Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one tell me about Emu Oil. I hear a lot of good things about it. Is one brand better the another brand, any particulars I should know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I buy from Uneet.com...then click the link for EMU oils. I love it for massage lotion because it seems to heal sore muscles. I also have some with oil of oregano in it which works even better for healing injured muscles (can you tell I get hurt a lot hahaha...not hurt...just sore). My Mother uses it on her joints (she has arthritis) and says that it helps. It is also great for making your skin soft.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I buy from Uneet.com...then click the link for EMU oils. I love it for massage lotion because it seems to heal sore muscles. I also have some with oil of oregano in it which works even better for healing injured muscles (can you tell I get hurt a lot hahaha...not hurt...just sore). My Mother uses it on her joints (she has arthritis) and says that it helps. It is also great for making your skin soft.
Is this the one, SJA??Emu Oil for Cold Sores - fever blisters
Does the eucalyptus really smell strong?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
LOL I just started a thread about this stuff! I got mine in the mail yesterday! AMAZING STUFF!!!!!! OMG! I'm in LOVE! ::::heartbeat::::

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wonder how they extract this...do they have to kill the bird? I looked it up and found this on wiki answers regarding the origin of emu oil:

"The use of emu oil was first discovered in 1786 in Darwin, Australia. Renowned Swiss Dr. Whitfenstein discovered it while making emu soup. He forgot about the soup for several hours and came back to find that a thick, gelatenous substance had risen to the surface. Whitfenstein tasted the material, and finding it utterly repugnant, threw it out at once. He did notice, however, that the residue left on his lip was quite soothing, and he salvaged some of this "oil" for further experimentation. He was able to solidify the oil by mixing it in melted bee propolyn, which he kept in a glass jar and used to mitigate the burning effects of the harsh Australian sun. Whitfenstein continued processing emu oil by boiling the fatty tissues of the bird found concentrated in the lymphatic glands and fatty tissues of the breast and thighs. Today, emu's are grown commercially for their meat and several small businesses are continuing to take advantage of this benificial by-product."

·
Registered
316 Posts
After further research it does appear they have to kill the bird for the oil. It looks like they use the old method of boiling it and letting it sit so that all the fat raises to the top. I'm not a vegetarian or anything so I can't raise a stink about this, but with how popular emu oil is it makes me wonder how this will effect the future of those birds.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Oh...... that makes me sad! I'm by no means in PETA, but I don't like the idea of an Emu being KILLED for the oil!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh...... that makes me sad! I'm by no means in PETA, but I don't like the idea of an Emu being KILLED for the oil!!!!
Yeah it makes me sad too. Also a little grossed out to smear bird fat on my face. Lol. I've used it in the past and it wasn't really for me because I have oily skin. I've found jojoba oil to be a godsend - doesn't clog pores, moisturizes. But it's better suited for oily skin, acne prone individuals.

Oh, also - I ended up giving the emu oil to my mom who had just gotten foot surgery. She used it on the wound, which wasn't healing well and it helped it heal SO much once she started applying it. Works well for some people!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Yeah it makes me sad too. Also a little grossed out to smear bird fat on my face. Lol. I've used it in the past and it wasn't really for me because I have oily skin. I've found jojoba oil to be a godsend - doesn't clog pores, moisturizes. But it's better suited for oily skin, acne prone individuals.
My skin is dry and I also live in a VERY dry climate. Now that I know that the birds are slaughtered for the oil I'm not buying any more.
I'll stick to plant/other oils.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My skin is dry and I also live in a VERY dry climate. Now that I know that the birds are slaughtered for the oil I'm not buying any more.
Have you tried coconut oil? How about shea butter? Both are very moisturizing and come from plants.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry to burst your (emu oil) bubble.
I hope you can find something just as good that doesn't involve killing innocent birdies.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Van, It really doesn't smell like roses!! LOL.

Hazelnut oil is OK to use on oily skin, and pomegranate seed oil has loads of anti-oxidants. Neem oil is antibacterial, but has a distinctive nutty aroma that you might not like on your face. Mountainroseherbs has very fine quality organic oils!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll have to check those out. I've had really great results with jojoba oil.

Speaking of which, my face feels sooo dry and irritated right now. I have no idea why. I am sitting at work and can't wait to go home and slather oil on it. I went to the bathroom and it was all red too...???

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Thanks so much for the link and info. I don't know a lot about oils for the face.
sandia I am a big fan of emu oil myself. Since being a member here out of respect for fawnie-
I have not used my emu in awhile. If you like emu, I recommend you try grapeseed oil or sweet almond or jojoba. All 3 work very good, if not better. When I need just a little extra moisture I use grapeseed or sweet almond, when I am feeling a little on the dry side, I use the jojoba.

I mix avocado oil or coconut oil in most of my body lotions-

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
sandia I am a big fan of emu oil myself. Since being a member here out of respect for fawnie-
I have not used my emu in awhile. If you like emu, I recommend you try grapeseed oil or sweet almond or jojoba. All 3 work very good, if not better. When I need just a little extra moisture I use grapeseed or sweet almond, when I am feeling a little on the dry side, I use the jojoba.

I mix avocado oil or coconut oil in most of my body lotions-
Thanks, Gymrat!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts