Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good skin care tips outside the norm? I know we all talk about skin care all the time but I'm looking for some creative things you may do that makes your routine easier or products that may have double usage. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer and wearing plenty of SPF!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I sometimes use lip balm with SPF under my eyes as a moisturizer/sunscreen. Bonus: makes it super easy to wipe up eyeliner, mascara "mistakes".

After brushing my teeth at night, I do a hydrogen perioxide rinse. Hold a small amount of it in my mouth for several minutes (as long as I can), then spit it out. Used consistently it can help whiten teeth.

I dye my hair and sometimes I will use hydrogen perioxide mixed with water in a spritz bottle to extend the time between coloring. I mostly do this by pulling my hair up in a ponytail and doing the "underside" of my hair. The top layer of hair always seems to bleach out faster than the underneath and peroxide can make the contrast less drastic.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Those are good ones LLucy, esp the lip balm undereye trick!

You know I always have something to say about everything on this site, so here's my tips: Nightingale Droppings, ViperVenom and cat spit. Unconventional, but effective.

Nightingale Droppings for whitening the skin. chidoriyaworld.com
ViperVenom for Botox-like effect. Gardenofwisdom.com
Cat spit. LOL. When I kiss my cat it makes my lips swell up for a couple hours! and it's free!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Here's one that I read recently.
Lip Gloss without SPF
Lip glosses can attract the radiation from the sun and penetrate deeper into the skin surface instead of reflecting radiation off your lips. This can hamper the production of collagen and elastin fibers resulting in wrinkles and fine lines. In severe cases, it can also lead to skin cancer. Use one with a SPF or use your sunscreen on your lips.

When driving, put your widow visor over the side window to help block uv rays from hitting your face. Your front windowshield is laminated glass and filters out from 95 to 99% of all uv light.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Shea Butter has a natural SPF of 4 -7. Coco Butter does not have a SPF factor.

An appropriately colored Eyeshawdow makes a great "Brow filler" or when moistened could be used as an eyeliner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm going to have to try the moistened eye shadow trick. Might work better than basic eyeliner on my oily lids. Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Eating a handful of peanuts will give you the same amount of Reverstrol as 2 pounds of grapes.

smooth papaya paste from a smashed papaya around the mouth, lie down, to prevent and remove lip wrinkles

Prepare a paste with honey, olive oil and cream and apply this paste on your face. This will help to remove wrinkles from your skin.
Consume a table spoon of torn ginger with honey. This will help to reduce wrinkles and provides healthy skin.
Honey (uncooked) when consumed with ginger works wonders for graying hair problem
Cut a green Thompson seedless grape in half and gently crush it on your face on the wrinkles. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water and let it dry in natural air.

Application of pure castor oil regularly prevents wrinkles.

Make a paste of ginger and honey. Take this every morning before brushing your teeth.
Continuous intake of this mixture will prevent wrinkles for as long as ..

Ginger is effective for wrinkle management. Ginger extract with honey can be applied on face as well as 1 teaspoon full ginger honey mixture can be consumed daily for natural resistance against skin sagging.
Proper toning is required for the prevention and treatment of wrinkles. You can make a wrinkle remedy toner by mixing two tablespoon of vodka, two tablespoon of honey, and one tea spoonful fennel seed; these need to be soaked together at least for three days to make a fine toner. Using this natural toner regularly at night skin tone will be perfect and it will replenish gradually the elasticity of the young skin.

pure carrot seed oil, known to help prevent wrinkles and firm up skin
\t•\t
\t•\tApply pure castor oil on the wrinkled skin every night before going to bed.
\t•\tPerform a gentle face massage on the wrinkles with coconut oil every night before bed.
\t•\tEach morning before you brush your teeth, eat one teaspoon of ginger and honey, mixed together to form a paste.* You can make the paste in advance and preserve by storing in the refrigerator.
\t•\tStrain the juice from a cucumber and apply on a regular basis to the entire face for 10 minutes, washing off with cool water.* This will be most effective after being done for three weeks.
\t•\tApply a mixture of fresh pineapple and fresh apple juice to your face daily.* This application will help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while making your skin look younger.
\t•\t
Hair Loss
\t•\tApply a little almond oil (badam ka tel) on scalp frequently and massage.
\t•\t
Hair Greying
Wet a lemon half and rub lemon juice into the scalp well. Wash off after it turns dry.

Flax Seed Oil And The Benefits For Your Skin
Flax seed oil is a powerful substance that has many uses. It can be used for overall health and it reduces wrinkles, all at once.

\t5.\t
\t6.\tFlax seed oil helps lubricate the digestive system and softens the skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles.* The flax seed is packed with oils, fibers and protein that supply your body with essential fatty acids, notably omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids. Your body uses the EFAs through hormone production, the metabolism of vitamins and protection at the cellular level.
The seeds from flax create vegetable oil called flax seed oil.

Flax seed oil is one of the oldest oils and has been used for centuries. The flax seeds are edible and the use as a healthy nutritional supplement is rising.

To use flax seed oil for wrinkle reduction and softer skin:* Take 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil (make sure it is fresh, not rancid) up to 4 times a day, starting when you wake up. The first thing you will notice in a day is that some deeply etched forehead wrinkles may start to diminish. (Note: Don't start with this dosage if you aren't used to taking flax seed oil as it may cause diarrhea.)

The reduction of wrinkles works because all the cells of the skin have a special fatty layer that is made of omega 3 acids and other fats. The more omega 3 acids you have in your body, the strong the layer of fat will be around the skin cells. This means that your skin cells will be more plump, which will reduce the appearance of wrinkles and lines.

There are many other benefits of flax seed and flax seed oil.* These include:

•* Anti-inflammatory 
•* Natural laxative 
•* Helps glucose control in diabetics 
•* Softens dry skin 
•* Reducing psoriasis 
•* Lowering Cholesterol 
•* Lowers Risk of breast cancer 
•* Protects against cardiovascular disease 
•* Reduce blood pressure 
•* Kidney disease prevention 
•* Decrease menopause symptoms *** *

To obtain these other benefits, the most effective and inexpensive way to eat flax seed is to grind it fresh and add it to cereal or juice. This is when the flax seed oil and fiber is the most potent (it starts to lose potency when exposed to air), and so you get the most benefit.

Flax seed has a mild, nutty flavor and is much more palatable in the ground form than straight pressed flax seed oil. Further, one quarter cup of ground flax seed is the equivalent of 17 flax seed oil capsul

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have anything really interesting! Just drink alot of water, steam veg and eat lots of in season fruits- 5 a day minimum though- and no two portions are allowed to be identical per one day. Your skin will thankyou for it- give it two full weeks and you really will see the difference! Though fresher looking skin can give you grief- I am not allowed to buy alcohol, cannot neter the lottery (over here you need to be 16 and over) and regularly get asked out by unsuspecting 18 yr olds! (I am 28).

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Good for you, jen! Keep doin it right then!!

Lordm, where did you find those tips??? Wild!!! I will try the grape on my face though. Castor oil made me break out in spots like you wouldn't believe.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Thanks for that great info lordm. I will have to try a few of these-

Not long ago someone one here told us to try smashing grapes and use as a mask. We got Mariepop to give it a try, while fawnie and I cheered her on. She said it was pretty drying after she rinsed it off. I will try the papaya and a few others that you mentioned. Definately the almond oil for hair loss-thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Olive Oil is my best friend.....dry itchy scalp....rub a little oil into the roots and wash out well, it makes a huge difference to both the scalp and your hair will be so healthy and nourished! Rock salt and olive oil mixed together makes a great body scrub just rub upwards from the feet towards your heart to get the blood pumping and that skin glowing then shower off. You're skin will feel like silk!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh and my other favourite is porridge oats in a stocking tied to your bath taps allow the water to run through it and squeeze out the milky substance, soothes irritated skin a treat and really softens it (particularly if you live in a hard water area and your skins suffers)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh and my other favourite is porridge oats in a stocking tied to your bath taps allow the water to run through it and squeeze out the milky substance, soothes irritated skin a treat and really softens it (particularly if you live in a hard water area and your skins suffers)
Also helps to calm my eczema (though prob not enough for more harsher forms of eczema)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ujjayl Kumbhaka: To enhance personal beauty

By the exercise of this Kum bhaka a Yogi enhances his personal beauty. It is thus practiced by assuming the posture called Sukhasana. Render the two nostrils free by the first Kumbhaka inspire through both nostrils fill the stomach and throat with the inspired air suspend the breath and then expire slowly through the left nostril. He that practices this Kumbhaka gets rid of pulmonary cardiac and dropsically diseases. By this Kumbhaka a Yogi cures all diseases dependent upon deficient inhalation of oxygen.

