Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. When I take a shower I wash my face with water ONLY and it is always dry and itchy afterwards. I used to use Johnson's Facial Moisturiser but I also have acne and this always made it worse, which I don't want. Is there a single product out there that will stop my skin from being dry and itchy but not make my skin oily and make my acne worse?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
No way will just using water on your face come even close to getting it properly cleaned.
This I would suspect is one of the contributing factors in your skin problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
maybe your shower is too hot--very drying
try oil free moisturizer for the face. use face products on the face and body products on the body

·
Registered
35 Posts
Getting on a proper acne prone skin care regimen will get you started in the right direction. Including a moisturizer designed for oily skin will not contribute to a more greasy complexion but serve as a moisture barrier to retain moisture helping to prevent dryness and itchiness.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Do these help the shower water come out any stronger do you know, i hate not being able to have a power shower in the flat?

Oh and a jacuzzi would be nice too, any ideas on building my own jacuzzi would be good, anyone?

·
Registered
28 Posts
... me too, would love a power shower. like you, live in a flat so not enough overhead pressure... i make my own jacuzzi

naughty blaze

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Do these help the shower water come out any stronger do you know, i hate not being able to have a power shower in the flat?

Oh and a jacuzzi would be nice too, any ideas on building my own jacuzzi would be good, anyone?
You would have to check the specs with the manufacturers.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,768 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. When I take a shower I wash my face with water ONLY and it is always dry and itchy afterwards. I used to use Johnson's Facial Moisturiser but I also have acne and this always made it worse, which I don't want. Is there a single product out there that will stop my skin from being dry and itchy but not make my skin oily and make my acne worse?

Thanks guys
Coming from a person who has fought acne most of my life, and just finished a course of Accutane, my advice would be....washing with just water and applying facial moisturiser, you bet your acne will get worse! Over time you are just blocking your pores. Which in time causes your face to break out.

You need to cleanse your face getting the products you have applied off at least once a day. While I was on Accutane, I washed with cleanser at night, then in the morning rinsed with just water. But this was only because I was on Accutane and my face had ZERO oil. Now being off Accutane, I still wash at night with a face wash and in the morning use just a little face wash. Then start applying my products.

If you find the right face wash, you should not have any drying of the skin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coming from a person who has fought acne most of my life, and just finished a course of Accutane, my advice would be....washing with just water and applying facial moisturiser, you bet your acne will get worse! Over time you are just blocking your pores. Which in time causes your face to break out.

You need to cleanse your face getting the products you have applied off at least once a day. While I was on Accutane, I washed with cleanser at night, then in the morning rinsed with just water. But this was only because I was on Accutane and my face had ZERO oil. Now being off Accutane, I still wash at night with a face wash and in the morning use just a little face wash. Then start applying my products.

If you find the right face wash, you should not have any drying of the skin.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My skin is also affected badly after a shower, even though I use only water. And to the guy suggesting washing properly with a cleanser, it's not useful for one suffering from dry skin as it only tightens and dries it further. I've used many cleansers with the theory it'll clean off the dry bits revealing a fresh new skin from under, but it doesn't work that way.

Try to use E45 cream. I've found the Light Body Milk (even though it says 'body') variety to be useful on the face and very very non greasy. It's the perfect cream for all over use. Try The E45 variety of creams. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's great advice from Fawnie. (as usual)

I never needed moisturizer when I had a chlorine filter in my shower. Even better, the ends of my hair stayed healthy looking much longer than usual. I have had blond highlights for many years and was able to let it grow for longer.

Then, my boyfriend remodeled the bathroom and is NOT having some clunky thing attached to his fixtures (he he
). So, I'm back to being dry and crunchy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, Mireckca -that's my boy!

We do have alot of doggy avatars here, don't we? Where are all the cat people with their pics??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Surprised no one has mentioned this- most water from a tap is hard water- this is very likely to make your skin feel tight and also deposit lime (in small quantities) on your skin.

I would second the above to get a water filter- not just to take out the chlorine.

Washing with a cleanser would also really help you- and an explain would help any build up caused by what was left in the water and your skin. If your worried about the ingredients, try companies which use natural ingredients, Lush, Origins, Body Shop use mainly natural stuff, or even try natural home-made cleansers which I am sure there are many books on. But don't skip that step- you may not see it now if you are young, but it will contribute to fine lines appearing earlier then they otherwise would!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts