Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANT TO BE 25 AGIAN!

Since, I cannot go back. Can anyone recommend a great product to create firmness back into the skin?

I use Skinceuticals, and but want a product that is directed to increasing firmness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alpha H Liquid Gold is a good product. Their whole range is quite effective.

I'm not sure how much improvement you can achieve with just a topical product but this is one range to consider trying.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I wish there was an aswer but Fawnie--even if that helps the face, what about the body

I hate having to think about it. I am sitting here doing some work and checking mails on a day I usually would be "frolicking" on the beach--it makes me so sad to be at a place in my life where I have to consider upsetting the delicate balance between enjoyment and maintenance! I WANNA BE 25 AGAIN TOOOOOO

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I wish there was an aswer but Fawnie--even if that helps the face, what about the body

I hate having to think about it. I am sitting here doing some work and checking mails on a day I usually would be "frolicking" on the beach--it makes me so sad to be at a place in my life where I have to consider upsetting the delicate balance between enjoyment and maintenance! I WANNA BE 25 AGAIN TOOOOOO
Well I feel your pain Lexi! Can't you frolic in the shade?? Or wear high powered sunscreen?

Exercise the face (and massage) and exercise the body!

I don't have the Magic Answers either Lexi...wish I did....but that doesn't stop me from trying and hoping I'm staying ahead of it!! Don't despair my beautiful friend!!! There really IS life after 30!!!

(LOL Just pulling your nose a little here!)

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I wish I could Fawnie--but I am using retin-a from head to toe at present to counter the CP problems I had. Luckily it is really working and luckily ADC is around otherwise this option would not be available to me! I am too worried about getting any sun exposure now and also my skin looks really white and blotchy from my treatments right now so I would not exactly feel great about my white self on a beach full of young, hard-bodied brown-cocoa skinned and tanned beach bums. OOOOH I remember the days when I was out there with my baby-oil and had the tan everyone on the beach envied--those were the days.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I feel your pain Lexi......... Oh how I miss the "tanning". My kids cannot even believe I have not once "baked in the sun" Everyone who knows me, expects me to be "golden" once summer rolls around. I really can relate to how you are feeling about this "tanning" situation. Although others may think nothing of it, for me it was a huge part of my life. Oh well, I keep reminding my self that I am truly doing myself a HUGE favor, and that I will reap the rewards in the end........ I HOPE anway....LOL

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mom you are like me, I am known for my perpetual year-round bronzed tan and my countless hours sitting in the sun any free moment I have. It is horrible and sad, to me it feels like I am admitting I am defeated by age!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, you COULD sit in the sun if it brings you true joy. But you know what would happen. I applaud both of you for changing your lives for the better. Maybe it will be a good example to someone you know!

Lexi, do you like the spray-on tan places they have in every mall now? It seems like a healthy alternative.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Fawnie I have had really bad experiences with spray tan. I have often resolved in the past as well to go for the fake bake or to buy self-tanners. My issue is uneven exfoliation which inevitably always happens. There is a new tan called VeraSpray in my area and it looks pretty natural and I was going to go a couple of weeks ago but my skin was really exfoliating rapidly (I started full body retin-a at.1%)Now my skin is smoothing and looking better and I am considering going this week to see how it will look. I have done it a few times but not THIS technology. I last used Mystic Tan--disaster! I went to a convention with colleagues and we were stuck in a hotel in the middle of nowhere and I ended up having horrible peels on the chest that looked like I had leprosy. I also normally notice that the hands, face and certain other areas seem to exfoliate faster (washing and exposure) and leave a very ugly vitiglio looking fake tan. Most times I have tried it I got so annoyed with it that I just reverted back to UV tanning because it is the "real thing". I do have to say that I am liking how much healthier my skin is responding to things now though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have to say.....I have never been a fan of self tanners, but I have been trying a few, and so far I like the Jergens express....i tried other more expensive but I am liking the color of this one...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have the Jergens medium/dark tone firming moisturiser etc----have yet to try it. I am so paranoid about the vitiglio looking hands/wrists to be honest. I have used a skin dye in the past which I liked better. I wish I had the courage to go get tattooed from head to toe in a nice brown pigment

·
Registered
231 Posts
LOL thats a good one Lexi.....never thought of getting a whole body tattoo. I tried the regular Jergens...but never saw much of a difference in color, so I asked the girl at the cosmetic counter, and she said she liked and used the Jergens express. I used it last night, and my legs are a nice color. You have to be careful when you apply it. I hate this, but I know its better for my skin.........so I keep telling myself........

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You are so much like me Mom! I am telling you we need to form a support group for us tanorexics! The tattoo would be ideal. I always thought if I was a nice brown cocoa colour I would just put childrens sunblock all over and enjoy the outdoors and preserve my skin. I hate being so white!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes.....I do too....even though the self tanners are giving me some color, its just not the same. I have not been using them on my face, so I especially miss the color there. I am too afraid of the sun now, especially using the Taz cream. I make sure to avoid it and wear sunscreen. I always felt "prettier" with a tan, especially that I was not blessed with beautiful skin. I felt that having color, sort of covered up my imperfections. Now I just wear some foundation, something I never had to do before in the summer months because I was always tan. I use bronzer as well, but like I said before, not being blessed with good skin I need to wear something, otherwise I look a bit "washed up" LOL.....as I just started with the Taz, I have two pimples, and a bit of redness, so I am not feeling so pretty, I hope I reap the rewards of this Taz cream......can you recommend a good moisturizer to use with the taz??

I asked the cosmetic girl to help me find the Eucerin face cream, (fawnie said that was good) and she told me they discontinued it. I want to use a good one especially while using the retin products

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Mom!
I didn't know Eucerin was d/c'd. Sorry about that. I saw Vanicream the other day at Walmart in the pharmacy section. It's a bland emollient, and that's all you need.
Vanicream, Pharmaceutical Specialties Inc., PSI, RoBathol, Vitec, Free & Clear, sensitive skin, allergy, non-irritating, hypoallergenic, hypo-allergenic, atopic, non-alkaline, skin, sensitive, moisturizer, skin care, hair care, non-soap, soap free, s

The pimples might be "purging", which is expected with retinoids. I had it when starting Green Cream. I kept using it and it went away and my skin got better and better. So you do not need to worry about it. It is getting the gunk out of your skin.

Please be careful with taz. I found it to be very strong and can only now, after a couple months, use it unbuffered. But your mileage may vary! Good luck Mom! I hope you like it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Yes.....I do too....even though the self tanners are giving me some color, its just not the same. I have not been using them on my face, so I especially miss the color there. I am too afraid of the sun now, especially using the Taz cream. I make sure to avoid it and wear sunscreen. I always felt "prettier" with a tan, especially that I was not blessed with beautiful skin. I felt that having color, sort of covered up my imperfections. Now I just wear some foundation, something I never had to do before in the summer months because I was always tan. I use bronzer as well, but like I said before, not being blessed with good skin I need to wear something, otherwise I look a bit "washed up" LOL.....as I just started with the Taz, I have two pimples, and a bit of redness, so I am not feeling so pretty, I hope I reap the rewards of this Taz cream......can you recommend a good moisturizer to use with the taz??

I asked the cosmetic girl to help me find the Eucerin face cream, (fawnie said that was good) and she told me they discontinued it. I want to use a good one especially while using the retin products
Wow! You could really be my long lost sister! I am exactly the same as you. I was thinking the other day how badly I felt about not being tanned and how I only really ever did it because I was not blessed with the nice beautiful smooth skin that I see other girls have. I look now at 20 year old girls and tell myself--I NEVER HAD THAT. I have been thinking "Oh I wish I was 20 again blah blah blah" but in reality I never had that beautiful skin. I had ruddy skin with lots of veins (I am naturally lean) and had ugly freckles and moles and my arms were too white with black hair (not hairy but noticeable hair due to the colour) and I just started to tan and suddenly my skin was no longer bad and as I had dark half-asiatic features which could look hispanic or italian even it suited me well and made my skin look nice and suddenly I felt confident, more secure and certainly more attractive and frankly I was judging from the feedback. Fast forward and despite the fact I was punished in one way by having not such great skin and had to tan, now all that tanning is something I am more petrified of because I am at a point I realise it is going to age me if it has not already.

Talk about crappy luck! I really thought I was very alone in my reasons for tanning but I think a lot of people are actually tanorexic because of skin issues. I knew a girl at my tanning salon in Sweden when I was a teenager and she was about 40 and she would go daily sometimes 2X per day and you could see (almost) under all the colour she had acne. I think tanning is a deeper issue for some of us than just being a vanity question or even an enjoyment question, I think there are serious psychological reasons for some of us and I think this is very overlooked in all the advice and all the criticism of those of us who have tanning issues.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok Thanks Fawnie, I will look into that...thanks

Yes Lexi, I do believe this tanning issue is more than just feeling and looking good on the outside. I definitely feel that there is more to it than just looking good. I find that this "tanning issue" is also a psychological issue, it is more than just looking good on the outside (or should I say "its more than skin deep" lol). It also has significantly lowered my self confidence, this is not an easy thing to admit, but it is true. I never realized just how addicted to tanning I was, until I stopped.

Yesterday my 27yr old neice was over, I caught myself admiring her skin, and wishing my skin was as beautiful as hers, then I thought, If I had skin like hers, I may not of felt the need to work on obtaining that golden glow. Thats when it hit me, I spent so much time trying to obtain perfection, I wanted to look good all the time, I was trying to cover up more than just my skin perfections, I evidently had more underlying issues than I ever knew.

There are many people who have spent their life avoiding the sun, sitting under umbrellas, wearing hats, loading up on sunscreen, just avoiding it completely. I could never imagine myself doing that, I loved the sun to much to be able to hide from it. Now I realize how much better their skin probably is, and how much I probably ruined my own. Then I look at others, like my Dad, who was also a sun worshiper at one time. He spent 20yrs working outdoors, (my brother used to ask my mom why my dad was black and we were white LOL) I am half Italian and half Irish (my dad is Italian) I have blue eyes and dirty blonde hair, but my skin always tanned like my dad. My Dad who is 76 yrs old looks wonderful, people never take him for his real age. He also does not have many wrinkles....go figure. But he did have skin cancer on his back.....He is fine now, but that was scary. This is another reason I try to convince myself of the dangers of tanning.

Tanning was a very important part of my life in the summer months, I miss it very much, but I am also realizing that there are alot more reasons for my tanning than just having color.....I think I need some counseling....LOL LOL

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mom--it is a chicken and egg situation. I ask myself the same thing--would I have been happy as a sun-avoider? The truth is I used the sun and the tan more specifically as a buffer between me and the world to hide my imperfections. Yes I think someone like Madonna (the best example of a lifelong sun avoider) is better off but they are people who did not have skin issues to begin with. Like You I do not have (despite being half Swedish) northern European features. I could never be a platinum, blue-eyed blond. I have a very Asiatic (Eurasian) face and features which lend themselves more toward the exotic meditteranean and asian or latina looks. As a result my ruddy skin looked better with colour and suited me better. Sounds actually like you would do better than I would trying to be more "Germanic" looking. That look never suited and I did what I had to. I NEVER had the small pores and smooth skin look and so when I look jealously at others today I have to remember it. Tanning actually made me much more attractive and exotic and I cannot tell you how many times people would compliment me on my tan, guys would make comments like "You are so dark and your skin is so smooth" ALL was because I was tan.

I am having a very hard time and I have toyed with the idea of saying F It and using the summer to go in the sun and then come Autumn starting a sun avoidance routine. I am torn and also consider maybe doing a very moderated tanning too because at this point it is not going to make or break me just set me back a few months as to rehabilitating my skin and maybe I need to enjoy the summer and throw caution to the wind?!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I always wanted dark hair and dark eyes, dark skin would of even been better.....we always want what we dont have....I am sure you are a beautiful person, inside and out, I bet that other people do not even notice the flaws that you talk about, I think we as women, pick our selves apart to much, MYSELF included.

I still want to be tan!!!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 50 Posts