·
Registered
550 Posts
All Natural Recipes for Dry or Aging Skin
Easy Green Tea Toner
1 teaspoon powdered green tea 1/2 cup purified hot or boiling water Mix green tea with hot water until thoroughly mixed. Cool to room temperature. Using a green tea bag to make the tea will be even more beneficial. Then apply toner mixture with cotton pad to face. Do not rinse. Unused portion may be refrigerated for 2 days.

Easy Cheap Rejuvenating Mud Mask Dry Skin
Mix two teaspoons of dirt into a dollop of peanut butter.
Add a small amount of olive oil and a few pinches of baking soda and a pinch of salt.
Mix thoroughly until creamy and lump free. (Optional: place the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it for better penetration and soothing) Massage into face, avoiding the eye area. Place a damp, warm towel over your face and leave on 15 minutes, then rinse well.

Revitalizing Mask for Normal to Dry or Aging Skin
Mix 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mayonnaise and a half-teaspoon of Epsom Salt.
Spread mask over face and leave on 20-30 minutes while lying down.

Mask for Wrinkles
Shred about 5 baby carrots and add 5 drops of extra virgin olive or avocado oil, then put that mixture around your eyes and on face for 20 minutes, then rinse with cold water. Good especially for around the eyes. It will give a natural warm skin color from the orange carotene in the carrots.

Dry Skin Mask
Beat the yolk of an egg until it is light and frothy, then add the mashed pulp of a half avocado, blending it well (you may use a blender at this point). Cleanse your face thoroughly before using this masque (or any masque). Spread the avocado mixture over the face and neck evenly; relax on a slant board or bed for about 20 minutes. Remove with clear tepid water and a face cloth, followed by a rinse of cold water or a mild skin lotion. The result should be a marked improvement in skin texture, and all-around revitalizing.

Healing Dry Skin
Boil about 1 cup of raspberries in 1/2 cup of water, and grind into a really thick liquid. Let it cool, mix it up again and add a few tablespoons of milk (2-3) and rub on area that’s dry every day. Store in frig for a few days.

Dry Skin Makeup Remover and Exfoliant Scrub
Mix together equal parts of vegetable shortening (Crisco) and cornmeal and use as a makeup remover and exfoliant in one and makes your skin look velvet smooth.

Toning Aging Skin Mask
1/4 cup of natural apple juice
1 small cucumber pureed
Mix together well and apply to face, leave on 20 minutes before rinsing off.

Toning Mask, Nourish and Tighten
1/2 tsp. of sea salt
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup of yogurt
Let dry on skin, then rinse well.

Toning Mask, Nourish and Refresh
1 tbsp honey
1 egg
1 tsp crumbled dried chamomile flowers
1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
Let dry on skin, then rinse well.

Moisturizing Mask
1 tablespoon instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 peeled cucumber shredded or pureed
1 teaspoon plain yogurt
Combine all and pat on skin, leaving on 20 minutes before rinsing.

Purifying Mask for Aging Skin
12 tablespoons plain oatmeal ground
2/3 cup hot water
1/2 apple (cored and unpeeled, pureed)
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
Mix all together well, apply to face leaving on 20 minutes before rinsing.

Simple Dry Skin Toner
After cleansing dry skin, use ‘Rosewater and Glycerin’ on a cotton ball as a toner before moisturizing. It removes all the residue grime as well as other toners but the rosewater conditions dry skin and glycerin draws moisture into skin. You can find a bottle of Rosewater and Glycerin in most any drug store very inexpensively although the rosewater is generally artificial rosewater. See my recipe on how to make your own genuine rosewater under categories on "Facial Skin Care-All Skin Types"

Wrinkle Prevention and Softer Skin
To prevent wrinkles and soften skin, pure castor oil is said to slow down the aging process of the skin. Also halibut fish oil is loaded with vitamin A and helps prevent skin from aging. Taking Flaxseed Oil and Omega Oils orally also help keep skin young from the inside out as well as having lots of other health benefits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts