Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people say vaseline (petroleum jelly) makes the skin softer. Does it also darken the skin? Or, lighten it? Is it good for the skin at all?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I know some people use it on their face. I don't think it has properties to lighten or darken skin, but I wouldn't put it on my face since its simply too greasy and make you break out.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
It will attract the sun & the sun will cause darkening. It is non organic petrolatum & is really no good for your skin.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I use Vaseline only in winter for my dry and flaky skin. I don't know if it darkens the skin but I wouldn't advise to use on face.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You should avoid using vaseline altogether. It's not as healthy as it seems and you have to remember that its a petroleum product. There are always better alternatives available.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I do like to use it on my feet in the winter. I massage them with vaseline at night and then put thick warm cotton socks on. In the morning they are very soft and supple. There is probably better heavy foot creams but you can't beat the price!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vaseline is too oily to put on the face. I think it wouldnt really chnage skin composition or have any adverse effects on skin color. Also why would you want to darken skin?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
With all of the choices out there in skin creams, vaseline (petroleum jelly) seems like a very bad one. What would lead you to put this on your face?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i used vaseline before and boy did i get really really dark.no joke at all.am naturally light but not too light though but it really didn't agree with my skin.bad results

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
It attracts the sun because it is a petroleum product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yeah..i had been suferin from dry n flaky skin..n resorted to vaseline..no doubt it offered the best solutuin to the prob...but i noticed that it started to darken my skin ...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Tyra Banks swears by vaseline. She says this is her ultimate beauty secret (yeah right) also I remember their being talk that Marilyn Monroe put vaseline on her face to make her skin look dewey so people might use it for this reason

I used to put Palmer's cocoa butter on my face as a teen. for awhile I used to have a lot of blackheads on my nose and never knew why..I discovered that the cream was too thick and was clogging my pores. After I stopped using it the blackheads on my nose went away

1 - 18 of 18 Posts