Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think of it? Apparently they contain 2% HQ... is that enough for someone with light brown/yellow skin to lighten significantly over a period of 6-12 months?

·
Registered
59 Posts
i tried it and swear by it. at first i didn't think it works because the consistency is like vaseline but a bit more texture. i was just impatient but it works and i saw results in less than i month. i have to say the greasiness is a put off but i think it works better that way like a seal so the hq can seep into the skin. i find it to really work best after a good cleansing and scrub. rub in the first layer really well...and second time a thin layer. this here worked better than some of the expensive stuff i've tried even with higher hq percentage. i think hq works well but if you're really dark complexion it might not. also, spf is a must and use it at night only

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump. Surely someone knows something about these products, or even can offer insight into the effectiveness of HQ 2%?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
HQ 2% is for mere brightening of already light skin or if you are looking to even your skin tone, HQ 2% will make you even with 6 months to a year of continous use on the skin, I am talking night and day with sunblock. But if you exfoliate you will be faster even skin from HQ 2%. There is a famous medical fomula called the Pathak's formula which is comprised of 0.025% Retin-A mixed with 2% HQ to get even results on your face. But rememeber, HQ 2% with or without exfoliation will not help you even out stubborn pigmentation on knees, elbows, etc. The Red Palmer and Summit HQ 2% products come in a jar which is horrible b/c your HQ gets oxidized and turns brown and useless quicker. Also, these products have a lot of fillers, oils, and unnecessary preservatives that dilute or hinder the true performance of HQ 2%. If you want to use HQ 2% then use it for evening your skin with exfoliation or Retin-A 0.025% (somehow this low strength goes very well with 2%) but be sure to get Eldoquin HQ 2% b/c that is pure HQ 2% without fillers and all the extra junk. Btw Ambi Fade Cream has HQ 2% and works great also b/c it has Vitamin E and other antioxidants that helps with discolorations.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
59 Posts
they also make skin success lotion with other vitamins or etc. not so oily but sucks compare to this...has the same hq percentage. i make sure i scrub my skin real good using it and it does the job. i've never had it turn brown and had the jar for more than a year. i think its because of the vaseline or something that preserve it from turning brown. i like to add that i have this prescribed rash cream and ointment. the ointmet works better and i think its because its greasy...i feel the same way with this. ra might not be for everybody unless you have rough thick skin. adding ra will make the hq more effective but also risk hyperpigmentation and other side-effects with hq.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes dissolving Hq in either wax or vaseline prevents it from turning brown ever, until it goes in your skin. That's why they do that.

Do you guys actually like that orange-brown tone Hq gives? That still looks dark. Especially once you either stop use or get some sun the skin turns darker than ever after Hq use. But at least its not the worst chemical out there.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
it wont turn darker if you continue used sunblock and retin-a after ur done with the HQ. And the vaseline, although it prevent it from turns brown, it is decreasing HQ 2%'s effectiveness.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
59 Posts
i agree with lnl about spf. i've never gone back to the color before i started using hq but i never really worn spf either until after using hq. also, i wasn't that dark to begin with. i used hq to get rid of my farmers tan which it did but not permanently. i quit using hq for sometime because i was cautious about the long term effect of hq, i stuck using spf from time to time. i still say that the vaseline consistency helps, seriously, it condition the skin like a sweat suit and makes the hq more effective probably more so than 2%. i tried otc 3% creams and freds worked better and is really cheap. like my prescription steroid topical i used for my rash, the ointment (greasy the better) works better than the cream or gel version.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tdare has a good point. The 2% might not be as effective as a higher concentration, BUT if the formulation contains things that help it absorb into the skin better, then couldn't it potentially be quite effective?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes dissolving Hq in either wax or vaseline prevents it from turning brown ever, until it goes in your skin. That's why they do that.

Do you guys actually like that orange-brown tone Hq gives? That still looks dark.
Especially once you either stop use or get some sun the skin turns darker than ever after Hq use. But at least its not the worst chemical out there.
I'm naturally sort of a warm-yellowy medium brown (peanut butter+ caramel), so it's blending for me. Also I'm fine with looking dark, I just want to be even!

Also it seems like the orange is an earlier stage... IME, it gets 'cooler' (more yellow than orange) as it gets lighter. Does that make sense?

ETA: As I understand, getting some sun is verboten.
sunblock sunblock sunblock

I'm learning to love the night..lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm with you eggo, i'm a lighter comlexion but any complexion that is even and clear is beautiful. i only use this product at night and wash it off with papaya soap (soap gets everything off) and wear spf lotion during the day so that color orange issue isn't really an issue and i don't really notice it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I tried Fred Palmer a million years ago for my knees and I didn't notice any effect. OTOH, I was totally ignorant of exfoliation & sunscreen. That could be the difference.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Those 2 factors are critical. I learned that when I first arrived here.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
yep, I think that it's ultimately more cost-effective because you're getting max benefits from the lightening creme/gel/serum.

The Retin-A version is new to me but the same principle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So will, 2% HQ in a vaseline base + sunblock + a good diet + exfoliation be effective? Right now I'm a light brown/dark yellow colour, and I want to be a pinkish white at the most. Will this help me achieve my goal within 6-12 months, do you think?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
2% HQ without a vaseline base, get something like AMBI fade cream it has the right base, sunblock, diet doesnt matter really but drinking lots of water and fruit juice does and EXFOLIATION is key, yes regularly exfoliate, you will reach your goals in 3 to 8 months. Go for it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drink only water and fruit juices anyway, so that's a plus. Can anyone recommend anything else that might compliment the process? Nothing serious, just something cheap I can find in a local health store.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, Fawnie! I think I saw yours in my back yard this morning attempting to bury an apple! heehee. too cute!

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
I agree with you, Dr.Fred Palmers does work great, ts greasy, but it works. Ambi is great too, they both work quite fast. And very inexpensive

1 - 20 of 21 Posts