Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what order should you be doing your skincare routine? May sound elementary but I have heard many conflicting methods of cleanse first to remove dirt/makeup then exfoliate or exfoliate first to open pores and then cleanse.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I always wash first then exfoliate or if its in the morning, I dont cleanse. I use my scrub only. Even when you have a facial they steam, clean and then exfoliate. I dont think you will do any damage reversing the steps. Good question!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm an aesthetician.

The procedure is to:
- wash, "removes debris"
- (preferably) steam, "softens dead skin"
- then exfoliate. "removes deadskin"
- I always cleans again and tone afterwards

IHTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Marissa,

There is nothing 'elementary' when it comes to caring for your skin. You've asked a smart question and it only makes sense to want your routine to be effective.

I believe an initial cleanse will often help the exfoliation process. As you cleanse the skin, you not only wash away dirt and excess oils, but cleansing also promotes a form of exfoliation if only light.

Washing the skin first helps it to be ready for the real work; exfoliation. The washing process removes what's on the surface. Unless you're working with a deep cleanser. But if not, the exfoliation can then be even more effective because your pores have begun to open as if they are 'expecting' something. Now, the exfoliant can work it's way into the skin to do it's job.

This is optional, but another cleanse may not be very necessary. Only to follow up with a good rinse (of the exfoliant), a mild toner to bring balance, ending with a good moisturizer.

Hope this helps... Good luck Marissa!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my beauty consultant advice me to use products in the following order:
1. Make up remover
2. 1st cleansing (milk cleanser)
3. 2nd cleansing
4. toner
5. eye care
6. serum
7. moisturizer
8. sunblock
9. weekly mask

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kalandra for helping me feel that any question is a good question and for the direction!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooooo, Melodee - clear and concise. Print and store for quick reminder.
THANKS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts