Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there besides me whose "offended" by the use of the term "Skin Whitener?????

Skin Whitener?......... I am a woman of color, I have no desire to "Whiten" my skin. "That's the route that Michale Jackson took!!!!!

Skin Brightener?.......Maybe

Fade Cream?
This sounds better to me. What I believe we all want is to even out our complexions fade, darker spots(hyperpigmentation) to match the surrounding areas of skin, no matter what our complexion is.

In other words our desire is usually to even out the complexion, ....not whiten ourselves. Pleae be aware that there are products out there that are made to "whiten the skin" (ask Micheal Jackson), and some can and will cause Hypopigmentation when applied regularly...these are not often sold in the US though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
personally I dont find it offensive but maybe politically incorrect. I guess its funny because they dont call tanning, skin "blackening"

·
Registered
582 Posts
Actually I not only want to remove spots, I would also like to lighten my skin tone in general! But NOT whiten! That's too extreme! I'm not dark to begin with so a lighter version of me won't be a total shock to people...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EXACTLY!!!!!!! You both get my point. Yes we may want to FADE areas or surfaces but I don't think were going for "whitening" unless we're brushing our teeth. Sorry, but I consider myself a very conscientious consumer, and I hate when advertisers use manipulative wording like that. ;

·
Registered
582 Posts
EXACTLY!!!!!!! You both get my point. Yes we may want to FADE areas or surfaces but I don't think were going for "whitening" unless we're brushing our teeth. Sorry, but I consider myself a very conscientious consumer, and I hate when advertisers use manipulative wording like that. ;
Yay! I'm smart! j/k! ...I mean I am smart but,... nevermind.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i remember asking another forum with african amercan women about ways to lighten my overall complexsion. and i just got a whole bunch of negativity and people wondering why i want to lighten my skin and telling me that i need to be proud of my african heritage. it was almost like i had offended these members by asking this question. i got annoyed cause its like i have to defend myself and prove that im not trying to change who i am.
what can you do. these same people that want do dis you for lightening are the same people who think you look awesome and now want to know what you are using cause they are jelouse. i personally dont care what term someone use "whitening", "toning", "lightening"... what ever. its my body, i do what i like, i know what i want and i have reasonable and realistic goals.

if black or indian person comes here and says that they want to be white (acutally like a white person) i would feel sad that they feel that way and i would advise that they talk to someone to make sure they dont have any underlying issues thats compelling them to go to this extreme but in the end i would do everything i can to make sure they know everything they need to know to do what they want safely. i would prefer someone make the biggest mistake of their lives safely then to do something stupid and seriously or permanently hurt themselves.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps the word "offended" was a bit strong. Replace that word with Bothered. I'm not moved to protest the products but I am moved to point out the "silliness" of their promotion of the product.

Beware ladies there are folks out there (Africa) with poor self images that are ruining their complexions using bleaching agents to try to lighten their complexions. 60Minutes did a special on this a few years ago, an even today I am still disturbed by the images, they looked like burn victims. So when I hear the same tactics here at home…..well it concerns me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
WHEW! It's a hot discussion... anyway, toning your skin evenly is still the right approach to any skin complexion... and toning evenly will make your skin healthy, young and radiant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not offended by it when it is being discussed in a beauty forum where someone may have a genuine interest in achieving something for themselves & aren't really interested in having a political discussion when it comes to their desires concerning their (personal) appearance.

If someone were trying to discuss how they believe someone (else) should "whiten" their skin, then yes, that would be offensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
to get even whitening effect you should perform peels and beaching agents...

12% TCA peels each 2 weeks + HQ 4% would be suitable

·
Registered
567 Posts
I know a lot of asian girls who want to whiten their skin. I'm not trying to whiten my skin, but I dont find it offensive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If Micheal was alive then I would ask him, but may he R.I.P, feels very unnecessary to bring him up.
I'm not sure if im right so please do not bash me, but when you are using Skin whiteners I often found the skin to look very bleach out or washed out. Plus why would you find it offensive when the cream is obviously made for people who wants to look whiter, plus is there really a difference between skin whiteners and fade creamse when the results is almost the same? You basiclly get 3-4 shade lighter!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts