Skin Care Talk banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Gosh, DH will think me sexy as heck!!! Caster Oil, Bleaching Trays AND Hair Serum!!!
What we give up for beauty. Think he'd buy that??

Let us know how the eye cream with Caster Oil works for you.
Also, I'm not familiar with using Beeswax. How does it feel when you put it on? In the morning??
Hey Becky, sorry I didn't see your post. Still learning my way around here

I love the castor oil/beeswax combo. The beeswax is ideal to "stiffen" the castor oil and keep it from smearing all over my face as I sleep. I apply my homemade eye cream to the skin around my eye and then apply the castor oil cream over the lashes. I only do this at night because the castor oil is pretty thick and shiny--not a good look for me in the day!

I really wish I would have thought to take before & after pics when I first started the castor oil treatments a few months ago, the difference in length is VERY noticable. Now if I could just figure a way to thicken them up...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm looking for a way to darken my lashes ( I already tint them, but as they are naturally transparent, you see the roots popping up after a few days and I hate mascara)

I used latisse and it didnt darken them, but lipocils expert caused some darkening. I read it was because of the coleus forskohlii which has been proven to increase cAMP
Human hair follicle pigmentary unit as a direct ta... [Exp Dermatol. 2009] - PubMed result
Talika Lipocils Expert Eyelash Enhancer & Growth Serum Review

to have a stronger darkening effect, I would like to have my very own DYI with a higher concentration of the coleus forskohlii. I don't really need the thickening or darkening effect. I just wanna see what ingredients I need to have the right penetration.

there are the ingredients of the talika formula:

Ingredients
Aqua (water), Sodium Lactate, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Sericin, Glycerin, Maltodextrin, Phenoxyethanol, Alcohol zdenat., Phosphatidycholine, Sodium Hydroxide, Allantoin, Dextran, Hypericum Perforatum (St. John's Wort) Extract, Pyrus Malus (apple) Fruit Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (horse Chestnut) Extract, Urtica Dioica (nettle) Extract, Coleus Forskohlii Root Extract, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-9, Acetyl Hexapeptide-1, Methyparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

I think I should select some of them with the coleus.
They never mention what percentage of coleus they used, there's 20 pct coleus forskohlii but also 95 pct ( which is very expensive, so imho they've used the 20 pct but I need to be sure)

·
Registered
24 Posts
About the castor oil. Do you put it from your roots till the ends or? How do you prevent it from getting into your eye lol (I have contacts)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
do you wear the lenses that you leave in overnite?

·
Registered
420 Posts
About the castor oil. Do you put it from your roots till the ends or? How do you prevent it from getting into your eye lol (I have contacts)
I only apply mine at night, so if you don't wear your contacts to bed it shouldn't be a problem. Castor is thick & sticky and wouldn't be something I would want to use during the day. It does seep into my eyes a bit but not much. I recently began using a mascara brush to apply it and like that so far.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'm using care prose at the moment can I apply castor oil at night andthe careprost in the morning or that's a risk?? And I will loose my eye lashes lol?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
A related question to xarax...
If you use castor, or castor/beeswax at night. Will your mascara "take" the next morning? Still apply and stay?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The castor oil has never burned my eyes... But everyone is different so you may want to do a patch test. One of the great things about castor oil is that it doesn't blur your vision like so many other oils. I go ahead and smooth it over my entire eye area because as I said I have noticed a smoothing effect.

I've been using organic castor oil, not sure if that makes any difference.

LunaSea, thanks for the links for the empty mascara tubes!
Totally agree...never got burned my eyes.And i am using it for years, on and off of course, because sometimes i run out, or forget use it or anything else...

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've never used careprost so I can't really say. But castor oil is such a mild oil, I would not think that there would any sort of interaction.

I wash my face every morning and haven't had any problems with castor oil residue. My lashes just feel soft and conditioned. I wear mascara daily and have not noticed any issues with it "sticking". I use a natural mascara which I would think is more likely to bleed than your average mascara and have had no problems whatsoever.

I made a mix of coconut and castor (heavy on the castor) & a few other goodies because I read on LHC that coconut can penetrate into the hair shaft 90%. Just started using the mix... will keep you posted. I'm trying to thicken my lashes now as I am really happy with the length.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I've never used careprost so I can't really say. But castor oil is such a mild oil, I would not think that there would any sort of interaction.

I wash my face every morning and haven't had any problems with castor oil residue. My lashes just feel soft and conditioned. I wear mascara daily and have not noticed any issues with it "sticking". I use a natural mascara which I would think is more likely to bleed than your average mascara and have had no problems whatsoever.

I made a mix of coconut and castor (heavy on the castor) & a few other goodies because I read on LHC that coconut can penetrate into the hair shaft 90%. Just started using the mix... will keep you posted. I'm trying to thicken my lashes now as I am really happy with the length.
:ears/eyes perk up:
Natural Mascara you say?? Do tell us more.....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wash my face every morning and haven't had any problems with castor oil residue. My lashes just feel soft and conditioned. I wear mascara daily and have not noticed any issues with it "sticking".
I do the same thing...
don't remember having problems with the residue the next day...Oooh yes i do wear mascara every day

·
Registered
420 Posts
:ears/eyes perk up:
Natural Mascara you say?? Do tell us more.....
Haha! Guess a more accurate description would be "more natural than your average mascara". I use L'Oreal Bare Naturale. They claim it is 86% natural origin. The ingredients listed first (and therefore the highest percentage) are decent... aloe, jojoba, etc.

I tried the Physican's Formula Organics line mascara and it just melted off my face... it never seemed to "set" The L'Oreal mascara does and it doesn't clump which I'm happy about. The coverage is definitely "naturale"

Though I've been happy with it, I wouldn't call it my holy grail mascara or anything, so if anyone else out there has used a good natural mascara, I'd love to hear about it!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Haha! Guess a more accurate description would be "more natural than your average mascara". I use L'Oreal Bare Naturale. They claim it is 86% natural origin. The ingredients listed first (and therefore the highest percentage) are decent... aloe, jojoba, etc.

I tried the Physican's Formula Organics line mascara and it just melted off my face... it never seemed to "set" The L'Oreal mascara does and it doesn't clump which I'm happy about. The coverage is definitely "naturale"

Though I've been happy with it, I wouldn't call it my holy grail mascara or anything, so if anyone else out there has used a good natural mascara, I'd love to hear about it!

Awwww, gosh, darn!!!
I just knew I could justify trying yet ANOTHER mascara!!
I'll still be on the lookout. I figured a natural mascara might be melty. However, still worth checking out. 80% natural is still better than most of them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A couple ideas re: castor oil application.

Makeup Q-tips are angled for application close to the lash root:

Double Head Point/Point Cotton Swab, Paper Handle

You can find some version at most beauty stores.

Another way to get something ideal is to make your own. Simply take a tiny bit of cotton, and it will twist readily around the end of a flat toothpick, giving you a safe mini-Q-tip that will get right at the root Just a filament seems to be enough, so any cotton ball, or Q-Tip should do!

This is the same technique used by estheticians to apply eyelash dye to the root when tinting lashes.

Didn't I read something challenging the safety of castor oil in these forums? I want to recommend it to my mother, (currently happily using Latisse) but want to make sure she doesn't get eyeball cancer from it!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great tips, Skintimate!

After I read your post, I did a little digging around on PubMed and found a study which indicates castor oil is cytotoxic & followed the link to the full report:

Benefits and Side Effects of Different Vegetable Oil Vectors on Apoptosis, Oxidative Stress, and P2X7 Cell Death Receptor Activation

It does raise some red flags in comparison to the other oils they tested. I would be curious what the cytotoxicity effects would look like next to commonly used contact solutions and eyedrops (and also Latisse!). I didn't come across any other studies regarding this.. only some (more recently published studies) that show castor oil can build up the eye's lipid layer~ which was a desired effect.

When I googled it, this study was the one repeatedly cited. Does anyone else have any other info/sources to add?

Based on the empiric evidence of it's use for so long in "folk medicine", I'm not going to run home and dump out my bottle. (yet!) But it does give some food for thought... and I will be applying it with caution near my eyes.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Awwww, gosh, darn!!!
I just knew I could justify trying yet ANOTHER mascara!!
I'll still be on the lookout. I figured a natural mascara might be melty. However, still worth checking out. 80% natural is still better than most of them.
I'm on the hunt too... Be sure to share if you find a good one! I've been looking at the make up that 100% Pure makes and think I may give that a try when my current stash runneth dry.

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is wonderful. I'm applying olive oil on my lashes...starting from tonight!

·
Administrator
33,737 Posts
How long does it take for castor oil to significantly improve eyelash length and density?
I never had luck with castor oil. Not to mention its thick/heavy. If you your lashes and or brows to grow I highly recommend Careprost. You will have bambi lashes in 6-8 weeks.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts