Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I was going to post this on another thread but thought I better start a new one. What are reputable companies to buy essential oils from?

I have bought some from Mountain Rose Herbs. Mountain Rose Herbs | Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils

Is the Now brand at local health food stores good?
I have a couple Now products. They seem to be fine. I have been using Mountain Rose as well. Kassy just gave me another place to look for oils. So you can add that to your list-

Welcome to Tropical Traditions

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I also have a couple of Now oils - sweet almond and grapeseed oil. I like them both - they are reasonably priced and readily available here in Toronto.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I did my obsessive / compulsive all nighter researching essential oils- I decided on Mountain Rose.

It was my impression that a brand called Young Living is widely considered to be the finest quality. It's more expensive than others and I couldn't figure out if it was deserved- or just good branding.

From what I learned, it seemed like therapeutic grade and organic (if possible) were the important things. And that a reputable company would make those data sheets available (sorry can't remember what they're called!).

I have some NOW products, but not essential oils. It seems like a pretty good brand, to me.

Essential oils are fascinating- good luck with your shopping!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Mountain Rose has a GREAT catalog too. Lots of great stuff to get from them-

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I usually buy essential oils like tea tree oil and rose oil from my local health shop. Just want to know if brand really matters? Are they more effective than store brand oils?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The things to look for, as Varya mentioned, are "cold-pressed" (avoiding chemicals that could be used in extraction), and "organic" (grown without chemicals).
Well, it looks like neither one of my Now oils is cold-pressed or organic (sweet almond, grapeseed). At least neither is labelled as such. Maybe that is why they were so inexpensive. They still seem to do a fine job, though.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's fine then if you are enjoying them! I think it doesn't make any difference in how the oils behave, just in the purity of them, if that is an important thing. Maybe for long term use or in the immunocompromised.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
330 Posts
I didn't know essential oils were ever 'cold-pressed'. Actually, I don't even think I've come across the term 'organic' in connection with EO's - and I've used all sorts for years.

I forget the method of extraction most commonly used... now I come to think of it, it must be some kind of cold-pressing, as heat would destroy EO's.
I had no idea I was so ignorant about EO's.

I certainly have organic and cold pressed jojoba and rosehip oil ATM. First time I've ever purchased cold-pressed carrier oils. I want to get sweet almond and also hazelnut in the cold pressed variety, next time I order from Mother Natures Goodies (based in UK and also on Ebay).

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
OOPS! maybe I got it wrong.....I was assuming that Pumi meant rosehip seed oil, a carrier oil not an EO, in which case "cold-pressed" and "organic" would be good.

If she did mean rose oil as an EO, then "steam distilled" OR "cold pressed" and "organic" would be good. Some oils are distilled by using solvents like benzene. These would only be good for perfume formulation.

This is from MountainRoseHerbs' description of some of her EOs:

All of the essential oils we stock are obtained by steam distillation of fresh plant material with two exceptions

Absolutes/Resins- are extracted with a solvent, usually alcohol and sometimes other hydrocarbons, such as benzene, hexane, etc. While they are not suitable for therapeutic aromatherapy, they do make wonderful perfumes and are alcohol soluble. Those oils which we have found to be extracted with solvents will be noted as "solvent extracted."
Citrus Oils- All citrus oils offered are distilled strictly through cold pressed methods, and no steam distillation was employed to produce these oils.
Don't be fooled into buying the cheap stuff!

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Marie, that's an interesting site. They have 11 types of lavender, my favorite EO. Also, I had forgotten about CO2 extracted oils, which that site points out.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You know Fawnie, it's my favorite one too! Lavender and also Geranium. have you heard Lavender it's also old ladies' favorites? yes, I've been told! but I don't care! it keeps the bugs away, that is my answer!

I had only bought from NewDirectionsaromatics: mint, Geranium bourson, Rosemary French, Tea tree and Bensoin and none of them impressed me to compare from other I tried, the mint doesn't tast mint, geranium doens't smell geranium, etc

this Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil - CO2 Extracted seems to be "it" . You add this to your "special cream"?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Marie,
No I have never used Seabuckthorn oil. I have only read that it is good for healing:

[quote from mountainroseherbs.com]:

Sea Buckthorn Oil
(Hippophae rhamnoides)

A useful, highly prized, and specific oil typically used to treat damaged skin, ulcerations, scar tissue, wrinkles, eczema, burns, etc. Cold extracted from whole Sea Buckthorn berries (Hippophae rhamnoides).
Can be applied directly to the skin or included within skin care preparations that are designed specifically to treat problematic skin conditions. (Some mild staining of skin may occur; this is temporary and washes off easily) This oil is exceptionally rich in essential fatty acids, carotenes, tocopherols, and phytosterols. Concentrated oil, use sparingly.
Yes, I suppose old ladies love lavender to keep the bugs away too, but it is very soothing and clean smelling. Almost peppery. And rosemary! I love it. Mixing rosemary and lavender makes a good oil for scalp massage - it makes the hair grow, according to a Scottish study.

Yes I like geranium oil! I use it to decongest the lymph along with lymph massage. Is that how you use it too?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have read Rosemary was good for hair growth, I know for sure it's good with emu oil for my itchy scalp. One treatment and the "itch" was gone! Was it the emu oi or the rosemary or both? and of course I added lavender to it.

I also read the geranium, Myrtle, rose E.O were good for wrinkles, but I have my doubts.
I've been using rose water for over 10 years after washing my face. I put the rose water on a cotton pad and wipe my face, yes it's good to take away all foundation.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also read the geranium, Myrtle, rose E.O were good for wrinkles, but I have my doubts.
I've been using rose water for over 10 years after washing my face. I put the rose water on a cotton pad and wipe my face, yes it's good to take away all foundation.[/QUOTE]

Antiaging Essential Oils to combat Wrinkles:
Violet leaf, Clary-sage, Fennel, Neroli, Rose, Galbanum, Lavender, Thyme, Patchouli, Yarrow, Chamomile German, Frankincense, Myrrh Lemom, Hyssop, Carrot, Oregano, Orange, Vervaine, Rosemary, Palma rosa, Lime.

The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood. This book is worn out I've reference it so much. THere are a billion recipes if anyone is curious for face care and just about everything else. I just got all the ingredients to make an oil cleanser that I haven't made yet.

Grapeseed oil 2 ounces
Sunflower oil 4 tsp
Seasame oil 4 tsp
Wheatgerm oil 1 tsp
Blend together then add 5 drops essential oil of your choice, blend again.

I also got vit E capsules because I didn't know with the wheat germ and all if it would stay preserved on my bathroom counter. I'm going to make it soon so I'll let you all know.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You need to refrigerate most oils. You could decant a small bottle for use in the bathroom and keep it in the dark out of the sunlight. Sun and heat and time degrade the oils.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I usually buy essential oils like tea tree oil and rose oil from my local health shop. Just want to know if brand really matters? Are they more effective than store brand oils?

Cheers.
To clear all confusion, I was refering to rose E.O oil.
Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need to refrigerate most oils. You could decant a small bottle for use in the bathroom and keep it in the dark out of the sunlight. Sun and heat and time degrade the oils.
Refridgerate oils? Please clarify. i do refridgerate for example my avacado oil, almond oil etc. but what about tea tree essential oil, lavendar essential oil? I only store those in a dark cool drawer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts