Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I wash with sugar sometimes and YES it works. I usually use sugar (pure sugar from cane) and then add lemon juice until it is pasty then I use it as an exfoliant/wash. It leaves the skin soft and smooth. Sugar is a source of glycolic acid so it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I wash with sugar sometimes and YES it works. I usually use sugar (pure sugar from cane) and then add lemon juice until it is pasty then I use it as an exfoliant/wash. It leaves the skin soft and smooth. Sugar is a source of glycolic acid so it makes perfect sense.
Lexi - is this also true of brown sugar? A number of us here have been making a brown sugar, honey, and olive oil scrub that is really terrific. If this brown sugar also has glycolic acid, then that explains a good part of it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Mirecka please can you tell me where I can find the recipe for the scrub..I take it it is a body scrub? thanks

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hi Mirecka please can you tell me where I can find the recipe for the scrub..I take it it is a body scrub? thanks
Some folks are using it as a body scrub; others like myself are using it as a facial scrub. Here is the link to the thread where we discussed it. I use the recipe in the link given in my post #56. If it is too thick - I just add a little more of whatever kind of oil I have handy (just to make it more spreadable).

http://www.skincaretalk.com/basic-sk...e-scrub-3.html

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mirecka, white is the natural colour of cane sugar if it is not treated, brown sugar is sugar with molasses syrup added for flavour and colour so yes I would assume it would be true as well as the sugar itself is unchanged.

·
Registered
98 Posts
thank you Mirecka....just one more question...what do they mean when they say" beeswax melted in a double boiler"? what on earth is a double boiler?...

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
thank you Mirecka....just one more question...what do they mean when they say" beeswax melted in a double boiler"? what on earth is a double boiler?...
Hi Ely - I gave that link because it has the recipe for the sugar scrub that I made (this is a sugar scrub thread, right?). The recipe for the body butter that is there as well I never tried. It looks interesting, but I do not have the right equipment or ingredients for such a project now.

But for a double boiler, in the ******* it generally means a double pot - where you boil water in the lower one and a smaller one sits inside it with something that you want warmed or melted. I am not a cook either, but that is my understanding - it's a way of melting something that cannot get wet.

Maybe someone else here that has first-hand experience with such things will be able to give a better answer, but that's my understanding. I tried melting down some honey in the microwave and had a major disaster - too high, too long - I don't know; but it melted a hole in the container that I was using, so be careful!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Mirecka....I think that here in Europe we call it a steamer, but not being someone who feels entirely at home in the *******
I am probably wrong...but I appreciate the info because I know what you mean..thanks so much for the info and the recipe...I think I'll start off with the scrub first

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ely1--I would call that a steamer as well but I am from Europe and though I live in USA I never heard it referred to as anything else here but I have only been here two years!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
We have steamers here too (when I say "here", I mean the US; I am a visitor in Canada and have no idea what they would call it) but they are typically aluminum baskets which are inserted into a pot of boiling water - and vegetables mostly are put into the basket, elevated out of the water, with a lid on top - to steam the vegetables. It is better than boiling because that way you do not loose the nutrients into the water.

A double boiler has a solid surface, and actually looks like a bowl, that is inserted the same way inside a larger pot. It is used to melt down things like butter, lard - at least before the days of the microwave.

I never owned a double boiler, but I cook most of my veggies in a steamer. It is quicker too than boiling them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
A steamer is the same in Europe but the basket (I believe it is called a strainer or collander) is shaped like a pot and only has the openings on the bottom, not the sides which are shaped like a pot. There is a smaller bottom which in turn can rest on the sink or on its own making it easier to dump and use!

·
Registered
98 Posts
thank you ladies...well it's the scrub for me at the moment....after all my purchases for the vit c serum and the shipping coss etc, my credit card is starting to smoulder
and I don't have a double boiler....maybe one day

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't have to buy anything special to make a double boiler. I believe all it means is a pan with simmering water, over the gas, and then a slightly smaller glass bowl rested inside the pan. This heats up and allows the ingredients to melt or warm - whatever you need. At least that's how I'd' melt chocolate etc!!!! (Am I allowed to say chocolate on this website?!?!).

·
Registered
98 Posts
so to ask dumb questions Beccaboo but is the glass bowl actually in the simmering water and isit not at risk of breaking/cracking? thanks for the info btw

·
Registered
12 Posts
you could try putting a small saucepan in a larger pan of boiling water. This technique is used so you do not burn the contents of the small pot. I would use glass with caution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Use a large pot with boiling water. Put the smaller pot with the wax etc in the boiling water. This technique is used to prevent the wax etc. from burning by being too close to the gas or electric element. You certainly do not have to go out to buy something special. I would use glass with caution. However, a ceramic dish or cup would be ok.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you have sensitive skin, be careful with sugar!!! The crystals are very sharp and pointy and can tear your pores, causing more inflammation and redness. I wouldn't bring it anywhere near my face..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like with any commercial scrub, just be gentle. The finer the sugar, the better. Don't use raw sugar as it is too abrasive. Also, bi-carb soda is good as it is very fine. These can be used with oils also. Have heard coconut oil or milk are good for skin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts