Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facelifts may never be the same again. Scientists have found that sagging skin is not itself to blame for making us look older – itâ€2122s our sagging skulls.

A head-scanning study of 100 patients by Duke University, in North Carolina, over three years reports that as we age, our skulls change shape. Our foreheads get bigger, our lovely cheekbones become less prominent and our facial bones tilt forward. “This causes our facial bones to lose support for the overlying soft tissues,†says the researcher, Dr Michael Richard. “That results in more sagging and drooping.â€

The study overturns the idea that our facial bones, along with the rest of our skeletons, tend to stay stable after puberty. Dr Richard says the research also shows that facial bone changes seem far more dramatic in women, perhaps due to the same hormonal shifts that cause osteoporosis. “Itâ€2122s not fair, itâ€2122s not fair,†he adds. Dr Richard told the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive surgeons that his discovery may mean that facelifts have been tackling the wrong problem: “Our focus has always been on tightening and lifting soft tissues, skin and muscle. It might be better to restore the underlying bony framework of the face to its youthful proportions.â€

Bone-shifting could prove easier than current methods, he says: tissue surgery often carries the risk of cutting the facial nerve. Bone shifting would obviate this risk and involve less surgery.

Bone-shifting facelifts might cause confusion and dismay to Japanese vending-machine makers, however. This week they unveiled a cigarette machine that can distinguish adults from minors by determining their approximate ages – thanks to facial-recognition technology that visually scans buyersâ€2122 skull shapes, wrinkles and the way their skin sags. Still, for many of us, being told that we appear far too young to be buying smokes sounds like a double bonus.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Very interesting. "Facial bone changes seem far more dramatic in women."
That's good to know.
Fawnie...it might be time to drop the facial exercises and get out the hammer and chisel.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Female bones are thinner so it would make sense. Also female bones weaken with menopause whereas male bones tend to stay pretty constant through life in density. I do not really see why this is news, old people shrink and many women have tended to get hunched from osteoperosis. This makes perfect sense. The other thing is that biologically a males facial bones are geared more toward being "durable" during battle/hunting/fighting and female bones have been geared toward displaying fertility. A female retains neotonous features into later adult years whereas a male facial skeleton actually has functional change.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This makes things crystal clear to me now!

The way very old women have those giant wigs that they've had since 1972 and now the thing has taken on a life of its own! Their heads have shrunk!

LOL Peri - beefing up the cheek muscles can give the *appearance* of killer cheekbones!! Without the fillers or implants. You knew that!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This makes things crystal clear to me now!

The way very old women have those giant wigs that they've had since 1972 and now the thing has taken on a life of its own! Their heads have shrunk!

LOL Peri - beefing up the cheek muscles can give the *appearance* of killer cheekbones!! Without the fillers or implants. You knew that!
Fawnie--how do you do that without wrinkling under the eyes/crow's feet? I want more frontal cheekbones and when I smile I like the cheekbone's but when I rest my cheekbones are too Asiatic and go off to the side giving me a flatter face (does not help that I have no chin protrusion either).

I have tried to do excercises but the entire crow's feet area seems to flex at the same time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Female bones are thinner so it would make sense. Also female bones weaken with menopause whereas male bones tend to stay pretty constant through life in density. I do not really see why this is news, old people shrink and many women have tended to get hunched from osteoperosis. This makes perfect sense. The other thing is that biologically a males facial bones are geared more toward being "durable" during battle/hunting/fighting and female bones have been geared toward displaying fertility. A female retains neotonous features into later adult years whereas a male facial skeleton actually has functional change.
Sounds like theres a little problem: females now do their own battle, hunting, and fighting.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sounds like theres a little problem: females now do their own battle, hunting, and fighting.
And the Y chromosome is dying. My evolutionary prediction is that we will become one gender in the next 1000 years if we do not kill ourselves off! The reality is that as nice as pair-bonding is or rather feels for us, we would achieve a lot more in the world and universe if we were not prisoners to looking good for each other, impressing each other, vying for each other and being consumed with pair-bonding. I think as soon as we find a quasi-immortality (ability to stave off aging, regenerate organs and fight most disease) the sooner we will make astronomical advances never before dreamed of. (Sorry-just a theory break!)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, I had no idea.. It kind of depresses me a bit, that it's something we can't control, in the slightest. Lol! But hey, we can keep trying though, eh?

·
Registered
140 Posts
...and that's why they have dermal fillers. Fantastic stuff for creating cheekbones which have gone missing (from these reports). There is some hope!!! but what about the forehead bones and the jawline? How can these be 'fudged'?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well!, I'm going to start researching bone vitamins to take with my skin vitamins.

I do tai chi to keep the bones in my body healthy but that doesn't help the face bones!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You can actually do a medpore graft on the forehead. This is a procedure I read about that has been used to treat transsexuals and those with genetic deformities. (Male heads are flatter than female thus they need to have them augmented). The most worrying area to me is the jaw as the female jaw (mandible) is slighter and bone loss can result in tooth loss so there is a functional concern. Fat can be grafted to the temples to maintain youth (if you notice the fat goes there, especially on women and then veins start to bulge there). Restalyne or other dermal fillers can also be good at augmenting cheekbones but so too can removing buccal fat pads if one is a sagger which will in itself contour the face.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can actually do a medpore graft on the forehead. This is a procedure I read about that has been used to treat transsexuals and those with genetic deformities. (Male heads are flatter than female thus they need to have them augmented). The most worrying area to me is the jaw as the female jaw (mandible) is slighter and bone loss can result in tooth loss so there is a functional concern. Fat can be grafted to the temples to maintain youth (if you notice the fat goes there, especially on women and then veins start to bulge there). Restalyne or other dermal fillers can also be good at augmenting cheekbones but so too can removing buccal fat pads if one is a sagger which will in itself contour the face.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well just as a reference for all you ladies, do not ever have a traditional forehead lift if you are so inclined. You will notice that raising the hairline is a side-effect and it makes a woman have a masculine and "mask" look. A forehead lift should only be done by removing skin "at the hairline" and making a fine incision at the hairline which is secured and allows hair growth in front and back of the incision.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well!, I'm going to start researching bone vitamins to take with my skin vitamins.

I do tai chi to keep the bones in my body healthy but that doesn't help the face bones!
Yes I've wondered how a great bone health program would affect the ole noggin getting bent out of shape.
Could only help I'd think.
Some supps I'm currently taking for bone health are calcium, vitamin D3, vitamin K2 (mk7)....this one is the latest superstar in the supplement world. Helps keep calcium in your bones and out of your arteries.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I want one! It will take care of the hair thinning AND the face lift I want!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts