Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have advice or suggestions on how to get rid of dark skin patches between the thighs --- caused by upper thighs rubbing together when walking etc.?

In my case this problem was created due to being overweight for about 10 years. I joined Weight Watchers last fall and have lost 45 lbs. so far, but still have a ways to go.

I am really embarrassed about this problem. I don't even want to get into a swimsuit to take swim class at the Y.

This weekend I spent $50 at Ulta on a bunch of Alpha Hydrox products including a skin lightening cream and everyday lotion. The label says 10% alpha hydroxy and to apply twice a day for three months, and I have now started that regimen.

I also got a sugar scrub exfoliator which I plan to use once or twice a week in that area.

I'm hoping I can afford to get to a dermatologist this summer for professional advice but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone here has some input. Will the Alpha Hydrox work or am I wasting my money/time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I am really embarrassed about this problem. I don't even want to get into a swimsuit to take swim class at the Y.
I hope that these products work for you - but please don't let this discoloration stop you from wearing a swimsuit or shorts this summer. It should fade with time, and in the interim - don't worry about what others might think. They probably won't even notice, and if they do, shame on them! It's not your problem. You have accomplished a great feat and should feel proud of yourself. I lost 60 pounds last summer and there is nothing that is going to keep me out of shorts this year (I don't swim).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I am using the Alpha Hydrox lotion twice a day and am going to keep at it for the next month or two if necessary.

I am hoping this works but if it doesn't -- I should be able to afford a dermatologist sometime this summer and that would be my next step.

I really want to get this problem under control.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
First off, congratulations on your weight loss! 45 lbs is a lot to lose & keep off. As for the pigmentation, I have a friend who suddenly became very heavy from the side effects of a medication she was prescribed. Her thighs became large & the same thing happened to her. First, she made a pair of weightless cotton batiste shorts. They did not show or add heat or weight under her clothing. This prevented any further friction from skin rubbing together. Then, she used Neo Strata body lotion with Glycolic acid in it. Over time, the problem went away. As for being embarrassed to appear in a swinsuit because of this, Dermablend makes a waterprof foundation that'll conceal the problem completely until you complete your treatment of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ondine,
Thank you for your reply!

Do you know how long it took for your friend's problem to go away?

I used the Alpha Hydroxy brand for a month -- twice a day --- and didn't notice any difference and gave up.

I'll go look for the Neo Strata brand but in the meantime I'm wondering how long it takes for the product to work. If you know, pass it along... thanks again! I'm so discouraged about this! I'm going to a dermatologist in June to get a vein treatment for my legs... so while I'm there I'll ask them and see what they say, too.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
So long as friction is present, no cream will remove the pigmentation. You need to eradicate the original problem. Hers took about 6 months or so.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've not heard that friction causes dark skin. This is something new to me. Do you have dark patches in other places, such as under arms, back of neck, or even the waist? I've been told by a dermatologist and regular doctor that dark areas can result from hormone changes (birth control pills, menopause), or insulin problems like metabolic syndrome. Of course, pregnancy is a hormone condition and will change nipple color and genital area too. That is when I began to have the same problem.

I've just started using Hydroquinone 4% twice daily, and am hoping to see results in about a month. What you bought at Ulta has 2% hydroquinone, but I've heard many people get good results with that and less irritation. Anything that lightens skin is worth a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts