1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently came across this video by Dr Davin Lim (Certified Dermatologist):

SKIN LIGHTENING- 5 Best Dermatology Tips

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were with regards to what he has suggested? (more the topical suggestions in the first 5 minutes, not so much the IV meds which as he says is controversial).

Thanks..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
His first tip is to use Neostrata (Glycoyclic Acid) daily at night.

What are people's thoughts on this Vs weekly peels?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Although this guy is good at treating deep acne scars from the videos and reputation he has; research shows that glycolic acid can actually burn dark skin because it is comprised of very small molecules that penetrate deep into the skin unevenly causing hot spots, so most dermatologists of color recommend against using Glycolic for skin of color, instead use Lactic acid, mandelic, PHA, as they have large molecules and hydrating effect on skin of color. Also, countless members on this forum has had success with Lactic Acid in lightening than glycolic.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Good seeing you @LightenNLift , I love seeing the ogs back :) I agree with Lactic Acid is perfect for my dark skin, Kojic acid is second < together they work for me too

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys have a link for the brand/method of using lactic acid that you are suggesting?

Thanks..

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Oh no, I already ordered some Neostrata and its here... :(
Use it, you won't know if it will work for you until you try it yourself. I've tried a few of their products. Also, just know from years of personal experience with Derms, they ALL push certain brands and products. Doesn't mean they work better then others, it just means that is the brand/line they carry in their office. So if this one is pushing Neostrata, its because it helps his pocketbook. Its up to you to do your research to find out if its something you want to try, don't choose it based on watching a video! This is called "marketing", and it obviously worked since you purchased it.

As for Lactic Acid, its awesome, I use it as a peel and in LA lotion, pick your poison, here are a few to choose from...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts