Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a complete article, but I read an article about 8 years ago in a medical health magazine. I just stuck with me. I don't eat desserts generally, but I do put sugar in my coffee every morning! That same article also explained why 'diet' drinks are even worse on your collagen & elastin. Food for thought.

www . themedguru.com/articles/giving_up_sugar_can_make_you_look_ten_years_younge r-7323108.html]Giving up sugar can make you look ten years younger | TheMedGuru[/url]

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Peri any way to get all those in ONE pill or drink? Geesh I take so much already but don't want to miss anything

·
Registered
98 Posts
And you're posting this the day after Halloween, when I have 10 tons of leftover Halloween candy. That is cruel and unusual punishment

okay, okay I'll read the article. That must be why you look so lovely in your picture, I was just reading an article this morning, I have a lovely zit on my chin this morning and how diet has so much to do with breakouts. Guess that halloween candy also might be why I have that zit on my chin.

Thanks bunches,
Sandy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sandy. Sorry about the 'UNTIMELY' post. I think I'm just 'genetically' lucky. I didn't get bad acne as a teen, and it took ages before my grandmother started to wrinkl. She still looked pretty good when she died at 85 (from an untimely accident). Perhaps not eating a lot of sugar contributed or maybe not. Who in the heck knows. The body is one COMPLEX machine! lol

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I suffered for about a week, eating just fresh or dried fruits, nuts, berries, vegetables and white meat. With plain water and lemon tea. And milk-less oatmeal for breakfast. Result? Greatest skin. But I couldn't endure, I got weak and fell back to old eating habits.

But I find it weird tho, most fruit contain glucose, and that's a simple sugar too, no?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I don't know how anybody can go without sugar I've tried myself.... stevia in the coffee uck! If you did it for a week I congratulate u! You have way more will power than I do. I had to break down and put it in my coffee.... as for your question about glucose I think I can answer that.... Sugar is far harder for the body's metabilism to break down and use...where glucose is a different kind if it's a natural kind aka Apple, orange, this is much easier for the body to break down and utilize, when you give blood they give you orange juice right? cause it's something that the body can convert much easier into energy than anything with sugar. I hope that helps

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mony,
Have you tried Agave nectar in your coffee? It's much lower on the glycemic index than sugar and it's all natural. It's also delicious, I promise. I would love to be able to use Stevia in my coffee, but it just tastes NASTY to me. I can endure it if I have nothing else but it takes the joy right out of my cup of Joe...
Agave nectar will also dissolve in cold beverages or so it's claimed. Haven't tried it in iced tea or lemonade (don't drink much of either) so I can't vouch for that. I just think Agave nectar is a great sugar substitute. It's not calorie free but it is better for you than sugar.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't know how anybody can go without sugar I've tried myself.... stevia in the coffee uck! If you did it for a week I congratulate u! You have way more will power than I do. I had to break down and put it in my coffee.... as for your question about glucose I think I can answer that.... Sugar is far harder for the body's metabilism to break down and use...where glucose is a different kind if it's a natural kind aka Apple, orange, this is much easier for the body to break down and utilize, when you give blood they give you orange juice right? cause it's something that the body can convert much easier into energy than anything with sugar. I hope that helps
I'm with mony...it's oh so nice to have a good nosh every now and again, that makes me happy, happy people are more attractive.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
argh me too i cant live without the stuff!! although i hate the aftertaste of sweeteners.

i used to eat lots of dried fruit but a nutritionist told me i would give myself issues because there's lots of sulphur etc in the drying process. not sure if that was a fib or not.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You can buy sulphur dioxide free dried fruit. It doesn't look as nice as the sulphur one, but it's softer and tastes much better. I love sulphur free apricots, they look like a mix between dried plums and figs, but they practically melt in mouth. But they are hard to find, sometimes even organic shops have SO2 in their dried fruits.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Nothing that serious, it's not like mercury or asbestos, but since I sometimes live on dried fruit, I would have loads of SO2 in me considering that one dried apricot can have up to 15 mg of SO2 in it.
And that stuff is used as a preservative in wine too. I think it was 5-10 mg per one bottle red wine and twice as much in white wine. But those are just number from my head, so it could be wrong.

National Pollutant Inventory - Sulfur dioxide: Health effects

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is great information. I desperately need to cut sugar out of my diet as I have the biggest sweet tooth, but I want to age nicely

1 - 20 of 30 Posts