Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you can help a Retinol newbie here.
I think I'm suffering from an adverse reaction to Neutrogena Ageless Intensives line of creams, but I'm not sure because everything you hear about Retinols tells you that itchy, flaky, peeling skin is normal for the first few days. So I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a normal reaction, and I should "power through it" to get to the point my skin looks dewy and wonderful, or if I should halt right now and stop using the creams.

Let me tell you what happened: being the beauty cream junkie that I am, I purchased the whole line up of Neutrogena Ageless Intensives creams about 1 and a 1/2 weeks ago (eye cream, serum, night cream and day cream which has SPF20 in it). Because no one told me to start using Retinols slowly, and build up to daily use, I started using it all at once - eye cream, serum and night cream at night; and then eye cream, serum and day cream during the day. Sometimes when I would shower in the middle of the day after a workout, I would put the cream regimen back on again (so I would end up applying it more than once a day).

At first it felt great, but after about 3-4 days, it started stinging and burning everytime I put it on. Again, because I didn't know any better (and because the package said that some stinging and redness was normal) I continued.

That was about 1 and a 1/2 weeks ago. And you can guess what happened. Fast forward to today and I have itchy, patchy flaking skin that's very sensitive to the touch. The red areas now are turning brown, and it looks like I have a sunburn over 3/4 of my face (everywhere but my nose, chin and forehead).

I've stopped using the line for now (to let my skin heal), and am using just the basic Neutrogena Healthy Skin for Sensitive skin lotion (no AHAs or Retinols in this one) during the day, and Aveeno Positively Ageless moisturizer at night. I still feel a little stinging when I put these on, but nowhere near as bad as with the Neutrogena Ageless Intensives. And I figure I need something to moisturize my skin while it heals.

My questions for you are the following:

- Do you think this 'sunburnt' skin will go away soon? Will it flake off, or should I exfoliate using the Neutrogena Rejuvenator motorized exfoliator? (which is basically a little pad on a rotating device meant to exfoliate skin faster)

- While I wait for my skin to heal, what should I use?

- Because I've heard so many great things about the Neutrogena Ageless Intensives line, I would like to try it again once my skin heals - but more slowly this time. If I take it slowly and over the period of a few weeks work my way up to daily use, is this advisable for me? Or should I consider my money lost, and just toss the products away?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance.
T

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
trust me, I've been there. Oils, oils and oils - emu, jojoba, rosehip, etc; also eucerin ointment or even pure vaseline; those are ur arsenals against retin-a troubled skin..just keep applying till you heal and start all over again but slowly this time, HTH!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies

I was feeling so alone with my burnt face (in fact, I look very similar to this:
)

Any advice on when I can start using the Neutrogena Ageless Intensives product again? How long after my skin heals can I start using it?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Your skin will definely give you a hint, it will look and feel normal again once its ready. Just a couple of days wait and you'll be fine, i had to wait for 3 days. Dont forget though when you do start over again, apply only on dry skin, every other day for starters, also you can mix same of amount of ret a and eucerin ointment until your skin gets used to it, I did this for days until i finally got bold and went solo with ret. It will pass, hang in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, my husband tells me I'm a glutton for punishment! He's like "why don't you just stop using that cream already...creams shouldn't hurt you". I don't think men understand the great lengths we go to to look good....high-heels, bras, eyelash curlers - they just don't get us.

Great idea to dilute the retinol with another non-retinol moisturizer! Thanks.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes theresa, I think he's right!

I use Retin-A and I mix it with an emollient now after burning myself but good with it "straight". I would trust RA rather than those "combination" products....who knows what-all is in them?

Be careful and don't overdo - it just sets you back that much farther if you have to undo a lot of damage caused by the products themselves. Be gentle not harsh with yourself.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts