6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about these?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't know much about the peels.
But I have been using Alpha H 10% glycolic rejuvenating cream & Liquid gold daily and 15% glycolic mask for several years now, love it.
Its a lot more gentle than a peel. It exfoliates the skin slowly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glycolic acid is a form of alphahydroxy acid isn't it? If it is there was a dermatologist on the TV the other night here saying that her recommendations for anti-aging skin care were Vitamins (A, C, E especially A) and alphahydroxy acids. So they sound like a good thing. My sister has a AHA peel regularly and swears by them. Her skin is lovely for 42. So they seem to be working. Interestingly the other thing the derm recommended was to buy a moisturiser with approximately 10% alphahydroxy acid in it. This was to allow the acid to remain on your face. It is not easy to find a moisturiser with this much AHA in it but I did eventually find it in my chemist.

Cheers from

Australia

the Botox capital of the world (per head of population)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Heres a bit more info Alpha-H Skin Care is a range of powerful and innovative skin and beauty products, designed to treat the skin concerns of all ages.

Using proven key ingredients such as Glycolic Acid, Licorice Extract, and vitamins A, C and E, the Alpha H skin care range targets skin conditions such as:
• premature ageing and wrinkles
• pigmentation and dark patches from sun damage
• acne, blackheads and scarring
• rough, thickened or uneven skin texture
• dull, lacklustre complexion

I think you can get it on ebay and
Alpha-H - Adore Beauty - Makeup, Cosmetics & Skin Care Shopping and Reviews

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have used a blend of alpha- and beta hydroxy acids for some time now. It started as a way to solve my acne problems with salicylic acid and I still use it. Salicylic might be the acid peel for those with oily skin and clogged pores. It cleans clogged pores better than the alpha hydroxy acids. Salicylic acid will strip the skin of oils. Very good for normal to combination skin too.

If you have dry skin go for the glycolic, malic or lactic acids. Glycolic is regarded as the strongest of them and most penetrating, still it will only reach the upper layers of the skin and give a really good peel. Glycolic acid can irritate the skin and it is best to start with a peel at a low percentage, mabe 20% for a while and then gradually increase to 50-70% at the upper scale; depending on your skin and how strong a peel you want. If you find glycolic too irritating try lactic. It does much the same job but with less irritation.

Acid peels will give you smoother softer skin and help keep pores unclogged (both alpha and beta) from the first peel, and after 2-3 months or so hyperpigmentation/age spots, fine lines will start to fade. You might see difference on the fine lines faster but it gradually gets better. Good skin care products is a must when you start with the hydroxy peels. Creams and serums with vitamin C, E, anti-oxidants, lipoic acid, hyaluronic acid among others are great.

Hydroxy acids in a cream is not nearly as effective as a peel. Hydroxy acids are to a high degree prevented from working by oils in the cream and the natural oils in the skin. That is why the skin care person at the salon uses several cotton balls with a special toner after cleansing to make the skin as clean and non-oily as possible. If you use it at a 10% concentration in a water based cleanser and massage it into the skin for a few minutes it will have a chance of working.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I have used glycolic peels before. I like them and always see great results. It makes my skin smoother and leaves it with a tightening effect. If you are going to try the peel yourself, just be careful what % you start out with.

I am currently using a AHA/BHA on a weekly basis. It is mild but yet effective to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have been using Skinceuticals Gel Peel GL at home (I know I should have a professional do it) but my skin is like steel. I leave it on for 10 mins when it suggests 5 mins and I still get no peeling action.

Is there something stronger and safe to use at home.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've used a 35% glycolic peel ordered twice, 7 days apart. The first time I barely applied it and felt nothing during the process, leaving it on my face and chest for 3 min. I didn't notice any difference other than a short-lived redness immediately afterward. (My chest was redder and during the following week some blemishes appeared which is unusual for me there.)

During the 2nd peel, however, I felt stinging of the skin almost immediately. It was certainly tolerable, but I was glad to wash it off 4 minutes in. More redness, a few red marks on my neck, and some places on the face that were very red long after the other skin settled down again. I ended up having some mild peeling in those very red places that took a full 9 days, but the skin underneath is smooth, fresh and freckle-free. I decided because of these irritated places to give my face a 2 week rest, and I will soon give myself another peel now that all is settled again.

My chest area is suffering from a breakout, however, which has me pretty confused. I don't usually have blemishes there, but the peel seems to have brought everything to the surface. Maybe the pores there are getting exfoliated? Not sure what's going on there, so I'm not going to retin-a this area for a bit to prevent further irritation.

Others have given you some good info on what peels do, and the differences, so I won't go there. I have to say 2 weeks into it and I am very happy with the results. My skin looks lighter and smoother, and although I can't attribute it to the peel completely, I believe it has sped up the exfoliation process considerably. It's an easy procedure to do, and inexpensive too. I have read in many places if you have a dark complexion that peels can scar with dark marks, so keep that in mind when getting a peel with a certain strength level. The higher concentrations might exfoliate more harshly, but they also may scar more easily.

Oh by the way, I applied the peel once to the backs of my hands and WOW! I immediately saw results, as in no dark age spots, MUCH smoother skin, and an overall 'freshening'. I'm going to apply the peel to my arms when I get around to it and see if that has the same affect. As in everything, we all have different skin and different results, but I think peels are certainly worth doing if you're interested in improving aged skin.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I agree Clabbergirl.

Using a peel helps any other product that you use penetrate better into your skin. I think it is wise to use a peel, even if it is only once a month. Just to exfoliate all that gunk off. Just keep it away from the eye area.

I too apply my peel to the back of my hands. But I also apply most of my face products to my face, neck, chest and hands!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gymrat (and anyone else), have you had any issues with breakouts after a peel? My skin is certainly improving with these peels - softer, clearer, tighter, and lighter - but it's as if all the congestion within the skin is working its way to the surface. I've been a Retin-A user for over a year and blemishes have nearly become a thing of the past. But the morning after a peel, I'm seeing spots that pretty much stay until they're sloughed off through my general skin care routine through a week or so. Is this to be expected? It's been particularly bad on my chest and decollete area - and this area is the slowest to go (also the less exfoliated compared to my face).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Glycolic acid is a form of alphahydroxy acid isn't it? If it is there was a dermatologist on the TV the other night here saying that her recommendations for anti-aging skin care were Vitamins (A, C, E especially A) and alphahydroxy acids. So they sound like a good thing. My sister has a AHA peel regularly and swears by them. Her skin is lovely for 42. So they seem to be working. Interestingly the other thing the derm recommended was to buy a moisturiser with approximately 10% alphahydroxy acid in it. This was to allow the acid to remain on your face. It is not easy to find a moisturiser with this much AHA in it but I did eventually find it in my chemist.

Cheers from

Australia

the Botox capital of the world (per head of population)
Donnel 20 is a 20% body/foot lotion but I have used it on my face with great success. It stings at first and then slowly you get used to it but it makes your skin shine and look very young and supple. Also Eucerin Intensive Repair has what I have been told is 7% AHA though they do not specify. It is great for the body but too greasy for the face.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for all the info. You've got me eager to try a mild glycolic acid peel from time to time . I'll give it a go & post any results. Thanks!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Gymrat (and anyone else), have you had any issues with breakouts after a peel? My skin is certainly improving with these peels - softer, clearer, tighter, and lighter - but it's as if all the congestion within the skin is working its way to the surface. I've been a Retin-A user for over a year and blemishes have nearly become a thing of the past. But the morning after a peel, I'm seeing spots that pretty much stay until they're sloughed off through my general skin care routine through a week or so. Is this to be expected? It's been particularly bad on my chest and decollete area - and this area is the slowest to go (also the less exfoliated compared to my face).
The only time I had a little purging was from a TCA peel. And only one time. I have used quite a few other peels and have never had a problem with break outs.

If you are having break outs, I'd say it's working, it's gone, and good riddances!! Oh the joy of a peel, the underlying skin is fresh and beautiful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is clearing up, and I really think it is the impurities coming out. I went through something similar when I first started Retin-A ages ago, but I guess having used that for so long, I didn't expect it with a peel.

Can't wait for it to all settle down. Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
There are lots of peels out there , only a few of them are recommended for home use. AHA and BHA are safe to use. AHA peels are gradual peels, meaning if you don't actually burn your skin, you will have no flaking. It is very easy to control either by choosing different concentrations or the time you leave it on. It is very easy to neutralize either with bakingsoda dissolved in water or rinsing with water. Actually, skin will neutralize these acids by it's self but it's safest to end the action on the skin after a given time to have better control. A 70% glycolic peel is very strong and even skin of steel should be a bit careful with this. If your skin is a bit on the oily side it is worth trying a salicylic / glycolic blend; it might give a better result.

BHA (salicylic) is a bit different, I don't know why exactly, but it is much easier to flake a bit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hi IluvNY

I'm not really stuck on one brand, but I prefer ready to use types and I find them on ebay and stores. These days I use several products from a seller on ebay.uk (foreveryoung or something like that). They are really good. I have tried different peels from skinactives, l'oreal and others but I prefer the simple ones. They all do much the same thing, the most important factor is to find the right strength for your skin type. I often buy the least expensive and save all the good stuff for serums and creams.I have used a fairly strong salicylic/lactic blend weekly for some time now.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
thanks 2blue im actually thinking of ordering some stuff off skinactive, especially now that we have a client coming down beginning of july from the us, they have been ever so kind as to bring me the packages that i have been ordering from the american websites, with them, when they come to visit us every couple of months!

il also look on ebay as well, i have just been thinking that it might be good to do a facial once a month on my skin as well as using retinolds, i think though that it is always better to start off with a lower percentage and then slowly build up the percentages, personally gylonic peels never did much for my skin when i used to them, my skin does tend to prefer lactic acids and aha though

i dunno il def do some research online today, thanks for the tips 2blue

1 - 20 of 22 Posts