Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking of learning yoga and I hope it won't be so difficult as it sounds!

Does anybody here practise yoga? Would love to know more on this and which postures would you recommend for a starter like me?
Can I do it at home or is it necessary to join a class?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I do Ashtanga yoga it is very strenuous. I would recommend you get a dvd or book that can walk you through the positions as well as breathing techniques. It is too hard to really explain on internet and best done in a dvd or class setting. Some yoga is meant to just relax and revitalise and other yoga is actually meant to tone and strengthen (all yoga tones to a degree). It really depends what you are looking for. It is not at all hard once you get a hang of it and the beauty is that if you invest in learning you cand do it essentially anywhere you are.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi Lexi, if you want to learn Yoga and have fun at the same time purchase the Wii Fitness...I Love it, it's great for core muscles! Wii teaches you the basic of yoga which surprisingly, is quite difficult at first but the more practice the better you become. They also have many other workout choices such as cardiovascular, muscle training etc... Wii shows your weight, BMI Fitness age. The more you do at these excercises they add more to each catagory. It is so much fun and it's a great workout!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do Ashtanga yoga it is very strenuous. I would recommend you get a dvd or book that can walk you through the positions as well as breathing techniques. It is too hard to really explain on internet and best done in a dvd or class setting. Some yoga is meant to just relax and revitalise and other yoga is actually meant to tone and strengthen (all yoga tones to a degree). It really depends what you are looking for. It is not at all hard once you get a hang of it and the beauty is that if you invest in learning you cand do it essentially anywhere you are.
Thanks for your helpful reply, Lexi. Actually, I am thinking of yoga to lose some weight which I have accumulated during the last couple of years
and also for my general well-being. Can you pls recommend a good dvd for beginners if you know of one? I have been doing some reading and there is one posture for beginners which is supposed to help tone the body and lead to weight loss. It's called surya namaskar. Have you tried this?

I completely agree with you that reading and watching how to perform yoga are 2 different things. I have been trying to understand some easy postures by reading online but unfortunately I am more than confused!
Dvd is a gr8 idea. DO you think I can learn yoga solely from DVDs and tutorials without attending a yoga class?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
If you are a first time yoga enthusiast you should def go to classes. A good teacher can correct your postures to be sure you are getting them right. Positioning is everything in yoga, you can't be sloppy about your asanas.

It will also help you center yourself and get to the root of why you do what you do and think what you think. It's so much more than a physical exercise! It's a way of life. Hatha yoga is the easiest to start with I think. Kundalini yoga is another form that is a great tune-up every morning and doesn't require much knowledge of asanas. You just follow the instructor's voice:

http://www.amazon.com/Kundalini-Yoga.../dp/B000NVKZW4

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice, Fawnie. You're right. As a first-time yoga enthusiast , it's better I attend some classes first to get my postures right.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for your helpful reply, Lexi. Actually, I am thinking of yoga to lose some weight which I have accumulated during the last couple of years
and also for my general well-being. Can you pls recommend a good dvd for beginners if you know of one? I have been doing some reading and there is one posture for beginners which is supposed to help tone the body and lead to weight loss. It's called surya namaskar. Have you tried this?

I completely agree with you that reading and watching how to perform yoga are 2 different things. I have been trying to understand some easy postures by reading online but unfortunately I am more than confused!
Dvd is a gr8 idea. DO you think I can learn yoga solely from DVDs and tutorials without attending a yoga class?
As others have mentioned. Learning the postures and the correct form is most important. In order of the most valuable for a beginner, I would recommend 1) a formal class at your local fitness center; 2) Wii/video; 3) books, journal or online yoga forum or newsletter for continuing education.

Once you get your postures down, I think the best "weight-loss" yoga is Bikram, a form of Hatha yoga, which incorporates 26 postures; moderately high-humidity; and heat. Specific postures in the 26-series of postures or (asanas) are designed for weight loss. It is also quite beneficial for the skin.

Namaste.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I need to get back to doing yoga. Me and my kids got yoga mats and some DVD's for Christmas last year. Then I took daily classes at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird when we stayed there for a week. I loved it! But then life got busy and I haven't done it in months.

The classes were helpful because I discovered that in many of the poses I had to be careful not to hyper extend some of my joints. Me and my kids all have lose joints and our knees very easily hyper extend. I didn't know you could hyper extend in yoga as one of the purposes is to help with flexibility.

So I'd suggest both as well. Yoga can easily be done at home, but an instructor can really help you learn how to do some of those poses.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yoga is amazing! I also recommend doing it with pilates for a good core and ab workout! I think it is best to start taking classes so that you are getting the poses correct so that you don't hurt yourself and work the correct muscles for each position. Most health clubs offer free yoga classes to members if you go to a gym.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

You are talking about the "sun salutation". It is good but I think Fawnie and others are right, a class is BEST. You have someone who will correct you right away and also teach you how to best do it. When you are learning you ironically will tend to do things as you learn them, even if you learn wrong, we all do. So it is best to have the power of an instructor to teach you right, like when a child learns to say things that are wrong they tend to continue it (English example is the word spaghetti---pasketti). Don't want to be contorting your contortions.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your helpful replies, everyone. Very much apreciated.
I am looking forward to some yoga classes now. I hope I won't find it too hard..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
There are beginner classes Pumi and the instructor will help you! Go at your own pace. You don't have to compete in yoga or be fast or even finish! Just enjoy!

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It tones the internal organs, the muscles and ligaments and tendons, and promotes a sense of centered-ness. It trains the breathing so that the mind and body are one. Yoga means "yoke". Mind/body oneness. And it's fun!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi pumi,
Yoga is a art of living happy life.The yoga system has 8 parts.ASAN is only 1 part of yoga.If body is kept in 1 posture and 1 feels good,it is known as ASAN.iN hATH YOGA 84 ASANS havebeen described.Thease asans calms our body and mind,makes us strong

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi pumi,
Yoga is a art of living happy life.The yoga system has 8 parts.ASAN is only 1 part of yoga.If body is kept in 1 posture and 1 feels good,it is known as ASAN.iN hATH YOGA 84 ASANS havebeen described.Thease asans calms our body and mind,makes us strong,makes will power strong,it is like antiaging.Thease are only few benifits.It is a complete science.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts