Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've recently started in a salon, (supervision). AND, a young lady wanted her brows arched.

Briefly she had bushy brows that she wanted shaped, and wanted the end result to require little or no maintenance. It took me 20 minutes to do her brows.
To my surprise, I had to explain to the salon owner the difference between a brow-arching proceedure and a brow-design proceedure. (the 1st is a clean-up, the 2nd is a total design done on unmaintained brows). I also had to explain that she could charge more for a brow-design.​
My questions are:
Have any of you all encounterd the fee differences?

When you've had your brows done in the past has your stylist consulted with you or did they just do the "wax-on wax-off wah-laa" approach?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am surprised you had to inform the salon owner of the difference. That just goes to show how many people own businesses in the beauty indrustry that don't know what they are doing!! There is a price difference between the 2, I have seen eyebrow designs as high as $50. Depending on how good you are, charge them and make some MONEY!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
It is a new salon. She & I are both new to the business end of this venture.
I just found it odd that she and another worker there, thought I'd taken "a bit long" with the service.
No I realize that she's more of the "time is money" oriented operator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i get my eyebrows threaded- "designing" and "cleaning" are the same price, around $6. they come out great! $50 for an eyebrow job seems quite excessive....especially considering threading is better for your skin (and better at giving nicer shape) than waxing anyway. just my opinion!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you have to take into account where you are (city, country) and the quality of the salon you are going to. It's the same with haircuts and styling... I know there are certain places I can go and get a cheap haircut and there are places I can go and get the spa treatment -- and pay more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have always had really thick brows...sort of like Brooke Shields'...then I started having them waxed at a variety of salons...they didn't actually design them...then one of the people took too much off of the brows in the middle, then on the end...now they look blotchy and I don't know what to do because I'm older now and they don't grow as much...can anyone recommend a good brow stylist in Las Vegas? I would definitely pay more $ if I knew I was going to someone really good...I just get nervous thinking about it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go yorlooks...maybe you should open your own salon instead working with/ for someone who doesnt know what they are doing haha.. I hv really thick eyebrow, I 'd pay extra for reshaping every 6 months (with the same girl I like after trials and errors) and hv them threaded every 3 weeks for maintenance.

river, threading method's commonly done by indian/nepalese girls to get rid of fine hair using nylon thread/ string in certain speed and angles. Best result, cheap and fast. Ask ur indian girlfriends around for recommendation.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
My eyebrows have a natural sorta "arch", but the latisse has helped the arch area grow in. I'm VERY pleased to have eye brows from between my eyes all the way to the outer corners of my eyes, which is where the thinning was the worse. As for using it on my head, I've mixed 3-4 bottles of Careprost in with my Nioxin Hair Treatment and after 3 months there is a ton of new growth on my head. I'm over the moon! Except for the 2 days a week when I use Nioxin or Nizoral I use a sulfate-free shampoo and I can't believe the difference in the texture and softness of my hair and the SHINE! No buildup of crud. I've never had really shiny or bouncy hair- it's very, very frizzy curly and fine. Kronos is what I'm using now and I LOVE it. When I run out I will try another sulfate-free brand since Kronos is so expensive. I'm loving how my hair feels so much I play with it all the time lol. I twist and twirl it anyway, and have since I was a kid, but it feels so good since I've let it grow out for the humidity in England (it will be about half the length it is now all curled up) I play with it all the time.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
i get my eyebrows threaded- "designing" and "cleaning" are the same price, around $6. they come out great! $50 for an eyebrow job seems quite excessive....especially considering threading is better for your skin (and better at giving nicer shape) than waxing anyway. just my opinion!
Heh. SO glad some tweezers is all I need!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Happytimes, Sandia and fawnie are using Careprost (generic version of latisse) on their scalp and have been reporting hair growth...check their posts here:

http://www.skincaretalk.com/hair-car...naturally.html
I should say that I've only noticed less shedding....it's probably too soon to tell if new hair is actually going to grow...as Sandia says it takes 3 months, the same as eyelashes! I'm hopeful tho!
<---------look how excited I am!!! Woo hoo!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow- its a whole new world out there in the US isn't it?!

We don't have "arching" over here in the UK, (unless I've managed to miss all the salons in London offering it!) we do have threading and waxing but beauty therapists just tend to go on your natural shape and will be happy to do whatever you want but your best advised to follow your natural shape.

Never been asked if I'd like anything other then "thinner or are you trying to thicken them"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts