Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really starting to hate my skin. I can't go out without makeup caked on as I look horrendous. I shower and I have to hide in case people see me without makeup. I have fairly thin skin and dark circles under my eyes and now recently- loads of spots in my t-zone. My confidence is knocked for six.

I had a facial today and I felt paranoid that the beautician was horrified by my skin. I use loads of different products and she said I should use only the one range. I know it sounds silly but I have soo many products- I've tried everything believe me- so now I just use a big concoction!

I have no idea what kind of skin type I have- Horrendous I suppose! Only kiddin, I'd say its combination. I wish I had either oily or dry sometimes.

I'm so fed up I actually don't care anymore. Its so time consuming trying to get things right- applying makeup and taking it off effectively blah blah.

Is retin A good? and also the DIY vit C serum?

I'm very down about my skin- wish someone could help!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
hi, to me it sounds like you may be doing too much! Yes the retin A is good stuff and so is the Vit C. But I think maybe you are overloading your skin with the other products. Your problem maybe that or maybe you need to exfoliate. I had wiked acnee too, I started Dermabrassion and now I have no acnee. I wash my face every morning and night( with a mild cleanser+ a spining toothbrush to clear out MY BIG PORES, then I use a light misturizer. Maybe try to not wear so much makeup to hide the acnee, it sounds like you are clogging up your pores even more with that.
I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Aww don't feel bad!

Use a skincare line made for sensitive skin and don't use harsh acne washes cause that makes it worse more often for people. Also, use cooled down green tea as a toner once or twice and day and that will help calm the skin!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks very much. I think I just got a bit sick of my skin today. Its just that I seem to have spent so much money on it and yet nothing seems even remotely like it is doing its job.

I might look into the dermabrasion and also the sensitive skin care ranges out there. One thing I do know is that I have tiny pores- I wonder would that have anything got to do with my problems.

I'll try the green tea as a toner also cheers. It is weird because when I was younger I had really lovely skin that I totally didn't appreciate. Where did it all go wrong eh!

I may order the retin A and vitamin C serum stuff and give it a go. I'm embarrassed to go to my doctor even though I'm sure she could prescribe me the retin A stuff. It is terrible bec I find it hard to look people in the eye when talking to them- I never realised my confidence would become so shattered- O.k onwards and upwards they say- Thank you

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi happygolucky,

There is nothing wrong with mixing products from different ranges. Remember that beauticians may stock only one range and could, possibly, have knowledge of only these.

I, personally, have found that beauticians have limited knowledge of products per se, although they have knowledge about procedures.

You would be better off seeing a dermatologist.

Retin A has an anti-wrinkle effect. It increases blood-flow to the skin improving the quality and quantity of collagen fibres in the dermis ie: the lower levels of the skin.

The result is a smoother, plumper, younger-looking complexion. In answer to your query re Vitamin C cream, remember it can take a full hour for ascorbic acid serum to penetrate the skin, so apply it at night before bed.
If you use Retin A, apply topical C on your 'off nights'.

Hope this helps,

redrose

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi,

I would say first of all, stop using too much makeup as they certainly clog the pores and can cause pimples. Try using a mild skincare line that is fragrance free and gentle to sensitive skin such as Simple. Drink lots of water as it flushes toxins out of the body. Use facial oils as moisturisers instead of face creams. Use a good and mild exfoliator which helps remove dead skin from your face without being harsh. For your dark circles, try using a vitamin k cream.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Cool, thanks very much. I think I just got a bit sick of my skin today. Its just that I seem to have spent so much money on it and yet nothing seems even remotely like it is doing its job.

I might look into the dermabrasion and also the sensitive skin care ranges out there. One thing I do know is that I have tiny pores- I wonder would that have anything got to do with my problems.

I'll try the green tea as a toner also cheers. It is weird because when I was younger I had really lovely skin that I totally didn't appreciate. Where did it all go wrong eh!

I may order the retin A and vitamin C serum stuff and give it a go. I'm embarrassed to go to my doctor even though I'm sure she could prescribe me the retin A stuff. It is terrible bec I find it hard to look people in the eye when talking to them- I never realised my confidence would become so shattered- O.k onwards and upwards they say- Thank you
I TOTALLY can relate to the self esteem problem. I've noticed that within the past few years I've become socially awkward because of my acne. Are you a female? It sounds to me that you might be experiencing hormonal acne. Are you on oral contraceptives? I know that is pretty much the only thing that works for me to stay clear. Sometimes when topicals don't work you need to try fixing the problem from within. Another route to study is something called 'insulin resistance' which can have a horrible effect on the skin. I also have very small pores but my skin is very, very oily.

I posted this yesterday and I honestly believe if you followed this regimen it could help you too:

http://www.skincaretalk.com/acne/545...cne-myths.html

You might be able to 'sift' out some good products that you already have to fit this regimen so that you don't have to spend anymore money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks the replies are very insightful. The vit K cream for the dark circles might help I'll try it. Also I need to calm down on the makeup!

Yes indeed I am a girl. No I'm not on oral contraceptives. I have a sister who is and her skin is actually gone worse if thats possible!

Ya it is my self esteem that concerns me the most. I am actually training to be a teacher and I never had the problem of feeling conscious when talking to others so I really just felt like tackling the problem sensibly.

I have started drinking water more often and noticed an improvement. Yes I felt that the beautician was not as helpful as I had hoped. I checked out that web page on acne it is very helpful- there are a lot of myths.

Do you think a dermatologist would be a good move? Also, and this makes me laugh- I recently bought silcocks base cream- bec I am addicted to buying creams- I think it is calming my skin a bit. Any thoughts on this product?

One last thing, what kind of facial oils can you use? Sure, I will drop into the chemist and have an ol look! I am truly a bit of a fool when it comes to buying lotions and potions. All the shop assistant has to do is smile at me!! He he.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
If you have combination skin, you can use sweet almond oil, olive oil, jojoba, vit E oil.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I highly recommend jojoba oil. Another good option is macadamia nut oil. These are both very stable. I've heard bad things about olive oil on acne prone skin and it is also very unstable, becoming rancid very quickly. Just remember that you only need a FEW drops of jojoba for the entire face. Don't overdo it or you will only make matters worse.

I think the only reason you might benefit from a derm would be to get a prescription of some sort. Possibly a topical antibiotic but these only help for a while because the acne bacteria becomes resistant to the antibiotic and acne comes back. For me they only worked about 4 months and then the acne was back. I would also recommend a retionoid such Differin. This can 'train' your skin and pores into developing more normally as acne prone skin tends to have a few pores that are disfigured from being infected so frequently. This is why we have some areas or specific pores that always breakout.

I've never heard of the cream you're referring to as I'm in the US and I think that's a cream from the UK? A google search produced a lot of results clueing me in that it's probably for eczema but I can't be sure about it unless I see all of the ingredients. Do you tend to have dry or oily skin? Adding lotions and creams to already oily skin can really exacerbate acne. I always recommend a moisturizing toner (such as Paula Begoun's skin balancing, my favorite!) instead of a moisturizer if you have oily skin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I KNOW THE FEELING! Ive found that for spots the best thing is to use a gentle non-exfoliating cleanser day and night and only use a scrub a couple of times a week. Also Body Shop do an amazing product "Vit C micro refiner" which really helps me.

I think the most important thing however is diet. Saturated fats in the diet can increase outbreaks and adding omega 3 to your diet can also help. You should be getting a balance of omega 6
mega 3 of roughly 1:1 however most of us are getting about 20:1 as omega 3 oils are not often in processed foods. You can find them in high concentrations in flaxseed, chia seed and green leafy veg. Or you can take supplements.

One thing I'm trying out at the moment for dark circles is improving my vascular tone. Dark circles have been found to be due to blood cells leaking from the really thin vessels under your eyes and causing this mini bruise effect. The thin skin there makes it more obvious. Things that have been proven to improve vascular health include:

Vit C
Horse Chestnut
Butchers Broom
Gotu Kola
Hesperidin Methyl Chalcone

You might be able to pick them up from a health store or something. I found a site, iherb.com that does the whole lot, they also sell a product called great legs ultra vein formula which has all of those ingredients in (not only good for dark circles). In fact I also bought my flaxseed, chia and supplements from there too. If you want to check it out they gave me a $5 voucher code:

WOX002

Also a good night moisturizer has helped me loads. Boots do one called No.7 protect and perfect night cream which is relatively cheap and works really well.

Oh and the two most important things....WATER and VITAMINS

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have dry skin on my cheeks and an oily t-zone. Sometimes my whole face seems very dry though. My skin is just strange! I used to have milia on my cheeks also.

Yes that product is for dry skin conditions. It is very cheap so I said i'd experiment a bit. I know what you mean about these products exacerbating acne prone skin though.

I will definitely look into those facial oils. Can you get those oils in any pharmacy? I think that thick creams or even just ordinary face creams tend to over load my skin.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
YOu can get those oils at some pharmacies or at Natural foods stores. But you have to read the contents to make sure it's the real thing, and can be used on the skin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I second what lufeeloo says about diet. It's sometimes not so much what you put ON your body, but what you put INTO it that matters. Eat well, eat organic and you should see a marked improvement in your skin. You might also try those colon, liver and kidney detoxes too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,happygolucky
You got lots of good tips that are sure to help.There's one thing that troubled me I know dark circles under one's eyes might indicate kidney problems or may be you drink too much liquid late in the evening.If so,try to have your 2 litres of water before 7 or 8 p.m.
Best Wishes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, I've had so many helpful replies to my post. I do tend to drink a lot of tea and coffee alright so that could be adding to the dark circle problem. Drinking water is getting tougher as the weeks go on but it's a habit I'm trying to get into- a healthy one!
Cheers

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I am really starting to hate my skin. I can't go out without makeup caked on as I look horrendous. I shower and I have to hide in case people see me without makeup. I have fairly thin skin and dark circles under my eyes and now recently- loads of spots in my t-zone. My confidence is knocked for six.

I had a facial today and I felt paranoid that the beautician was horrified by my skin. I use loads of different products and she said I should use only the one range. I know it sounds silly but I have soo many products- I've tried everything believe me- so now I just use a big concoction!

I have no idea what kind of skin type I have- Horrendous I suppose! Only kiddin, I'd say its combination. I wish I had either oily or dry sometimes.

I'm so fed up I actually don't care anymore. Its so time consuming trying to get things right- applying makeup and taking it off effectively blah blah.

Is retin A good? and also the DIY vit C serum?

I'm very down about my skin- wish someone could help!

If I understand this post correctly, I guessing you are not using lots of different foundations?? If you aren't then I'd try something sheer and fresh looking. If you have spots if you use a heavy foundation it will only accent the blemishes.

If you are talking about different cosmetic LINES, like Covergirl foundation, Revlon blush, Almay Shadow....... you get the idea. That should be just fine. Don't let anyone tell you you have to use the whole line from XYZ company. You DON'T. BUT, if your makeup is over, say, 6 months old, it is time to toss them and get new.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Retin A has an anti-wrinkle effect. It increases blood-flow to the skin improving the quality and quantity of collagen fibres in the dermis ie: the lower levels of the skin.

The result is a smoother, plumper, younger-looking complexion. In answer to your query re Vitamin C cream, remember it can take a full hour for ascorbic acid serum to penetrate the skin, so apply it at night before bed.
If you use Retin A, apply topical C on your 'off nights'.

Hope this helps,

redrose
Retin-A was originally developed for ACNE actually. I've never used it so can't say alot about it. It came out when I was in High School in Cosmetology. My sister was prescribed it for her acne.
I always had to remind her that she would age much later than I would because she had oily skin. Dry skin=wrinkles faster.
Sure enough, she's 16 months older and I look like the older sister now. I have very dry complexion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Happygolucky,

I seem to be having similear problems to you. My skin used always be oily and i managed it fine but now im after getting a heap of little pimples all over my face and its oily and dehydrated at the same time if that makes sense!! i havent a clue what products to use and its soo depressing. i used to use dermalogica before to treat the oiliness but now i dont know what to use...and also dont want to go through a huge expense!!!

also ive used silcocs base!!!! sooo cheap but i just read that its got lanolin in it and apparantly thats not great for the skin!!!

aaargh confusion!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts