Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use them, mostly because they're cheap and their tone is close to my skin color (although my skin is more yellow than the brown Tone 4) but I'm having a problem keeping it ON my face. It rubs off SO easily and I have to reapply almost every hour. What can I do to keep it from rubbing off so easily, or what is a better option?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one and it's kind of itchy, to be honest. Haha. It's good for spreading though! Pfft, you get what you get for a dollar. :p

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Very true.
Some of my best brushes I've had for 11 years. With good care they can last a long time. My travel brushes (a Japonesque set in an aluminum tube) were cheaper but they even have lasted 8 years with intermittent use.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Very true.
Some of my best brushes I've had for 11 years. With good care they can last a long time. My travel brushes (a Japonesque set in an aluminum tube) were cheaper but they even have lasted 8 years with intermittent use.
Fawnie - what is the secret to good brush care? I have some brush cleaner from Sephora but am not sure how to use it (it come in a spray bottle) or how often. And do some folks use baby shampoo? I always just used dish soap on mine, but now I've accumulated a couple of more expensive ones that I need to care for properly. Thanks!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well I think that Sephora brush cleaner is fine for the store when they don't have soap and water available, but it might be a bit harsh. I used to use Bobbi Brown's brush cleaner because I liked the peppermint smell. Too expensive. Now I just use shampoo - the non-SLS stuff! Lay them flat to dry thoroughly. If you stand them up to dry the water gets into the ferrell and can damage the brush. Treat them like you would your hair...or a fine fur!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Now I just use shampoo - the non-SLS stuff! Lay them flat to dry thoroughly. If you stand them up to dry the water gets into the ferrell and can damage the brush. Treat them like you would your hair...or a fine fur!
So do you apply some of the shampoo to the bristles and then rinse them well. Or do you soak them in soapy water and then rinse them?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mireckca, I wet the brushes a couple at a time. Then put a pinch of shampoo in my hand and squeeze it into the brushes and lather like I'm giving them a shampoo! Then rinse well and air-dry.

This is just my way - there may be better ways! I think soaking would damage the hairs, like soaking your hair in soapy water!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This is just my way - there may be better ways! I think soaking would damage the hairs, like soaking your hair in soapy water!
I agree. I used to soak a nice brush that I had and it started losing bristles. Thanks for your detailed explanation - I appreciate it!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use handsoap. I just squirt some on my hand and rub the bristles against my hand and rinse right after I use it. It works great for liner brushes. Once a week, for my kabuki brushes and blush brushes, I use my Shiseido gentle foaming cleanser. It cleans all the make up off and at the same time, I'd give my liner brushes a thorough wash. i hang them bristle end down.

As for the ELF make-up, I use the Monostat Anti-chafing gel as a primer...goes on smooth and keeps the make-up on. Lately, I'd been applying the mineral foundation wet. A spritzer bottle of water or MAC fix+ or Evian or whatever similar, spray on buki brush, dab mineral foundation, dab on face then buff. Finish with some translucent powder using a powder brush... stays on all day even when it is sweaty hot outside. It gives you a dewy look and cuts the powdery look of the mineral makeup.

I use the blush/bronzer combo from ELF... stays on for 9-10hrs without a re-application. No exageration, that was yesterday and it was WARM out here in Vancouver, BC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts