Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have any feedback on the pro-activ solution skincare line? I had always had clear skin, and am suddenly suffering from a mild case of adult acne. I bought pro-activ and I almost feel as though it's making my skin worse. I've heard that your skin has to get worse before it gets better, but I can't help but feel misled with all the positive testimonials I've read about it. How long could it possibly take to work? I've been using it for over a month.

Any feedback would be great

·
Registered
224 Posts
Both my sister and I used the free trial of proactiv and it did not do anything. But I think it really depends on your skin and how severe your acne is. I have a friend that swear by it, so I guess it works for some people. I ended up having to go to my doctor and he prescribed me Retin-A micro. That has been helping my skin alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I don't think my acne is all that severe...mostly around the jawline, so I believe it to be hormonal. But even so, you'd think that it would still work on a mild case of acne, given that it's safe for all skin types...or so they say. All trial and error I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know a lot of people who have used pro-activ, and I've never heard anyone saying that it works. In fact, I have heard of it making the skin worse, or working for a few months and then having no effect. Also, if its just mild acne that you have, then the reason its probably getting worse is because its too harsh for your skin!

You need to find out first whats causing the acne (eg. excess oil, hormones, etc) and then treat it accordingly.

·
Registered
291 Posts
there is nothing really special about pro-activ. They just have really good marketing. It uses the same active ingredient as most over the counter acne products - benzoyl peroxide. If you have tried other benzoyl peroxide products and they didnt work for you, then most likely Proactiv wont work either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto to what Trisha stated.

Proactiv is basically all clever and smart advertising and marketing. It contains benzoyl peroxide (2.5%) which helps treat acne. You can purchase any type of products with benzoyl peroxide at the drugstore for much less than the thirty or forty dollars per month Proactiv charges you for their kits.

Personally, for me, I used Proactiv and it worked for the most part, though I still had the occasional breakout once or twice a month. I have mild to moderate acne and used the basic kit (cleanser, toner, moisturizer and mask) for about 6 months and then I switched to another regimen (because it was too expensive and also harsh on my skin) and my acne was about the same as using Proactiv. This was probably because Proactiv was my first skin care regimen and because I did not cleanse my skin prior to using Proactiv, I had a lot of acne. Now that I cleanse my skin and use specific treatments for my acne (mask, salylic acid) my skin is clear for the most part. But then, my friends (two of them) who used Proctiv, did not work for them at all and actually made their acne worse. It's all trial and error. For some it may work, for some it may not.

Oh, lastly, the most important thing about using Proactiv is to use a sunscreen (at least SPF 15) because when using benzoyl peroxide, it makes your skin more prone to sun damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone happen to have any feedback on the pro-activ solution skincare line? I had always had clear skin, and am suddenly suffering from a mild case of adult acne. I bought pro-activ and I almost feel as though it's making my skin worse. I've heard that your skin has to get worse before it gets better, but I can't help but feel misled with all the positive testimonials I've read about it. How long could it possibly take to work? I've been using it for over a month.

Any feedback would be great
Approximately 5% of women still experience acne in adulthood. you may notice flare ups right before you get your period. Pro activ is basically fancy marketing as previously mentioned. The solution for you may depend on your skin type. i try to get all my clients on retinoic acid as it is anti-aging as well as anti-acneic. The other alternative is to use a salicylic wash or serum 1 week to 10 days before your menses to help control the breakout. Depending on serverity, topical or oral antibiotics may be added. Other treatment modalities such as blu light therapy and intense pulse light may also help control your acne.

Monika Soni, MD
Ethos Spa, Skin and Laser Center

·
Registered
881 Posts
i used proactive as a teen; i still had acne while using it. iv found results with OTHER products for my specific needs that can leave me with 0 acne. my acne iv experienced was hormonal induced and had reduced greatly when i started eating better, worried less/good outlook and treating my special skin with the products/ingredients that is best for it

you could get some great advise here. what's you skin type, goals, your environment, issues ect. pairing your skin with correct regimen can make all the difference

1 - 8 of 8 Posts