Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new and this is my first post here
Im not sure if ive put this in the right section, or even if this is relevant to the site so if its not feel free to move it or delete it!

I have extremely long, thick, black hair all over my upper legs. Which im sure most of you would agree isnt very sexy

Ive tried a lot of different ways of hair removal, like shaving, hair removal cream like veet, using an electric razor, waxing.....anyway, long story short, i have VERY sensitive skin so it is all either too painful or a get a horrible, itchy rash (i have a real problem with spots and have generally bad skin anyway) so none of the things i have tried are a realistic long term solution!

So, i have decided that instead of trying to remove the hair im going to try bleaching it but as it is very long and curly i need a very thin, liquidy bleach that works almost instantly. Otherwise, with the cream ones it will just spring out of the layer of bleach and it will be light at the base and dark on the ends! I dont even know if this kind of bleach exists, which is why im posting here so i can get advice from you all

Anyway, all advice is geatly appreciated
and also, if anyone knows of any other hair removal methids that i might be able to try, that would be appreciated muchly as well! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
TaraBean:
That must be a difficult problem & you were brave to post! Firstly, shaving, chemicals & electric razors make the hair regrowth blunt & stubbly making it seem like there's more of it & that it's thicker. POnce you try to wax shaved regrowth, it can pull like crazy. I'd suggest letting it grow in to 1/4" & going to a professional esthetician to have it waxed. They have waxes available (not to mention training) that the general public doesn't have. They have pre treatments to decrease sensitivity & post waxing treatments to diminish irritation. then, use a lotion that reduces hair growth: Aveeno makes an excellent one. After a month or so, the hair growth will be finer & sparser, thus easier for the esthetician to wax off.

Do not use bleach or you might really irritate your skin & end up with a mass of yucky gold/red hairs!

Go to an endocrinologist for some tests: you may have a hormone imbalance causing the problem (like polycyctic ovaries). If this is the case, medications will correct it.

Another option is to go see an esthetician for laser hair removal! Then, after a few treatments, you'll see a huge difference. After a full set of treatments, many women who were quite hairy & even many 'hairy-as-an-ape' men are smooth as silk forever. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Can regular waxing permanently stop hair from growing? And is it safe to wax the face?

Thanks for answering in advance.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Hi Pumi- no it won't stop hair from completely growing. But it does make it thinner, so to speak. Only after doing it for quite some time.

And yes of course you can wax your face. You should be able to go to a local spa or even some beauty salons and have this done. I also know a few nail salons that are now doing waxing.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You can wax it at home too but buy facial wax: it's strong enough to grip facial hair but it won't damage skin.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi Pumi- no it won't stop hair from completely growing. But it does make it thinner, so to speak. Only after doing it for quite some time.

And yes of course you can wax your face. You should be able to go to a local spa or even some beauty salons and have this done. I also know a few nail salons that are now doing waxing.
Thanks for your helpful reply, gymrat. I have got some issues with my legs too!

I've always used hair removal creams so far but the hair grows thicker when I do this. I have tried waxing at home but stopped as it was too painful! I will try waxing at the salons for a few times and hopefully the hair will become thinner so I can bleach after this!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Pumi just be careful with bleaching i can remeber ages being told about side effects of long term bleaching i just forget them now, sorry but just thought id mention it!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi just be careful with bleaching i can remeber ages being told about side effects of long term bleaching i just forget them now, sorry but just thought id mention it!
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, NY. Maybe bleaching is not such a good idea then.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Many salons offer laser hair removal packages that make the service affordable. I've done my underarms & I've never looked back. It is so liberating to not have to ever think about them.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Thanks for your helpful reply, gymrat. I have got some issues with my legs too!

I've always used hair removal creams so far but the hair grows thicker when I do this. I have tried waxing at home but stopped as it was too painful! I will try waxing at the salons for a few times and hopefully the hair will become thinner so I can bleach after this!
Pumi I wouldn't recommend bleaching. This is a waste of time and money. Especially if you have thick hair. It would be like bleaching your hair on your head. It doesn't make it go away, it justs bleaches it.

Have you tried any Nair hair care products. They have some great products out now. Even some for sensitive skin.
NAIR Products
They used to only carry one product and it smelled so bad and burned so bad no one could stand it. But I have tried several of these that they have now, and they work great!! They will make your legs smooth as a silk-

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I wonder, though, about the long term effects of all that chemical hair remover on the body as well as on the env't as it gets washed into the water cycle. With chemicals, the hair re-grows so rapidly that you become a slave to hair removal (& therefore the chemicals). You might want to seriously look into the laser removal option.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would suggest the following - go and have your legs professionally waxed a couple of times. Also, purchase a "good" epilator for at home use. Don't skimp on this. Given that the hair is course it'll hurt a lot if you don't thin it down a bit by waxing. Make sure you buy an epilator that is for sensitive skin or has a sensitive skin attachment. It will hurt but you'll get used to it after a while. The hair will eventually thin out a bit and grow in finer. It also grows at different times. Counting on waxing makes you a bit of a slave to it. It has to grow to a certain length, you have to make an appointment when it's convenient which may not line up with a spontaneous invitation the beach. I waxed my own for several years. I used all of the drug store products and then purchased my own wax pot. The results were good but it was messy and still involved a setting aside of time. The epilator is great. You can use it anytime with no mess or water and you will never be tempted to grab that razor again. I have not used a razor on my legs in years. Using anything that leaves the hair blunt will just set you back and the hair will then appear darker and course again. Just don't use an epliator if the hair is too long!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Why not get the hairy areas lasered and be done with it?

Laser-Assisted Hair Removal: eMedicine Dermatology

Do your homework and go to a reputable Dermatologist, not one of the highly advertised "Laserama" places.
Laser hair removal is too costly and I can't afford it unfortunately. Also, I don't like the idea of having my legs to be subjected to laser! I think the idea of waxing to thin down the hair is great and then use epilator afterwards. I've tried using epilator on my coarse hair but it is so painful that I had to give up. But it would be a completely different story when the hair is thin!

Thanks for all ur help everyone.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I must agree with Fawnie, laser is your best option. I had laser on my legs, underarms and bikini area and never use a razor anymore. I grow hair but only on my legs and it is very blond and fine and cannot be seen or felt. How long is your upper leg hair? If I may ask is it like a man's hair or is it equivalent to what you would find on your lower leg? Do you have enough body fat? If you excercise excessively or do not eat enough (eating disorders) hirsutism can be the end result. If you note the reason men actually have a lot more hair is for insulation as they have much less body fat. When women lose weight too fast or do not have enough fat the body can start to increase the hair to insulate. Note that obese people are typically a lot less hairy.

If you are outside of the USA you may want to discuss Diane-35 with your GP (or OB/GYN). Diane-35 contains a very small amount of a testosterone blocker (anti-androgyn) called cyproterone acetate. This is combined with ethinyl oestrodial which work as a birth control pill but also lower your testosterone levels treating acne, hirsutism and other hormonal malfunctions. You will also want your doctor to order tests to check for all hormonal problems including thyroid issues but more significantly you should be tested for polycystic ovarian disease.

As for epilation, if you use an epilator enough it eventually gets less painful. I hate hair and before I did laser I would use an epilator and do both legs, my bikini area and under my arms and though I cried the first times, it was painless after a while. Just be sure to avoid ANY UV after any form of epilation.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
PS--there is a home laser now available. I believe it is called TRIA personal laser system. This cost some 900 dollars I believe but I am sure you can find it for less and it uses the same technology as professional lasers. It has a smaller tip so the treatments take more time but it may be worth the investment if you cannot afford professional laser hair removal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh yes that must be a very upsetting problem, but I wouldn't bleach it, if it is dark it will just go orange. Ondine is right, if the hair is too long it really hurts to wax it so it's better if you do it when the hair is shorter. I like sugaring better than wax as it is much easier to work with.

The best advice is the laser but I think you need to have white skin and dark hair for it to work. It really does work because I "made" my husband get his back done, but you need to make sure the clinic is legitimate so you don't waste your money or hurt your skin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts