Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pls can anyone suggest a really good foundation for my very fair, blemished prone, combination, mature skin?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, I can suggest a couple that you might try.

It is my life's quest to find the perfect foundation, so believe me you really have to try a few to see how they work on your skin.

It depends on the look you like too:
Matte, natural, dewy?
Full coverage, medium coverage, sheer coverage?
Pale look, some color or a healthy tan look?

Some that might work could be:
Dr Hauschka Translucent Make-Up (over their SPF 20 Sunscreen),
Christian Dior Nude Foundation (over a sunscreen or primer with SPF),
Merle Norman Tinted Moisturizer (more of a light foundation than a true TM- and you still need a sunscreen or primer with SPF under it).
If you can afford it, SK-II AirTouch gets good reviews. Saks has it.

I would stay away from Mineral Makeup since it makes mature skin look terrible and settles into every line and crease.
A good primer smoothes the skin before applying foundation and makes every foundation look better.
If you have a Sephora store near you they have many foundations and are helpful in finding the right texture and color for you.

Hope this helps and happy hunting!! Let us know what you find!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I use Dior Nude and love it. You can layer it to get the coverage you want, and if you still need more coverage you can always apply a powder on top. It is a moisturizing foundation so it doesn't give you that matte look. But it also doesn't get you the "over" dewy look. I have been extremely happy with using it.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Chanel Prolumiere or Lift Lumiere (the last one is more for mature skin)
Guerlain Parure Extreme
Sisley Phyto-Touch - this one is my personal favorite, incredible texture, lasts whole day long and doesn't look like you have foundation on, but it's only medium coverage and not really buildable.
Dior Forever is nice too, but very hard to apply properly and all Dior foundations tend to be very yellow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would suggest using a primer first before applying any foundation, especially if you have dry, mature skin. By applying primer first the foundation will sit atop the primer instead of your actual skin. By allowing foundation to actually sit on skin it is prone to settle in fine lines and pores. I recommend Laura Mercier's Primer more info below:

# Just as a painter "primes" a canvas, Foundation Primer - the original - was created by Laura Mercier in 1995 to "prime" the skin
# Colorless gel leaves makeup looking fresh & colour-true the entire day
# Ideal for normal & combination skin
# Vitamins A, C, & E act as antioxidants & protect the skin from harmful, aging effects of the environment
# Cooling Foundation Primer in the refrigerator is refreshing for the skin & reduces puffiness

it will run you around $30. I am a professional makeup artist of over 10 years and have worked for clients such ESPN, REDBOOK, Natural Muscle Magazine, Oxygen Magazine and Muscle Mag. I also used to freelance for Laura Mercier so I have first hand knowledge of her primer's abilities.

Foundations, themselves, are really personal preference, what works for one may not work for another. You can test out foundations without spending a fortune by simply approaching the makeup counter of your choice and asking for a sample of the foundation that interests you. Don't be afraid to ask for one. The counter girls should see this as a prime opportunity to obtain a potential customer. Clarins makes some very good hydrated foundations. If you have a Clarins counter near you it will be worth the visit. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really like the all-over dewey look. I use to use Revlon's Glowtion, but they stopped making it. I have not found anything I liked since. Luckily, I did stock up when I found out it wouldn't be avail. However, I just started my last bottle. If anyone has tried something that was dewey let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I really like the all-over dewey look. I use to use Revlon's Glowtion, but they stopped making it. I have not found anything I liked since. Luckily, I did stock up when I found out it wouldn't be avail. However, I just started my last bottle. If anyone has tried something that was dewey let me know. Thanks in advance.
MAC Strobe Cream comes close!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I really don't like Fix flud at all. I've got ridiculously pale skin and their lightest colour is still wayyy too dark for me and I found it a bit cakey, I felt like I was wearing about 20 layers of face and I looked like David Dickinson :/
For you that are American and don't know who David Dickinson is...this is him...he presents an auction show and he's a bit of a loon that always has a dewy orange glow to his skin :/

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I really don't like Fix flud at all. I've got ridiculously pale skin and their lightest colour is still wayyy too dark for me and I found it a bit cakey, I felt like I was wearing about 20 layers of face and I looked like David Dickinson :/
For you that are American and don't know who David Dickinson is...this is him...he presents an auction show and he's a bit of a loon that always has a dewy orange glow to his skin :/
That's a really orange look! Hehe

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
pls can anyone suggest a really good foundation for my very fair, blemished prone, combination, mature skin?
Are you looking for liquid foundation or powder? If you looking for powder makeup, I would recommend mac studio fix. It is a powder and foundation at the same time. It gives decent coverage and a matte look.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Fawnie have you ever tried MAC studio fix fluid? Like or dislike?
No ratty, I never was a big fan of MAC foundations, just Strobe Cream and the eyeshadows, which are such fun!! SOOOOOOOOOO many colors!! Never tried Studio Fix......should I? I'm waiting for some Graftobian to show up this week. Did you order anything from camerareadycosmetics?? The palettes look nice by Graftobian.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Have anyone tried revlon colorstay foundation? I have read some good reviews. Is this suitable for oily skin?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
No ratty, I never was a big fan of MAC foundations, just Strobe Cream and the eyeshadows, which are such fun!! SOOOOOOOOOO many colors!! Never tried Studio Fix......should I? I'm waiting for some Graftobian to show up this week. Did you order anything from camerareadycosmetics?? The palettes look nice by Graftobian.
Do you wear the strobe cream under your foundation? does it work?

I got the Studio Sculpt foundation, jury is still out on it. My face isn't completely finished peeling as of today.

But for those that like plum colors........Toni.......
check out MAC's powerpoint eye pencil in Bordeauxline, it is an amazing color!!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
check out MAC's powerpoint eye pencil in Bordeauxline, it is an amazing color!!

Ahem! SHHHHHHHHHH! I have spent so much $$$ on Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On pencils. They are fantastic! Do I need another eye liner fetish?????

·
Registered
80 Posts
ok, i loved Mac, but guess what i have oily skin and mid day, if i wipe my fingers over my face. it comes off. i need a foundation that can cover my dark spots (for those of you who dont know yet, i tried lazer ahri removal on my neck and now its dark like my elbows, so imagin my avatar with reall black neck). i need something that is dryer, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
ok, i loved Mac, but guess what i have oily skin and mid day, if i wipe my fingers over my face. it comes off. i need a foundation that can cover my dark spots (for those of you who dont know yet, i tried lazer ahri removal on my neck and now its dark like my elbows, so imagin my avatar with reall black neck). i need something that is dryer, if that makes sense.
Have you tried mac studio fix? I have oily skin too. Try using an oil-free moisturiser before applying makeup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts