Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From one of my favorite Derm Blogs

A New Favorite: Green Cream – High Potency Retinol - FutureDerm.com

I am still thinking about using this in level 6. I was thinking about using RA one night the GC the next to see how my skin reacts. So far my skin is handling the RA .05% well every night. I take it as with RA you all use this only at night correct? Do you use it all year? Or just the summer?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi my personal thoughts are if you can use ra then do that mainly cause its cheaper and i find even though the green cream may work well on most, it works out very expensive after a while!

I have just found after using for quite a while now im ready to move to on to micro retin, and get this on prescription, i dont pay for my prescriptions anyway, and il be pleased to save my money on the GC in the long and spend this on other things, but hey thats just me!

Yes you use Gc at night and can use it all year long!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree completely. As long as my RA will not cause me any irritation I intend to use it only, but if my "source" for RA ever runs out there is this as a back up. Also there are some here who just cannot tolerate RA. Just thought this would be useful info for others who cannot get to the RA

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I agree with you goat lady, im hoping myself that the green cream was a good intro to using retinol on my skin and hopefully il be ready to use micro retinold soon, as i said anyway in the other post i really think the alcohol in the gc is too much for my dry skin, i hope that micro retin will work ok for me though, fingers crossed!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Goatlady and NY,

I had trouble with Green Cream L6 at first myself. So I used a bottle of L3 and then went back to L6 without any irritation. The ingredients are really soothing and include aloe, glycerin, and tocopherols. But like any retinol, it takes some getting used to. Not the same as tretinoin, but for me it works better. I use it every night and I see no reason why you couldn't alternate it with Retin-A, but I would use each product for a month to 6 wks at a time before alternating to be sure I got the best advantage of each.

Good idea and let me/us know how it works for you this way!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one reason I did think of using this and alternating with the RA is the that it DOES contain alcohol WHY you ask, my skin is by the end of the day is a total complete oil spill. I thought maybe the GC could help with that without losing the benefit of the retinol, but then I suppose I could just tone with rubbing alcohol it is cheaper but then GC has aloe which is SOOOOOO soothing to burned/dry/irritated skin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Goat,
The ethanol in the GC I think is more for its solvent properties and really doesn't dry the skin at all IMO.

[quote from AST website, maker of Green Cream] :
Ingredients Level 6 & Level 9 - D.I. water, ethanol, glycerine, aloe vera gel,octyldodecanol, retinol & polysorbate 20, cucumber extract, butylene glycol, cetyl dimethicone copolyol, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, tocopheryl, acrylates/C10-C30 crosspolymer, tea-carbomer, propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, propylparaben, methylparaben, disodium edta, may contain FD&C yellow 5, red 40, blue1.
The glycerin, aloe and dimethicone more than make up for any drying the ethanol might do. I didn't think it dried my skin at all, in fact I don't even need to use a moisturizer with it at night!

You might be a good candidate for tazarotene if your skin is very strong and has enough oil to counteract its irritation. It's still a retinoid for anti-ageing!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do use the TAZ I kinda alternate it with the RA. It is strong stuff! Great though, really good stuff. I do get the peelies more with the TAZ but it's ok, my skin seems to be able to tolerate it well. Thanks again. I will stick with the RA and TAZ for now.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
fawnie, goatlady, and others, you know they say that alcohol is really bad for your skin as it ages but why is it ok for you to use products such as retin-A gel, BHA/AHA exfoliators, etc. that have alcohol in them but their functions are to prevent aging and keep skin looking youthful.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's ok to drink it to right
please say it is so

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Peri, I knew it was useful in "some" way. Love my glass of Merlot and yes it does give one a glow.

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
well accordiingly to the article "alcohol interferes with the body’s processing of vitamin A (including retinoids). According to Stryker et. al, the consumption of alcohol leads to a reduced absorption of vitamin A from the diet. Because vitamin A is a known antioxidant with anti-aging properties, decreasing its absorption may lead to advanced aging. In addition, retinoids may not be as effective following excessive alcohol consumption, as Leo and Lieber note there is competition between ethanol and retinoic acid precursors, leading to accelerated breakdown of retinol through the cross-induction of degradative enzymes. With retinoids available for less time in the system, it is highly probable less efficacy is achieved, and more probable that the retinoids produce toxic by-products. The latter was verified by Leo and Lieber, as ethanol promotes the toxicity of both vitamin A and ß-carotene in the body. The researchers thereby caution that discretionary (reduced) amounts of vitamin A and ß-carotene are used by drinking populations to decrease the risk of toxicity in the body. No studies to date have been done investigating the efficacy and toxicity of topical retinoids in combination with alcohol consumption, so ask your dermatologist if you are concerned." I should post this up at the skin lightening section lots of people use retin-A there.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH BUMMER. Ok really I am not a slushie, just a glass of wine about twice a week. It's worth the glow I get from it. All things in moderation!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I was actually being sorta sarcastic.
Of course a glass of red wine does more good than harm. The rosey glow was a reference to an alcoholics pinkish-red hue to the cheeks caused by dilation of surface blood vessels resulting in facial flushing.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know Peri! Not the least offended. I think wine is a healthy drink ranks right up there with carrot juice

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh my yes! I love them all. Love beets like crazy. Really I am a healthy eating/drinking machine but I love my glass of Merlot "occasionally"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts