Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this in essence differ from person to person, or does it have a general affect on each and all. I myself do not have any dietary restriction (except from being vegan). Although, I do avoid the sun religiously. Could, let's say... potato chips be one of the many culprits, regarding inducing and thereby worsen one's rosacea? Does specific foods permanently worsen rosacea, or does it simply just make one flush for a while, or some kid of a semi-permanent (that fades away in a matter of days)?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Rosacea is an inflammatory condition: any high glycaemic index food causes blood sugar peaks and troughs which promote inflammation and an imbalance of fats in the diet can also have a negative effect. Diet can have both an acute (short term) and chronic (long term) effect on rosacea. Trigger foods vary from person to person but some are very common. Being vegan is quite a major dietary restriction IMO!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Consuming too much sugar and caffeine makes my rosacea flare up, even now that I've been on retin-a long enough to be down to maintenance use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
it is important to avoid hot foods (in temperature and spiciness), alcohol, caffeine, and Niacin rich peanuts, which make blood vessels swell and make the skin appear redder

·
Registered
5 Posts
My reddened skin was bad enough during winters that my mother told me I should make an appointment in case I had rosacea. Warm/hot weather it was usually slightly red. But since it's warm 10 months/year where I live, I kept postponing making an appointment, thinking I'd add on the possible-rosacea to an appointment for something else, then of course forgot about it during warm weather.

Meanwhile, my IBS had been worsening and worsening. Also diagnosed with insulin resistance* during this time. With the help of my 3rd GI, I was able to narrow down my main IBS triggers, so at least I learned what to avoid, decreasing how much weak-narcotics I had to take for the painful, inflammatory-type IBS.

My personal worst IBS trigger was Carrageenan, which was odd since it barely bothered others. And since it was used to purposely induce inflammation for anti-inflammatory tests by jabbing/injecting carrageenan INTO TISSUE of test animals, that got me to thinking perhaps I might have Leaky Gut causing my IBS, allowing the carrageenan to pass into my intestinal tissue, triggering extreme inflammation+pain just like in the test animals.

My new'ish GP actually listened, but decided against the Mannitol/Lactulose test to confirm Leaky Gut, but did put me on a strict, almost Keto diet, as she'd recently attended a Leaky Gut seminar that suggested that. No sugars, starches, grains (esp no Gluten), alcohol. Limit non-starch, complex carbs to high-nutrient veg, & berries in small amounts. I read that nightshade might slow healing guts, so am limiting those for a month or so also. I'd mostly been avoiding additives/preservatives for the last 2 years, so I'm thinking it was the unhealthy carbs/gluten that made the difference.

Since starting this rather extreme diet, I notice my face one day was almost perfectly pale in a glowy way, not a sickly pale. I looked in the mirror more closely and looked closely for redness. Hardly any!

I've fallen off the wagon the last few weeks due to losing my FIL, and probably will lose my Daddy soon too. Not only did I eat gluten on 3 different occasions while DH was out of town for his father's burial, but I started smoking again. I haven't had a bad IBS (2 slight IBS in the last few weeks), but my skin isn't glowy pale like it was when my diet was compliant. Skin has a slight red tint again, but doesn't have course areas like last year.

ETA: I recently read that Leaky Gut contributes to/can cause *Insulin Resistance. Maybe as my gut heals, my A1C's will lower. My FBS has never been an issue, but my post-prandials all were high last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts