Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had dry skin but this eczema is totally new to me.

I have eczema on my arms and elbows. I find little patches here and there on my chest and legs,but they seem to go away.

I routinely moisturize (shea butter and cocoa butter oil together) and nothing has helped.

Can someone please suggest something they bought that help cure it? I desperately want to go to the dermatologist but my health insurance doesn't kick in for another 2 months (have to be at my job for 90 days). I can't afford to go to the doc now because it's too much to pay out of pocket.

I've been rubbing vitamin e oil on it nightly and i'm hoping it will help.

but it's getting hotter and im tired of wearing sweaters every day. I just want to look normal :/

·
Registered
108 Posts
My daughter has had eczema all her life, and all any doctor has ever given her is a cortisone cream to use (over the counter just about everywhere)...but with the caution that repeated, continued use will thin the skin considerably. So she would use it for a bit until the rash subsided, then quit, then it would come back again, etc.

She's used a ton of different products, and all of them helped, but only a few helped better than others. The more moisturized, the less itch seems to be the theme. The best products thus far have been Lac-Hyrdin or AmLactin (12% lactic acid lotions), and 100% jojoba oil. Shea butter didn't work for her. She would alternate the lactic acid lotion one time a day, and the jojoba oil at night. It helps clear up the itchy patches within a day or two, and she gets really bad places on her elbows.

Sunlight seems to help, believe it or not. We lived in the UK for several years and her skin was worse there than ever - hard water was terrible for her skin. Now that we're in the states, it's improved, but she still has spells. I'm guessing you do too?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My parents never mentioned eczema when I was a child, but I remember ALWAYS having to put on lotion for just being dry or "ashy". Los Angeles is a really dry city. When I visit my dad in miami everything changes! My skin is very moisturized, my hair is good...etc, it's like what my genes need lol.

I went to target and bought some aveeno soothing bath: SOOTHING BATH TREATMENT | AVEENOÂae Skin Care Products

I don't notice a difference, but Ill keep trying it and see. I'm definately going to buy the lachydrin and the jojoba oil. Where did you find them? Online? Or in like whole foods?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I found the Lac-Hydrin online (drugstore dot com), but the AmLactin at a Walgreens. I think Walmart sells these too in the lotions aisle. My daughter never had much luck with the Aveeno and oatmeal products. But again, everyone is different and I hope these work with you. The jojoba is something I had to buy online, but you can locate it in some health food stores. Just try to get pure jojoba, not something with alcohol in it. It goes on like an oil, but is quickly absorbed and doesn't stay on the surface all greasy. It's great for the scalp too, btw. I think I bought mine at Coastal Scents dot com...don't remember now. If you don't care for the scent, you can add a little essential oil to it of your choice. Hope you get some relief.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts