Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on a thread someone posted that they wouldn't use burts bees facial products? Why not? They say they are all natural?

·
Registered
881 Posts
yea i wonder that too sometimes. ill be reading about a product that has great things in it but then ill read something on there that i know you shudnt be putting on your skin! they should exclude those ingredients from the products..idiotsss. we know what great things to put on our face.. wouldn't we know what NOT to put on our face???

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been using the Naturally Ageless Day Lotion and like it. Have repurchased it several times. I have the Naturally Ageless Night Cream waiting in the wings for when i use up my current night cream.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The facial products are not good for acne prone or sensitive skin. They contain a lot of pore clogging ingredients and fragrance (even natural fragrance irritates skin).

·
Registered
20 Posts
My problem with burt's is that it's not chiral... chirallity is important when using natural products due to the fact that the molecules have 'handedness'- meaning there is a right hand and a left hand. Both of the 'hands' are not always beneficial, and can actually cause adverse reactions when used together.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My problem with burt's is that it's not chiral... chirallity is important when using natural products due to the fact that the molecules have 'handedness'- meaning there is a right hand and a left hand. Both of the 'hands' are not always beneficial, and can actually cause adverse reactions when used together.
"Chirality"

·
Registered
13 Posts
ummm.... my question for you kanderson is how do you know if they have used the dextroratory or levoratory chiral ingredient? How do you know which ingrdients even have chirality? It would take a very experienced analytical chemist which some specific equipment even to determine if a left hand rotated or right hand rotated chiral ingredient is in the formula. To be quite honest, at the levels that most "active" ingredients are put into some formulas, it really isn't going to make a difference which chirality an ingredient may have. Chirality is problem one of the least important concerns I would have when formulating an outstanding skin care product.

What you really want to look for is "skin friendly" ingredients. Those ingredients which are similar too, and do not disrupt, your skin's own natural skin sebum production. You want inherently stable (low in polyunsaturated fats) triglyceride oils in a product. You want wax esters to be present (usually from jojoba oil and jojoba esters). It would be good to have squalene in the product. Some cholesterol and ceramides would also be helpful. These are the MAIN ingredients that make a product skin friendly, and worth looking into further. Adding a variety of active ingredients is done to enhance a product that has the above mentioned "keystone chassis" ingredients.

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
ummm.... my question for you kanderson is how do you know if they have used the dextroratory or levoratory chiral ingredient? How do you know which ingrdients even have chirality? It would take a very experienced analytical chemist which some specific equipment even to determine if a left hand rotated or right hand rotated chiral ingredient is in the formula.

John
NeverOverTheHill- your point is noted... but when using natural, eco-friendly, plant based products chirality should be important and one should go with a line that they know scientist have tested the molecules and its different properties. Those lines are out there.... not any I can think of claim to be chiral with no supporting evidence of their studies.

I would hope that my post got some people interested (if they didn't already know) about chiral products that are natural- and I hope they did some research on what product lines are out there that are chiral, and why it makes their product stand above the rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts