Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good home remedy for dry, damaged hair? I do olive oil treatments occasionally, but I seem to have dry, damaged hair which is naturally curly, therefore frizz's, and thick, and coarse feeling! A real headcase problem! HA!Ha! I have tried, ojon, kronos, biologe and on and on, but have not found the "wonder stuff yet!"
Any help, would be appreciated!
Wendy

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Good morning, I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good home remedy for dry, damaged hair? I do olive oil treatments occasionally, but I seem to have dry, damaged hair which is naturally curly, therefore frizz's, and thick, and coarse feeling! A real headcase problem! HA!Ha! I have tried, ojon, kronos, biologe and on and on, but have not found the "wonder stuff yet!"
Wendy
Wendy - I have used olive oil as well and found it to be helpful but messy because it is so heavy. Instead I now use grapeseed oil on my hair every other day or so, and it has made a big difference for my chemically treated hair. It is a lighter oil and so washes out easily and is easy to use. I apply it to my hair and massage it in a few minutes before stepping into the shower and shampoo and condition my hair as usual.

Grapeseed oil is a useful thing to have on hand anyway. It is nice and light on the skin in the summer, and makes a nice dressing on salads as well (if you buy one that is suitable. Mine is from NOW Foods).

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Hi Wendy- I have friends that swear by putting mayonnaise on their hair. I do not like mayo at all, can't stand the smell, so I have never tried it. I have lately been putting coconut oil on my hair. It seems to work, ok.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Why don't you try honey?

Here is the treatment that I use.

1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of olive oil

Mix them together, apply on hair. Leave on for 30 min prior bath/shower and shampoo and condition as normal. It seems to work for me.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Looking for the causes of the dryness may help. Switch to a silk pillowcase: cotton can sap moisture from your hair. Try using a humidifier at home if the air is too dry. Lower the heat setting on your blowdrier & flat iron etc, if you use these tools. Are you a regular mousse ir hairspray user? Many of them dry out hair. After shampooing & deep conditioning (try pantene's 5 min treatment. Cheap but good!), use a leave in serum. Trim away the dried out or split ends. Also, avoiding over processing can be helpful. Too many chemicals can fry hair. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi
try using a product without SODIUM LAUREL SOLPHATE
there are products around-- like OJON-- Or Natural Instinct (available in australia in healthshops and Pharmacies)-- Ojon you can buy online-- try E-bay--- you dont pay too much for it--

Hope that helps

goldengirl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Use Tea seed oil for hair massage. Take a small amount and rub through your scalp. Leave for 15 minutes and wash with good natural shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will come out shiny and thick.

Tea seed oil is the new miracle oil that is great for eating and body care. It is the most versatile multi purpose oil, odor free and chemical free. It is USDA certified organic and Kosher Certified. It is Loaded with vitamins and minerals.

The benefits of Tea Seed Oil include:

No Transfat

Emerald Harvest Tea seed oil contains no transfats. Transfat reduction and elimination is a serious issue in the world today. Transfat has been positively linked to many health risks including:

* Heart disease
* Cancer
* Diabetes
* Liver failure
* Obesity

Why transfat is dangerous?
Transfat does not exist in large quantities in nature, and is usually limited to very small harmless amounts that occur naturally in dairy milk. Research is still being conducted as to the specifics of exactly why transfat is so harmful. A leading theory is that because transfat is mostly an artificial substance (ie: close to 100% of the transfat in a typical western diet comes from synthetic sources), the body is unable to process it.

The body is very efficient at processing natural substances that it is "familiar" with -- transfat does not fit this criteria. For this reason, the body cannot properly process transfat. Prolonged consumption of any substance the human body is unable to process properly can lead to serious health consequences.

Anti-transfat legislation
Countries, cities, and governments are passing legislation to reduce the consumption of transfat. New York City (pdf), for example, began with a public education campaign to encourage the reduction/elimination of transfats from restaurants. In late 2006, the NYC board of health passed legislation (pdf) to eliminate transfats in all NYC food establishments.

No Cholesterol

Tea seed oil contains no cholesterol. High levels of cholesterol (particularly, LDL cholesterol) are very risky for health. LDL cholesterol tends to stick to artery walls, forming deposits called plaque. These deposits can cause a heart attack or stroke when they completely obstruct an artery and block blood flow.

Vitamin E, Omega 6 & 9, Anti-Oxidants

Emerald Harvest is packed with lots of beneficial nutrients such as:

* Vitamin E - an important antioxidant.
* Other antioxidants
* Omega-6 essential fatty acids
* Omega-9 fatty acids

Oxygen and cell damage
Although oxygen is required for us to live, it is a very reactive substance. In the process of breathing we create unstable oxygen compounds that travel in our body and damage normal healthy cells. To counter this, our body naturally creates many different types of antioxidants to deal with these free radicals. Tea seed oil contains both Vitamin E and other antioxidants that help the body fight to neutralize these damaging by-products. The main form of Vitamin E is Tocopherols.

Essential fatty acids
Omega-6 and 9 fatty acids are used by the body in a variety of ways ranging from cell functions and cell signaling to moods, behaviour, and inflammation. Essential fatty acids such as Omega-6 cannot be created from scratch by the body and are therefore necessary in dietary intake. A shortage of fatty acids can have a range of ill effects on the body including fatigue and depression. Tea seed oil helps to provide these very necessary fatty acids to the body.

Extremely High Smoking Point

Emerald Harvest Tea seed oil has an extremely high smoking point, the highest smoke temperature than all other commonly used oils (including olive, canola, and grapeseed oil). The accompanying chart (pdf) will demonstrate that tea seed oil ranks at the top, having the highest smoking point of the common cooking oils.

How important is the smoke point?
The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which the oil begins to smoke, emitting an unpleasant smell. This can be likened to burning. Once an oil reaches this point, it becomes un-usable as it begins to break down at the molecular level. Oils with high smoke points (the highest being tea seed oil) are much safer to cook with and last longer if re-used as less molecules are broken down as the oil is heated. The result is a much healthier and safer meal.

Oil smoking point and cancer
When an oil has reached its smoking point temperature, it will burn and become altered at the molecular level, releasing free radicals. Free radicals have been positively linked to cancer.

Compare tea seed oil's smoking point to other oils (pdf)

Very High in Good fat, Very Low in Bad fat

Every cooking oil consists mostly of a mixture of monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat and saturated fat. Minimization of the harmful saturated fat content in favor of beneficial monounsaturated content is the key.

Emerald Harvest Tea seed oil is most effective in achieving this balance with:

* A high level of monounsaturated fat
* A low level of saturated fat
* A healthy level of polyunsaturated fat

Monounsaturated Fat
Monunsaturated fats are critical for health by lowering the levels of "bad" LDL-cholesterol and maintaining levels of "good" HDL-cholesterol in the human body.
Compare tea seed oil's monosaturated fat levels to other oils (pdf)

Polyunsaturated Fat
Polyunsaturated fats are necessary for the body and protect against illness.

Saturated Fat
Saturated fat is very unhealthy, and has been positively linked to heart disease and an increase in cholesterol levels. Of all the fats, saturated fat is the most important determinant of blood cholesterol levels. Saturated fat encourages the production of LDL-cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol), thereby increasing blood cholesterol levels and the risk of heart disease.
Compare tea seed oil saturated fat levels to other oils (pdf)

If you have any other questions about Emerald Harvest Tea Seed Oil, please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Maha:

I am 56 years old but look like 32. My secret? Good healthy food cooked in best oil. Whatever I put on my skin is good and healthy oil. Just be careful with what goes in your body and out side too. If you cannot eat your make up don't put it on your face. 99% food available is full of chemicals and pesticides. I have found this wonderful cooking oil that is all natural and without any preservatives. Tea Seed Oil is excellent, healthy, all natural, organic, cold pressed, unprocessed and very inexpensive (cheaper than olive oil). Tea seed oil (also known as tea oil or camellia oil) is cold-pressed mainly from the seeds of Camellia flowers. You can visit the independent website of wikipedia and search for the Tea_oil to get the independent opinion about the benefits of this wonderful healthiest cooking oil and see the comparison charts with other oils.

