Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, another novice question, thank you for your patience!

How often do you exfoliate? Every day? Twice a day? Do you put your topicals on right after, or wait?

I'm just using a Buf Puf, may steal my husband's Sonicare that he's been neglecting...

Gracias!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind! Found my answer doing a search (should have done in the first place).

I've definitely been over scrubbing! Glad I caught my error early.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hey Chocolate lady,
I think the BufPuf is most effective for scrubbing the shower after use!
I like a microfiber cloth to exfoliate a couple times a week - it's a lot gentler than the scrubs and other exfoliation devices out there since you can control the pressure and movement. The Clarisonic is way too harsh, IMO - it tore mt skin apart even with the sensitive brush head.

Here is the one I use:
Microfiber Cleansing Cloth*-*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger
They last indefinitely if you wash them by hand and air dry. I use one for my body and one for my face. I don't need a separate toner after cleansing either, since this sucks all the grime and goop off! You use this after cleansing your usual way, then go over your face with this like you would a chamois on your Mercedes!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi Chocolatelady. Looovvve that name
Overexfoliating can cause all sorts of skin problems from redness & rashes to hyperpigmentation to the exacerbation of acne. Be gentle no matter how often or seldomly you exfoliate. Occasional light masques or peels or microdermabrasion sessions can help as well as using an exfoliating cream like Retin A. Welcome aboard the forum! I don't recall seeing you around before.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you still exfoliate twice a week when using Retin-A fawnie? Can you do it on the same evenings?

Thanx in advance...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Can you still exfoliate twice a week when using Retin-A fawnie? Can you do it on the same evenings?

Thanx in advance...
Chocolate
Gee it really depends on how strong your skin is! Mine is pretty delicate so I can only exfoliate a couple times a week very gently.

I use the cloth at night after cleansing and then wait a little while before using the Retin-A.

Have you just started on Retin-A or been using it a while? If just starting, be careful with exfoliation! You can overdo it easily.

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I am starting to use Retin-A tonight! have never used b4!
Yay!

Do you know how to use it?
[quote from Acne.about.com]
"Retin-A is used once per day, or once every other day, usually at bedtime. The skin should first be washed with a mild cleanser. Twenty or 30 minutes after cleansing, Retin-A is applied to affected areas. This wait time is important to ensure completely dry skin. Applying Retin-A while skin is even the slightest bit damp invites irritation."

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I am starting to use Retin-A tonight! have never used b4!
Yay!

Also, apply just a pea-sized amount. Put this amount on one finger then distribute it evenly among the other fingers. Pat this evenly onto the skin but don't rub. Just patpatpat it in. Avoid the eyes and the corners of the mouth. The neck and chest are more sensitive than the face for some reason in most ppl

HTH and good luck!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh thanx, the GP never told me any of that! do you apply your moisturiser and eye cream after retin-a and how much after??

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
oh thanx, the GP never told me any of that! do you apply your moisturiser and eye cream after retin-a and how much after??
Hi tashalp
I wait about another 30 minutes and then apply my eyecream. I don't use a moisturizer all over my face because I don't want to "water down" the Retin-A, but some ppl use one - wait 30 minutes before applying.

good luck and let us know how you get along with it!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's Retin-A 0.01% The GP said use it once or twice a day but from what I've read up on the net, you should only use it twice a week maybe to begin with.. and only at night.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
It's Retin-A 0.01% The GP said use it once or twice a day but from what I've read up on the net, you should only use it twice a week maybe to begin with.. and only at night.
Yeah, go slow with that stuff!!
If you're only using it for anti-ageing and not acne, twice a week is plenty good to start with! If you burn your skin then you'll just have to waste time undoing the damage.

If you want to, you could buffer it by mixing it half/half with an emollient like Vanicream and then use it every nite. This is what Renova is. It's less drying and irritating this way. You can gradually decrease the amount of emollient until you're using it straight.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ah ok, I'd heard about Renova emollient... possibly from yourself! Yeh will stick to 2 nights a wk for now then.. cheers.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
To clarify, you're using the 0.1% Retin-A cream, right?
There's 0.1%, 0.05%, 0.025% and then Retin-A Micro is 0.1% and 0.04% I believe.

They say you can't buffer the Micro gel due to the way it's formulated in time-release spheres.

Cute kitten tashalp!

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
No, 0.01% Gel.
Oh I'm glad you told me that!
That makes a big difference then! It's such a low % that you probably won't have any problem with it. You shouldn't mix it with an emollient, but you could use cream over it I think.

Are you using it for acne or anti-ageing?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
43 Posts
anti-aging, yeh I need a hydrating moisturiser as the environ one isn't very and my skin is constantly tight! I rang SkinCeuticals today and they are sending me some samples. I tried Dermalogica a few months back but it didn't do anything for me!

How often do you think it would be safe to use 0.01%? 3 times a wk maybe?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts