Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people here focus on topical treatments for solving skin problems, but as stated in other threads: nutrition also plays a big role.

Here are some food-related suggestions that may help people with various skin problems:

Spots: Redness and blotches are caused by inflammation when the skin has become irritated or damaged. Fish, yogurt, and berries can be helpful in the battle against inflammation.

Dull complexion: It's possible that the dullness is due to too many dead skin cells on the top layer of sin. The epidermis is made up of dead cells that your body naturally sheds over time; eating certain foods can encourage the skin to shed off the dead cells faster to grow new, more healthy-looking cells. Psyllium, for example, naturally encourages skin to exfoliate. Also, vitamin A (found in red or orange fruits and vegetables [like sweet potatoes]) is one of the nutrients that support growth of healthy-looking new skin cells. Lastly, folate and vitamin B12 are needed for cell division (found in Brewer's yeast, mushrooms, and wheat germ).

Acne: Acne involves inflammation, which can be controlled and prevented, which can help treat acne. As mentioned previously, foods like fish can help reduce inflammation. Fruits and vegetables such as lemons, grapefruit, raspberries and eggplants are rich in antioxidants which stop free radicals from causing damage in the skin that triggers inflammation. Also, rich, dark chocolate (so, chocolate containing 85% pure cocoa, not a Snickers bar) has a blood-sugar regulating effect which may help control blood sugar levels which affect sebum production (a cause of acne).

Wrinkles: Research conducted recently has suggested that eating vegetables, legumes, fish and olive oil is linked to younger-looking skin. The good fats found in these foods help maintain the skin's moisture barrier and reduce inflammation. They also contain antioxidants which protect the skin from damage that causes redness, sagging, and imperfections. Vitamin C is extremely important for anti-aging as the strength and rigidity of the skin comes from collagen and elastin which are made using vitamin C.

Obviously none of these suggestions are cure-alls, nor will they magically turn heavily wrinkled skin into a smooth wrinkle-free complexion, but they can be benificial in helping existing problems (in combination with topical agents), as well as in preventing future problems.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

EAT YOUR SKIN VITAMINS

Consider taking extra Vitamin C which the skin needs to make collagen. Also, include lots of fruit and vegetables rich in anti-oxidant nutrients.

These help protect skin from the damaging effects of free radicals, unstable oxygen molecules that are generated after exposure to the sun.

Strawberries, papayas, kiwi-fruit, oranges and sweet red peppers are rich in Vitamin C.

I eat all of the above and am pleased with my skin,

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
88 Posts
I totally agree,

Its not what I put on my face, its what I put in my face that makes the difference- proven to me by any visiting of family where I have to take a week away from my normal fresh fruit and veg addiction (know it sounds wierd, it is wierd!) and I get dull oily skin, spots, my skin looks yellower and just does not feel as smooth- its not a nice experience!

I eat tonnes of fresh stuff, lay off any refined stuff and I really think thats what makes all the difference. It can take a week or two to show if your going to try this, but the longer you stick to it, the better your skin will look and feel. And its nice when strangers ask me how I get my skin- it took me a while to work out it was likely to be what I ate. I mean, good skincare like cleansing and moisturising helps too, but its not what affects my complexion, skin care just affects the condition of my skin, not all of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is quite informative and insightful on the relation between the foods we take and our complexion. Thanks for all these information buddy.

Organic Cosmetics

1 - 5 of 5 Posts