years I shun the sun, and will lather up with sunscreen. Living in California shunning the sun does take an effort. I am willing to do what ever it takes even if that means being pale 12 months out of the year. With all of the products out today if I really need to have a tan there are nurmerous things I can use to achieve it. Bronzers, tan towels, sunless tanning lotion, spray tans, etc, is the only way to go for this girl.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do shun the sun for the most part because I have a few patches of melasma on the sides of my face. But despite that, I still try to get my 15 minutes of sunshine (unprotected) for my vitamin D fix every day! When I am out in the sun, I use a good spf especially on the melasma as it tends to get darker.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I do shun the sun for the most part because I have a few patches of melasma on the sides of my face. But despite that, I still try to get my 15 minutes of sunshine (unprotected) for my vitamin D fix every day! When I am out in the sun, I use a good spf especially on the melasma as it tends to get darker.
Such good advice about getting the daily vitamin D needs from the sun.. It really is so much better than supplements..

You can get your full requirement by exposing either your wrists or ankles to the sun for about 10 minutes each day..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Kassy! Luv the new avatar- Che-Wow-Wow!! I did not know I could expose my wrists and ankles for 10 min/day to get my vit D.... Sitting out in my burka now....

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
713 Posts
I shun the sun....I've spent too much time and money getting to where I'm at! I never have been a sun worshipper I always got burnt it would peel and I'd be back to white anyways. My Mum and my Sister turn so dark and stay that way, my sister goes to Arizona for the winter...her skin is very wrinkled and she looks much older than she is. When I speak to her about it she says laying in the sun makes her feel good......

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Kitskid
It is true that sunbathing makes ppl feel good, but what a price to pay. Lexi is a confessed tanaholic who agrees. I used to bask in the warm UV rays and felt spiritually bonded to the universe and all its glory the whole time. It's a hard habit to break.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't spend enough time outside to obsess over it.

Summers, I enjoy the outdoors from a wide, shaded porch overlooking a lake. Winters, I live in FL and go to the beach a few times a week for hour or so. I am particularly careful about guarding my face when in the sun (always sunglasses, visor, block, keeping my back to the sun when sitting), but will allow my body to tan.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Kitskid
It is true that sunbathing makes ppl feel good, but what a price to pay. Lexi is a confessed tanaholic who agrees. I used to bask in the warm UV rays and felt spiritually bonded to the universe and all its glory the whole time. It's a hard habit to break.
I read an article the other day that actually was saying that it is an ACTUAL addiction. That the same hormones released during addiction are released for a minority of people when they are in the sun. I actually do wonder if a heat lamp would make me feel as good?! I mean the thing I enjoy most is not the time I spent in the sun nor the cosmetic effect of tanning (which I love too) but rather I always loved to be in the bright burning heat of the sun. If there were scattered clouds I did not like it as much. I enjoyed the real sun beating down on me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts