Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I believe it will if you do them too often. It gets rid of dead skin that would fall off anyway, the flakey layer that makes your skin look dull, but it also gets to the rest of the epidermis too. If you give it enough time and baby and protect your skin, it will repair itself. If you don't, you will continue to damage your epidermis.
So, how often to do one? It depends on what you are trying to accomplish, how old you are and what your daily skin care routine entails.
I use an OTC Retinol product nightly and I gently dry brush my face daily. Therefore, I use my glycolic peel maybe once a month or so (if that) and only leave in on for like a minute. I don't peel very much at all, but peeling isn't really my goal. My goal is to get rid of the dead skin and 'freshen up' my complexion if and when it starts to look a little dull to me. After I do a peel, I skip the Retinol for a night or two and use a Vitamin E cream instead and I baby my skin for the next couple of days (am very, very gentle with it).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have seen someone mention glycolic pads, not sure where you buy them but I am interested, but if you used them everynight would that be drying the skin too much?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have seen someone mention glycolic pads, not sure where you buy them but I am interested, but if you used them everynight would that be drying the skin too much?

I think it depends on the percent of glycolic acid in them and, of course, your skin type. I would think for most people who do not have sensitive skin but have normal or oily skin if the pads were 10% or less, daily use wouldn't be a problem. Even so, I think it's a good idea to give your skin a periodic break from all acids...jmo.
Basically, everyone's skin is different, so depending on what you want to accomplish, there's bound to be some trial and error with peels (I'd just be cautious and minimize the 'error' part of it). I'd say if you just want to brighten your complexion, get rid of dead skin cells, etc...start off low 15-20%once a week, be gentle with your skin for a few days and watch how it acts for a week or so. If you see any peeling at all, you probably won't need anything stronger and may even benefit from something weaker.
I know you can get a 5% toner. It's pretty gentle. I think most people could use that daily. The results won't be dramatic like with an actual peel, of course, but it works great as a toner and it probably does a little for dead skin cells. I don't use it very often, though, I'm not a 'toner' type of gal really...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Avon sells the pads- one jar is the pads the other jar is the neutralizer. they aren't that strong though. and I believe it runs up to 25$. I've tried them and do them once every 2 weeks, they do a nice clean up job- but no miracles, tingles a bit but honestly there isn't much of a difference before and after you use them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts