Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyones favorite eyeliner? I really want nicedefined line and eye, but I was watching tv this morning and it looked like a pencil with a smudgy worked well? I need help with eyeliner!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
well for a nice precise line I like Mac gel liner in the pod. I use their angle brush #266 for this, it is a great liner. Laura Mercier has a nice one too, but Mac's doesn't smudge and last's all day. For the smudged look, I like Estee Lauder/brown writer is the color, and has a smudge brush on one end. I also just bought a Sephora smudge eyeliner in olive, that works great as well.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What about the liquid ones? have you tried? That is what I use for the last few years and it's my favorite! No smudge!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
What about the liquid ones? have you tried? That is what I use for the last few years and it's my favorite! No smudge!
mariepop-yes liquid is the best. Laura Mercier is liquid that I use. MAC's is kind of like a liquid it is a gel, but works amazing!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm using Indelible Eyes gel liner pencils. The point is not sharp because you don't use a pencil to sharpen them; you twist part of the barrel and the gel advances. I like them a lot because they dont' irritate my eyes and I like a smudged line. One end of the pencils is the gel liner and the other is a sponge with a cap to help with smudging.

·
Registered
538 Posts
for me it's smashbox waterproof eyeliner gel, it's easy to put on, and stays put all day...........I love it.................

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Channel black eyeliner. It is a solid but waterproof and really easy to put on. I do not even have to stretch my eyes (which causes wrinkles) and I get a really even application goes on like a liequid with the control of a solid!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I LOVE the look of liquid-type eyeliner, but they can look a bit dry and crepey on me if you look close. I'd love a moist looking one with a very tiny sheen to it...

That's why I tend to favor pencils - but, of course, they melt away a bit as the day goes on...

I can't afford a really expensive foray into liquid/gel eyeliner ATM. Any good but cheap options for me to experiment with?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Semayden it is the only thing I splurge on in my make-up collection, everything else is drugstore bought! It is great because I also have the crepe problem but this is a solid that slides on. A suggestion though as I bought mine duty free--check on e-bay and also if not use L'oreal black solid but on your upper lid before you put it on coat the lid with either a greasy moisturizer or vaseline--but be careful not too much or it will not let it go on, then slide it on. I used to use Eucerin intensive repair and when it was still wet apply the eyeliner and it slid on like a liquid!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
for me it's smashbox waterproof eyeliner gel, it's easy to put on, and stays put all day...........I love it.................
Chelsie (and anyone else) - what kind of brush do you find works best for the gel eyeliner - a thin pointed one or an angled one? I have a Stila gel eyeliner and need to get a brush for it.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Chelsie (and anyone else) - what kind of brush do you find works best for the gel eyeliner - a thin pointed one or an angled one? I have a Stila gel eyeliner and need to get a brush for it.
Mireckca- I have both brushes, a thin point and an angled one. I like the look of my eyeliner when I use the angled one. Thats just my opinion-I get a thicker line with the angled brush. The thin pointed, gives a very thin line. With my gel liner, it can be a booger to get my brush clean. I usually clean it right after I use it. This seems to help

·
Registered
330 Posts
Semayden it is the only thing I splurge on in my make-up collection, everything else is drugstore bought! It is great because I also have the crepe problem but this is a solid that slides on. A suggestion though as I bought mine duty free--check on e-bay and also if not use L'oreal black solid but on your upper lid before you put it on coat the lid with either a greasy moisturizer or vaseline--but be careful not too much or it will not let it go on, then slide it on. I used to use Eucerin intensive repair and when it was still wet apply the eyeliner and it slid on like a liquid!
That's an interesting idea - to coat lashline with moisturiser of some sort! Thanks. When you say it's a solid - do mean it's a powder cake of some sort?

Would that also work ok with the kind of liquid eyeline that I complain crepes my lash line skin?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mireckca- I have both brushes, a thin point and an angled one. I like the look of my eyeliner when I use the angled one. Thats just my opinion-I get a thicker line with the angled brush. The thin pointed, gives a very thin line. With my gel liner, it can be a booger to get my brush clean. I usually clean it right after I use it. This seems to help
Thanks gymrat. I have an angled brush and would like a thinner line so I'm going to look at pointed brushes tomorrow at Sephora. Any particular brand you can recommend? Or are they pretty comparable?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Thanks gymrat. I have an angled brush and would like a thinner line so I'm going to look at pointed brushes tomorrow at Sephora. Any particular brand you can recommend? Or are they pretty comparable?
Actually my tiny point is the sephora brand. Really easy to use. My angled one is a MAC, but really I have become a sucker to brushes. I think any brand will do. I just always seem to like my MAC brushes better.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Not to butt in, but have you ever trolled the art stores for brushes?
You can get anything you want there for a lot cheaper than the cosmetics counters: "fan" brushes for blushes (similar to skunk brushes in effect), synthetic "filberts" (make nice concealer brushes), and tons of liner brushes in every size!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Not to butt in, but have you ever trolled the art stores for brushes?
You can get anything you want there for a lot cheaper than the cosmetics counters: "fan" brushes for blushes (similar to skunk brushes in effect), synthetic "filberts" (make nice concealer brushes), and tons of liner brushes in every size!
Ya fawnie- how do those compare in prices? Thats funny cuz I was thinking that as I typed that. You use one for your lumigan don't you, or you did in the beginning?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Ya fawnie- how do those compare in prices? Thats funny cuz I was thinking that as I typed that. You use one for your lumigan don't you, or you did in the beginning?
Right! I did at first use a fine tip synthetic brush, but it dripped too much, so now I use a pointed-tip Qtip, which I got in the nail care section of the Meijer store.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Actually my tiny point is the sephora brand. Really easy to use. My angled one is a MAC, but really I have become a sucker to brushes. I think any brand will do. I just always seem to like my MAC brushes better.
Well, I went to Sephora today and came out with a new angled brush - a smaller one that will make getting a thinner line possible. The adviser explained that the pointed one would be more difficult to work with, and convinced me just to get some more practice.

I also came out with some Josie Maran shadow and the appropriate brush for that too - and the advisor showed me how to apply the shadow properly. Of course, I wiped it all off before we left the store because I was headed to dinner with some sisters (nuns) - I felt like I was in eighth grade again!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Haha Mireckca! Did you remember to unroll your skirt at the waist too? What colors did you find?

I went to parochial schools all my life and I swear we were the Wild Childs!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well, I went to Sephora today and came out with a new angled brush - a smaller one that will make getting a thinner line possible. The adviser explained that the pointed one would be more difficult to work with, and convinced me just to get some more practice.

I also came out with some Josie Maran shadow and the appropriate brush for that too - and the advisor showed me how to apply the shadow properly. Of course, I wiped it all off before we left the store because I was headed to dinner with some sisters (nuns) - I felt like I was in eighth grade again!
Wow quite the day mireckca-lol. 2 things. First, the adviser is right, using even the angled brush takes some practice. It took me awhile to figure out just how much to apply, etc. But within time, you will have it aced!

Second, how is going to lunch with sisters? What do you talk about? Being the good catholic myself, I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall-

1 - 20 of 46 Posts