Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Chelsie
I like these microfiber cloths, since they aren't chemical and they aren't gritty either:

Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

I've tried other microfiber cloths and these are the best - nice and thick and waffle-weave, not the cheap terry cloth ones. They really get all the gunk out of the pores and polish the skin beautifully. I've had the same cloth for 2 years now, but most ppl get a new one every 6 months I think.

I can use them on my eyelids and lips even. They are soft and gentle but very effective. You do have to be careful though, since they are deceptively soft - you can still get a burn from them if you overdo it. Just gently wipe, don't scrub!

Depending on your skin type you can use them anywhere from twice a day to once a week. I use mine once a week.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fawnie: Is that all you do to exfoliate, using a cloth?? is that enough??

Looks interesting....................

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I suspect that the use of Retin-A and vitamin C - both acids - are also exfoliating the skin quite a bit. I find that I don't need anything else. I haven't used my glycolic acid for weeks now.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
What she said!
The microfiber cloth really "polishes" the skin and gets any loose bits off. It sucks the pores clean too.
It doesn't irritate the skin like chemical exfoliators do. Retin-A and Vitamin C serum help with skin cell turnover so that you don't need a separate exfoliator.
That would be too much.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I just ordered 2! I figured may as well stock up for one shipping price! I think this may be what I need. I have been overdoing a lot of my regimen and now have this almost rough outer shell on my skin, especially arms which I scrubbed raw for ages to get rid of discoloration. I will let you know how this works!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I just ordered 2! I figured may as well stock up for one shipping price! I think this may be what I need. I have been overdoing a lot of my regimen and now have this almost rough outer shell on my skin, especially arms which I scrubbed raw for ages to get rid of discoloration. I will let you know how this works!
Lexi,
I think the very last thing you need right now is more exfoliation!! It sounds like you have almost a "rug burn" thing going on - a leathery scar tissue?

My humble advice would be to rehydrate it and let it heal on its own. This is just a suggestion of a type of product that could help:

Ultra Hyaluronic Hydrating Serum 1 oz.

I'm looking at the hyaluronic acid, NaPCA, honey and rosehip seed oil as ingredients that might help. I would seal a serum like this in with a good neutral emollient cream, like Eucerin for instance, to keep the skin moist until it naturally regenerates itself. Just a suggestion, you probably know your skin better than anyone and what's going on with it!

Hope this might help in some way, Lexi!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes I agree! I actually have come to that conclusion after reading some dermatologists sites. I am giving my skin a break I think the last 6 months of over-exfoliating has thinned my skin and I do have a "rug burn" more or less. I am looking to find some pure Palm Oil which is what all the dermatologists who discuss "crepe-paper" skin seem to recommend. The good news is that I am too young for the loss of tissue underneath so the problem is actual dryness--which are the two causes of this condition. Palm Oil seems to be the ingredient most recommended though the HTY Gold is expensive. I am going to go hit the health food stores and vitamin stores and see what I can find with regard to Palm Oil. I am already using loads of hydrators and may try the one you just recommended. BUT yes I am definitely over-done. I initially thought my skin was "dry" and needed to be exfoliated which is why I bought these but I am going to save them now that I read more and go through a healing period now and hope it recovers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
A friend of mine (with beautiful skin) told me that she used baking soda. She simply makes a paste w/water for her face and body. I have been using it for while and really like it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Chino, Hi and welcome!

I used to do that too and know it has many admirers, but I think it's too alkaline. Since I use Retin-A and Vit C serum, I like to keep my products in the acid/neutral range. But it's a matter of preference and if it works, do it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Lexi i dont know how old you are but from my experience exfoliating the skin too much only dries this out and if you skin is thin that i would concentrate on facial massage and just taking it easy, unfortuantly skin dammage can come at any age so just take it easy with this yeah, is my humble opinion, i have thin skin myself and this is not something you want, you dont want to prone to early wrinkles, skin sagging etc but best of luck to you! Hope you find what your looking for

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have stopped all exfoliating and am now concentrating on letting my skin heal and thicken. I think I definitely overdid it. I am 37 but always looked younger the last 6 months I have been aggressively exfoliating and oddly noticed dry "crepe" looking skin. When I look closer it is really dry and dehydrated. I definitely have overdone the exfoliation!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Good luck, Lexi and let us know what seems to be helping you so others here can learn from your experience! You can be our "exfoliation" guinea pig! (A cute one though!)

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I will definitely let you know. Am considering looking into buying some Palm Oil on Amazon. The problem I always have is I go overboard and use too many products to know what actually worked! I am trying to do emergency repair as I have a first date this coming weekend with a very cute 25 year old Puerto Rican guy--and do NOT want to look all crepe-paper skinned! So I will be doing as much as I can this week and forward! No more exfoliation for me for a good long time!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I find it a little expensive...................?? I prefer trying a face cloth to see if it's worth it and enought for me before spending $300 on a machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Retin-a, retinol, vitamin A all similar. I was told by a formulator that you can exfoliate with basically anything that has a good mix of antioxidants and vitamins. Not sure if that is true, it was at a wine & cheese event and he was a little loopy, nor do I know him very well, maybe he was right thoguh.....hmmm?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts