Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am just starting back on Retin A and I want to do a series of glycolic acid peels (mostly for the collagen stimulation). I don't want to stop using Retin A for the entire 6 weeks that I will be doing the GA peels. But, I have read that 2 weeks before the peels, you need to use an AHA daily product of 5-10% to prep your skin. Can I continue on Retin A and use an AHA product in the morning? How do you ladies do this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Speaking of Retin A, I am just starting it and wondered if I should order one tube of .25% and one of .o5% to start, or go straight for the .05%? Also, which do you ladies prefer, gel or cream?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
its best to start with a lower %age first then build up as skin starts to tolerate it better.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You can also order a higher strength and buffer it, thereby stretching it further. I use Bariederm, but you could use any mild emollient cream to mix it with.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
After my first glycolic peel will I be good with just mild cleanser, ointment (if needed), jojoba oil and sunscreen?
Yes, this looks great^^. Good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
So I am just starting back on Retin A and I want to do a series of glycolic acid peels (mostly for the collagen stimulation). I don't want to stop using Retin A for the entire 6 weeks that I will be doing the GA peels. But, I have read that 2 weeks before the peels, you need to use an AHA daily product of 5-10% to prep your skin. Can I continue on Retin A and use an AHA product in the morning? How do you ladies do this?
did i miss where this was answered?? i was thinking of the same series so any answers re the ra appreciated,do you need to stop and if so for how long,

thanks guys

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You didn't miss an answer, no one gave one! But, my skin is tolerant and I am able to use Retin A up until the night before the peel, and use a mild AHA in the morning under my sunscreen. I haven't had any problems. Your skin may be more sensitive, so you may want to take it slow and see what your skin tolerates.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What is the difference in the RA cream and gel? Is the cream better suited for dry skin? I have an oily t-zone and very dry around the eyes. Would it be best for me to get one of each and use the cream around the eyes?

Also, I did my first glycolic peel (50%) and had very little itching and no burning. I must admit that I was very surprised based on y'alls experience. Looking forward to doing it again next week

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I use both myself. The cream is more suited for dry skin. I use the gel mostly on my oily beacon of a forehead.

50% Glycolic stings like fireants. You may have had a buffer in yours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. As far as the peel, I got it from Make-up Artists choice. I think that is the one that several people on here recommended.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I got the glycolic from another vendor. Could be the difference. Some use buffers to take the sting out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have done 3 peels (50% glycolic) one week apart. My first was 1 1/2 mins, 3 1/2 mins and the last was 5 1/2 minutes. I have not had any peeling at all, in fact it didn't even sting. Should I be doing something different, or do I just need to switch to a stronger peel? This is the first time I have done any peels, so I'm not sure what my next step should be.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I have done 3 peels (50% glycolic) one week apart. My first was 1 1/2 mins, 3 1/2 mins and the last was 5 1/2 minutes. I have not had any peeling at all, in fact it didn't even sting. Should I be doing something different, or do I just need to switch to a stronger peel? This is the first time I have done any peels, so I'm not sure what my next step should be.
Who are you buying your peels from?? This could be a contributing factor. Most of us here buy from MUAC and have great results with most of their peels. MUAC is Makeupartistschoice in case you were wondering-

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's where I got it from, MUAC. Should I try a second layer, leave it on longer, go stronger, try a different peel??? I'm baffled...

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Glycolic never does anything apparent for me. I never itch, sting, get red or peel. BUT...my skin gets really smooth and I love the way it looks after. So....not sure what's up with that, but I still use them.

I am trying to get up the nerve to do a TCA!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glycolic never does anything apparent for me. I never itch, sting, get red or peel. BUT...my skin gets really smooth and I love the way it looks after. So....not sure what's up with that, but I still use them.

I am trying to get up the nerve to do a TCA!!
I was quite nervous about the TCA peel too...I think it sounds a lot more harsh than it is, but overall I got much better results (although the "down time" was longer...lots of peeling). I also found glycolic really burned when I had it on, while 1 layer of TCA didn't hurt at all (2 layers hurt a bit....3 layers *really* hurt). I also found that the TCA liquid itself went a lot farther and I got more for my money (not that most acids are expensive...but it counts for something).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts