Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have black hair and wants to try some highlights? Which colour would you think will be good for me?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Maha,

sorry to be a little off-topic, but do you know how to do threading??
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What colour highlights would you recommend for black hair? pls anyone? Thanks.
Mushi - I guess that you are thinking about colored streaks in your hair? Well, I totally believe that folks should have fun with their hair, especially while they are still young and can get away with it.

So, if you are really bold, how about "eggplant" - which is a purple shade. It was real popular "on this side of the pond" a couple of years ago. I couldn't do it because my hair is blonde, and I envied my dark-haired friends who did it. The shiny black hair with some "eggplant" streaks looked great!

Let us know what you finally decide to do. I'm so curious now!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Maha,

sorry to be a little off-topic, but do you know how to do threading??
Thanks.
Threading? As in sewing with a needle and a thread? If you mean that sort of threading then yes-a little, I'm am learning actaully, my third sis knows more than me. I can also use the sewing machine a little.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hope not!
Thankfully, the rest of my family do not have this problem.
Hmmm....could it be stress than? If the rest of your family doesn't have it could be stress. Find out more about your family's medical history, i.e. grandmother etc, because it could also be the fact that this particular prob may skip generation.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Threading? As in sewing with a needle and a thread? If you mean that sort of threading then yes-a little, I'm am learning actaully, my third sis knows more than me. I can also use the sewing machine a little.
I realised that Pumi that you weren't talking textile lang and no I don't know how to do threading.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I realised that Pumi that you weren't talking textile lang and no I don't know how to do threading.
Lol. Sorry, Maha. I was not clear enough in my explanation. I mean threading facial hairs!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got very heavy highlights and lightened my base color so I could get away with a few extra weeks of gray without them being so noticable. The highlights definitely camouflage the gray better. My natural color is dark brown and I would have to dye the grays at least every 3 weeks to feel comfortable- I use the cheap colorsilk for $3.49 (decent product and it seems to work well ilf I leave it on for 45 minutes!) since I only use about 1/4 of the bottle and single process at the salon costs over $30 and no way can I afford that.

Weird but my grays grow all in the same place rather than being a few strands all over the place. At least I dont have to damage all my hair with dye so often. Good luck. Something you have to deal with. Ugh.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but it might be a helpful alternative for some of you : )

I've used clip in hair pieces that are about 1/2 -1 inch wide in all crazy colours. You life up a section of hair, clip in in close to head and let your natural hair fall over it - they are cheap and look good & can be cut to any length.
I got mine at Sally Beauty on sale for under $5 each! : )

...Oh yeah & please don't use "Sun-In" thinking it'll give you "natural looking sun-kissed highlights" it's the WORST Shi* on earth! : {

I have a few icky wirey gray/whites that I pluck out every once in awhile. I was hoping to hit 30 before I saw one, alas, I've been vigilant against the same stuborn hair since 27 : {
There are about 10 more random rogues that I've decided to live with as I'm trying to restore my hair to health.

I will definately never permanently dye my whole head again - only high/low lights - I should've listened to my stylist!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks for all your useful inputs, everyone! I have started to only dye my grey hairs now. I think this is the best way to hide my greys and not damage my whole hair. I am using clairol root touch up and the good thing is the colour matches my exact hair shade

21 - 34 of 34 Posts