Since the body absorbs anything applied to the skin, tea seed oil perfectly fits the new mantra "If you can not eat it don't apply it on your skin". Tea seed oil has excellent health benefits for both eating and external use to the body.

Emerald Harvest Tea seed oil is used by high end industries as a base oil to create natural and healthy body care products such as skin care products, soaps, hair oil, and lubricants. Tea seed oil is an all purpose cooking oil used in salad dressings, dips, marinades, baking, sauces, sautÃa9ing, stir frying and frying. The benefits of tea seed oil include: USDA Certified Organic, No trans fat, No cholesterol, Excellent source of healthy mono unsaturated fats, Very low saturated fat (lower than olive oil), Good source of healthy omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, Excellent source of Vitamin E antioxidants, Very high smoking point (252 °C, 486 °F).

1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of olive oil

Mix them together, apply on hair. Leave on for 30 min prior bath/shower and shampoo and condition as normal. It seems to work for me.[/QUOTE]

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Ya what the heck is this all about? Tea seed oil??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by Maha

Why don't you try honey?

1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of olive oil

Mix them together, apply on hair. Leave on for 30 min prior bath/shower and shampoo and condition as normal. It seems to work for me.

I've had fantastic results using an olive oil and honey hair mask. I follow this recipe of Kassy's posted on EDS:

Quote: Originally Posted by

1 Mason jar (or any glass jar with lid you have on hand)
2 TBS lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1 cup of honey (raw from health food or Whole Foods store is best!)
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil (very dry or overprocessed, use 1/2!)

Put all in jar and stir/shake well. It will get better as it sits, so make a day or so in advance.. Storing at room temp is fine. If you want to keep it in fridge, just decant what you need about an hour prior to use.

Scoop out enough to coat all of hair from root to tips. Comb through all of hair with a wide tooth comb or hair pick, pile hair on top of head, cover with a plastic shower cap or Saran Wrap, leave on at least 30 minutes (an hour is great!), and shampoo as usual.

For a more intense treatment apply heat with your blow dryer once you've put the plastic on, for 5 minutes.

My hair was terribly dry and damaged from over-styling. I use a blow dryer and flat iron almost daily (I know, I'm bad!
). But using this treatment once a week has really made a difference. I just had my hair done last week and my stylist commented on how healthy and shiny my hair was. I've never been told that before!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wendy
Hi Wendy,

This is not a home remedy as such, but have you tried Snövik 21 Forever range? When my hair was 'super over bleached' and it was really dry my hair dresser recommended this range, the shampoo and conditioner are really deep moisturising, and it's actually especially formulated for chemically treated hair. It's also really good for smoothing coarse hair, leaves it super soft and manageable.. And the bottles are soo cute and pink!

Although you've tried a lot of stuff already, I deeply recommend those, because they sorted out my hair! This is my 'wonder stuff!'
They are available in salons, but you can also but them from the online store

SNOVIK Hair Care - Shampoo / conditioner / treatments / styling products / advanced haircare

i've never really tried any home remedies for hair, so this is my advice, I hope your hair gets better soon!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The best that I know of tested, tried and true are: coconut oil, or the mayonaise. Warm up some Hellman's mayo 2 tbs in the microwave, till warm, add a teas, of oil (olive or coconut) then mix, put the slop on your hair wrap in saran wrap, or clear plastic bag, then a towel over that- anywhere fron 1/2 to full hour. Then wash your hair as you normally would. This relaxes and softens hair!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts