Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick thread giving you tips on how to enhance lightening products that don't seem to be working or work very slowly. Lightening takes a lot of time and money and it can be irritating to buy a hyped up product only to realize it takes ages to "kick in". Here are some tips to boost your product:

1. LA lotion. LA lotion is my best friend, it will boost most products and make them much more effective than using the product by itself. SImply apply your DIY or store bought LA lotion, wait 2-3 minutes for it to sink in then apply your lightener. The same method can be applied with GA as well (assuming your skin can handle GA, it is a tad bit stronger than LA and will burn if abused)

2. RA - Retin A also enhances the performance of lighteners. For all the HQ fans dermatologists recommend HQ/RA formulations as one of the best recipes for skin lightening. RA syncs with HQ like peanut butter and jelly
.... If you are a first time RA user, always start with a low percentage (0.025) and work your way up. Use only at night and always wear sunscreen.

3. GPO - Green Peeling oil is a great skin peeler, once used correctly. It will take away the dead skin and allow your lightener to penetrate easier.

4. Occluding - Occluding is great for hard to lighten areas such as hands/knuckles/feet and will allow the lightener to penetrate better.NOTE: I do not advise occluding with acids. Many persons on here have tried occluding with kojie san, LA etc and ended up getting burnt. Stick to regular lighteners.

5. Chemical Peels - LA and SA peels give great results when done over a period of time. A series of peels are best, one peel will not give you the results you desire. I got great results from doing a peel once every week, breaking for two weeks and starting again. If you aren't accustomed to peels start with a low concentration and work your way up, read the sticky on LA peels before attempting one. Do this in the cooler months of fall and winter i

6. Serums - Serums are usually very concentrated and work great to boost your cream and lotion. Add one or two bottles.

7. Use gels instead of creams - When looking for a face regimen gel based products are almost always stronger than the cream version.

8. If you prefer layering over mixing, always layer products according to their consistency for best results. As a rule of thumb the liquid/lighter products are applied first so serum/oil - gel - lotion - cream.

9. Take your supplements everyday and eat healthy - promoting clear skin from the inside out is very important. Drink lots of water and increase your intake of green and leafy vegetables. For HQ users liver cleanses and detoxes can be quite helpful.

10. Combine lightening ingredients - This rings especially true for those who DIY products. Some good combinations are HQ/KA, Arbutin/KA, HQ/Sepiwhite, Sepiwhite/Arbutin, Arbutin/Niacinamide, Azelaic Acid/Licorice/Arbutin

11. Apply vitamin C serum in the mornings. This enhances the protection of your sunscreen.

Disclaimer: These are methods that have worked for ME. Depending on your skin type you may need to tweak some of the tips. Every situation is different. HTH

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Nice thread Utopianbeauty you said you had good resulting doing peels every week can you help me on this.. how many percent have you be doing. I have done peel just interested in your way..

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
5. Chemical Peels - LA and SA peels give great results when done over a period of time. A series of peels are best, one peel will not give you the results you desire. I got great results from doing a peel once every week, breaking for two weeks and starting again. If you aren't accustomed to peels start with a low concentration and work your way up, read the sticky on LA peels before attempting one. Do this in the cooler months of fall and winter i
At what % can LA and SA be combined for a peel and at what duration of time should it be used before a two week break? Thank you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am using a store bought GA lotion(10%) and I am not peeling (I started last Sunday and I did not have any reaction). I use after my Dudu Osun with a KIT. Can you help me to improve my exfoliation? Where Can I find this green peel oil?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I am using a store bought GA lotion(10%) and I am not peeling (I started last Sunday and I did not have any reaction). I use after my Dudu Osun with a KIT. Can you help me to improve my exfoliation? Where Can I find this green peel oil?
Gycolic acid at 10 percent will not peel you... It's more for gentle exfoliation... A good combo would be Kojic acid soap and glycolic acid lotion.... I am assuming this is for the body exfoliation?

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice thread Utopianbeauty you said you had good resulting doing peels every week can you help me on this.. how many percent have you be doing. I have done peel just interested in your way..
I do 40% peels and leave it on for no more than 2-3 mins. IF you're a newbie to peels or have sensitive skin I'd recommend starting with 30-35%.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At what % can LA and SA be combined for a peel and at what duration of time should it be used before a two week break? Thank you.
I meant using them separately not combining them. For LA peels I did 40% and for SA I do 30%. If you are new to peels start at a lower concentration (30% for LA and 20% for SA).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Utopianbeautygreat thread, thanks a million.Supposing I do a chemical peel wit a GPO or LA,how many days interval will I need to wait before applying my lighting products !

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Utopianbeautygreat thread, thanks a million.Supposing I do a chemical peel wit a GPO or LA,how many days interval will I need to wait before applying my lighting products !
For GPO wait until the area is fully peeled. For LA wait for 24-48 hours.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I do 40% peels and leave it on for no more than 2-3 mins. IF you're a newbie to peels or have sensitive skin I'd recommend starting with 30-35%.
Thanks very much am not newbie I guess with 2-3mins it's only micro peel you??? So what if I leave on my body like for 10hours how many days interval can I do another peel and also if i apply 40percent today and the next day after I finish peeling how many days should I wait to do another peel????

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I didn't know gels were more potent than creams.

Lactic acid lotion really is the good stuff. I've started using it again after a while and I'm stunned at how bright and smooth my skin is getting already.

1 - 20 of 542 Posts