Skin Care Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be interesting, but you have to be honest!

I want you to imagine for a moment that there is a new anti-aging/skin care product on the market that seems to be truly unique based on its tag-line alone. You are presented with only the seven factors as they are listed in the poll.

First, I would like you to vote what is the #1 Most Important Factor in deciding to try it. In other words, what is the #1 thing that you care most about? (Results not applicable since you don't get those until after you buy)

Secondly, why don't you list them, #1 through #7, in order of importance so we can compare and see how different or alike we all are? I will put my answers after a few responses come in because I don't want to skew your results.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I voted research/studies but frankly I would have voted reviews if it were there. I look for independent reviews including negative now every time I consider a new product.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! That's exactly the kind of insight I'm wondering about. Research/Studies is the right category to group that under.

How about least important? I think that's equally as interesting.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
so true packaging who cares! They can put in soup can for all I care if it works I am buying.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I voted research/studies but frankly I would have voted reviews if it were there. I look for independent reviews including negative now every time I consider a new product.
Totally. Results, user feedback, positive comments. I'd be much more motivated to spend money on a product that a majority of people have good results with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I chose "Science/Formulation", hoping that encompassed the results of clinical trials, empirical data and UNRETOUCHED "before" and "after" photos!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I would have to say research studies, proven indredients, and reviews.
Packaging not important.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Research,Ingredients,Cost,Science,Promisary,ease of use and packaging. Oddly with the money I make cost should be my first concern, but it's not.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Ingredients, reviews, with reliable sources, is what I look at. It can come in a zip lock baggy, if it works, that's all I need.

Oh, ya, and I never buy informercial products!! If you have to advertise that much to get people to buy your products, something isn't right, in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ingredients, reviews, with reliable sources, is what I look at. It can come in a zip lock baggy, if it works, that's all I need.

Oh, ya, and I never buy informercial products!! If you have to advertise that much to get people to buy your products, something isn't right, in my opinion.
Hey what about the "Clapper"....loved that darn thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting results so far!

In a previous poll run by an acquaintance of mine, he found that "ingredients" was among the LEAST important factors. I believe his poll was run to a general consumer base of health and wellness members, not specifically skin care seekers.

I'm glad to see a couple of you posting research/studies at the top. The problem with customer feedback and ratings is that it takes soooo long to gain some traction in that area. I put a product on eBay three months ago that has had AMAZING feedback, but it is just now starting to gain traction - I suspect from the collection of fine feedback now established. (Also, it is easy to fake feedback, reviews, etc.... so I'm always a little skeptical about how valuable those REALLY are to people and makes me think that investing in giving out samples or limited free offers might not be worth it. What do you think?)

Anyone else? Keep 'em comin'!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
For me all I can say is what is important to me is PROVEN ingredients backed by studies/research and before after photos that is NOT altered. Price and packaging means nothing if it works and has the science to back it up. Like RA for instance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear that goatlady, thanks!

Would you say then that if I had a truly effective product and offered the first shipment for free (pay only S&H) that the price/packaging would have little impact on a repeat purchase?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha, understood.

By offering the "free first shipment", I believe we would be looking at a slightly higher price point than we'd originally like to offer, but it will still be very reasonable compared to the market. Thanks again for the input! That's good news.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'm with goatlady. The science behind the formulation & the research (esp dbl blind independant studies where results are measured by researchers NOT wishful-thinking subjects who'd been pre-fed 'hype' about what amazing results to expect!) I only care that the packaging is appropriate to the product. For ex, if contents need to be kept air-tight & out of the light, it shouldn't be in a clear jar! I don't give a hoot otherwise about the packaging OR the 'ex-supermodel' hawking it.

As for the price, I want there (for a retail purchase) to be a reasonable correlation between cost & the contents. Creme de la Mer (or as many joke here creme de la merde!) is grossly overpriced. I don't care if Johnny Depp is in it. the cost 'fools' some people into thinking 'it must be good'. I just think 'they must think I'm an IDIOT!' when I see those prices. They exploit an 'i can afford it but YOU can't' attitude.

As for making the first order free, I HATE those offers because then, if you forget to notify them that you do NOT want to be 'auto-shipped' the product, they begin bombarding you with it & billing your credit card. Then, since they have your info, they begin hassling you with all sorts of 'offers' to be further ripped off.

Re. testimonials, most are carefully crafted BS by the vendor. I can spot these BS 'reviews' in my sleep. They are replete with obtuse language like 'it really works' ('works meaning what?) It improved the look of the feel of the appearance of the aspects of the signs of the possibility of aging (WHAT
) or like Valerie Bertinelli in that Meaningful Beauty (corny name
) infomercial "my skin looks better" (than what? Foundation'll make it LOOK better too!) Cindy Crawford looks great because she's a wealthy supermodel who doesn't have to do anything she doesn't FEEL like doing!
Hell: I'd look great too...If I was Claudia Schiffer!

Before & after photos don't sway me at all.

Re. Magic ingredients (like that stupid red canteloupe extract with the faked 'sparkle'
) is something I find condescending. Because the melon doesn't rot doesn't prove in the least that it'll have benefits in extract form, on human skin. Esp in such infintessimally minute qty's. FORMALDEHYDE can prevent corpses from decomposing-just ask LENIN! Hmmm...why can't it 'preserve' the living

Are you planning on marketing a new product
Sounds like you are doing a marketing survey.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.