Thank you Starlight714 for sending me over here!
All you need is fruit, frozen fruit, leafy greens (like lettuce), water, and about 6 weeks!
An EASY, TASTY way to eat your greens!
What are Green Smoothies and Why are They Fabulous?
"Leafy greens combined with fruit might become your new best friends!"
I have been consuming "leafy greens" on a daily basis for almost 7 months by making quick and easy "green smoothies." I believe they have made a huge difference in my skin. My skin doesn't break out like it used to, and it now has a healthy glow. It is a known fact that leafy greens are very good for the skin. Leafy
greens like lettuce, spinach, kale, etc. (not green veggies
like broccoli - even though these are important too - just not for the smoothies.) are so important to consume, but most of us don't. By blending leafy greens with fruit and water, we end up with a delicious, tasty drink that doesn't at all taste like greens. By doing a 60% fruit/40% green combo, you will taste the fruit, not the greens. You're not supposed to combine fruit & veggies you say? Well, "leafy greens" are the exception - they combine well with fruit. This to me is the easiest way to get my fruits and greens in.
This is normally how I prepare mine....
I usually just quickly chop up two pieces of fruit
(Apples and pears are my favorites) into fourths and throw them in the blender. I then throw in 2 large handfuls of greens
(I often do the pre-washed greens to keep it simple), I then add about 2-4 cups of water
and then add about a cup of frozen fruit
like strawberries, peaches, mango, raspberries, etc. As soon as it's blended, I immediately pour out the smoothie and rinse the blender out with water (every once in a while I use soap) and then let it air dry. Then, I enjoy my smoothie. Easy!
I started a 6 Week Green Smoothie Challenge over at the Pioneer Thinking boards. You are welcome to join or just browse through the posts.
Pioneer Thinking Discussion Boards - ~ 6 Week Green Smoothie Beauty Challenge! ~ Sorry, I can't post the URL until I have 15 posts here
I nearly gave up doing the smoothies in the beginning, because I couldn't get them to taste good. Now I think they taste great! The frozen fruit, the pre-washed lettuce and adding enough water
is what changed all that for me. The frozen fruit gives a big kick of flavor and helps give a bit of an icey feel without having to use ice (I used ice once, and it made the consistency all nasty). Adding enough water makes the consistency thin enough to drink - I don't like it when they're too thick to drink. The pre-washed lettuce makes it EASY. Just open the bag/container (I find the lettuce lasts longer in the containers), and grab 2 handfuls. The spring mix doesn't have a strong flavor - it's very mild.
If it helps, things like honey, vanilla flavoring and cinnamon
(a metabolism booster!) can be added in moderation for extra flavor and to make them taste especially good.
Some of the nutrients in the smoothies, like lutein, are absorbed better when fats are present
, so you may want to consider adding fats like flax oil to your smoothies, or just take a tablespoon or two before you drink your smoothie.
The smoothie lasts for up to 24 hrs. I'll pour what I don't drink into a glass, put a saucer on top and stick it in the fridge
to drink later that day or maybe for breakfast the next morning.
Spinach isn't good to do everyday (because of oxalates), but if I really want my skin to have a healthy glow, I'll drink smoothies full of spinach for a day or two
. However, if you're drinking a quart a day of any type of smoothie, your skin is going to glow anyway.
If you are acne prone and you go out of town, drink a large glass of V8 everyday
. V8 is pasteurized and certainly can't replace the smoothies, but at least it gives you some greens while you're on the road. I find that when I stop the smoothies and break out, my breakouts are MUCH milder than before - usually just very small blemishes - however, they are my signal to get myself back in gear and drink my smoothies!
Here are some "smoothie" facts that I copied and pasted off the internet. You can find more info by doing an internet search for "green smoothies."
1. Green smoothies are very nutritious.
2. Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients. So much more so that eating 1/2 a cup of blended greens is equal to eating 2 cups of greens!!
3. Green smoothies, as a posed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.
4. With a ratio of fruits to veggies as 60:40, the fruit taste dominates the flavor, yet at the same time the green vegetables balance out the sweetness of the fruit, adding nice zest to it.
5. By consuming two or three cups of green smoothies daily you will consume enough of greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated. Many people do not consume enough of greens, even those who stay on a raw food diet. The molecule of chlorophyll has only one atom that makes it different from a molecule of human blood. According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, to consume chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.
6. Green smoothies are easy to make, and quick to clean up after.
7. When you consume your greens in the form of green smoothies, you can greatly reduce the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.