Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi girls,

I have very oily skin with some acne scars and I also suffer from facial redness. I am looking for a good powder foundation which will help hide my blemishes, help my skin stay matte and also provide good coverage. Currently, I am switching from studio fix to bare minerals and they are good for everyday wear but I am looking for something that will give more coverage as I intend to wear this foundation on my sis in law wedding. I would really appreciate if you would come up with some brands so I can decide which one to buy.

Thanks in advance,
Pumi.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope someone has suggestions, cause I too have the same problem as you......
It's such a big prob when you have oily skin coz most make-up just don't stay for long on the face. Studio fix makes my skin break out and it oxidises after a while. Bare minerals leave my skin shinnier. I have been reading on glominerals. Have anyone tried this? Would love to hear ur thoughts.

Cheers

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Be careful trying a lot of different products if the wedding isn't far away! You don't want to end up with a lot of new problems Pumi!

If your skin is very oily, and especially in summer, you could try a mattifying primer, Ros uses Ketsugo gel which is available in UK.

MakeupForever makes a green primer that cancels out redness.

Dragonlilly uses GloMinerals and likes it! Hope you find just the right thing!!
have fun and dance the night away!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use bare minerals, but when my face gets too oily I use an oil blotting pad (neutrogena has some good ones) which gets up all the oil but leaves my makeup in tact!

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Hi girls,

I have very oily skin with some acne scars and I also suffer from facial redness. I am looking for a good powder foundation which will help hide my blemishes, help my skin stay matte and also provide good coverage. Currently, I am switching from studio fix to bare minerals and they are good for everyday wear but I am looking for something that will give more coverage as I intend to wear this foundation on my sis in law wedding. I would really appreciate if you would come up with some brands so I can decide which one to buy.

Thanks in advance,
Pumi.
Hi Pumi- I haven't been lately so I am playing catch up tonight- have you ever tried Eucerin before you apply your foundation? This product works really well. You only need a little bit, as it truly will make your face green. I use it from time to time. I also think it will help with the oil issue.

Eucerin

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Pumi- I haven't been lately so I am playing catch up tonight- have you ever tried Eucerin before you apply your foundation? This product works really well. You only need a little bit, as it truly will make your face green. I use it from time to time. I also think it will help with the oil issue.

Eucerin
Thnaks for ur reply, gymrat. No I haven't tried eucerin but from the link u provided it sounds like a promising product. I will give it a go.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use bare minerals, but when my face gets too oily I use an oil blotting pad (neutrogena has some good ones) which gets up all the oil but leaves my makeup in tact!
I experience the same problem with BE. It makes my face oilier

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be careful trying a lot of different products if the wedding isn't far away! You don't want to end up with a lot of new problems Pumi!

If your skin is very oily, and especially in summer, you could try a mattifying primer, Ros uses Ketsugo gel which is available in UK.

MakeupForever makes a green primer that cancels out redness.

Dragonlilly uses GloMinerals and likes it! Hope you find just the right thing!!
have fun and dance the night away!
Thanks Fawnie. I am very interested in the ketsugo gel. I will trying to find a store where I can buy it from. Hopefully, this will put an end to my ever oily skin!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote: Originally Posted by shre87

why don't you try out a good compact... they generally take away oil from your skin keeping it dry and fresh pick up some good brands available in the market...my latest favourite is Maybelline whitestay uv ... Also compact are easier and quicker to apply... so they save a lot of time especially if have any urgent meetings or parties to attend

I've used mac studio fix and many other powder compact but they seem to leave my skin greasy after a while as I've oily skin. I am still on the search of the ideal foundation for my skin type..

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
If you google "powder foundation for oily skin" it should give you some options too. But I think a good primer should let you wear any foundation without too much oily breakthru. Those blotting papers are nice for touch up rather than applying more powder and getting cakey. Shiseido makes good ones for oily skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you google "powder foundation for oily skin" it should give you some options too. But I think a good primer should let you wear any foundation without too much oily breakthru. Those blotting papers are nice for touch up rather than applying more powder and getting cakey. Shiseido makes good ones for oily skin.
Thanks Fawnie. which primer brands would you advise for oily/combo skin types? I know you have a gr8 knowledge abt make-ups and skin care products!

Thanks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have oily/combo skin too...my tzone can be pretty bad at times. I use Estee Lauder double wear, its a liquid foundation, you may find this too heavy though. I've been using it for ages and it gives excellent coverage and because I get a very matte finish with it I find my tzone is usually under control.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have oily/combo skin too...my tzone can be pretty bad at times. I use Estee Lauder double wear, its a liquid foundation, you may find this too heavy though. I've been using it for ages and it gives excellent coverage and because I get a very matte finish with it I find my tzone is usually under control.
Hi Justlooking,

thanks for ur reply. really appreciate it
I've been thinking abt estee lauder double wear powder instead of the liquid foundation as I have heard liquid foundations are not very suitable for oily skins. Have had a bad experience with liquid make-ups from the past as they all make my skin greasy and shiny looking. Hav u tried the estee lauder powder?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I tend to use liquid as I find they give the best coverage. I have used chanel, Bobby Brown and Mac in the past. However they have not been great for my oily skin. But I really like Estee and find I don't get that oily look I do with other foundations. I haven't tried the estee lauder powder purely because I figured the coverage wouldnt be that great but if its anything like the liquid (and its double wear) it sounds like it would be a good option. What exfoliator do you use? I use MD Formulation face and body scrub and find that it helps to keep some of my oiliness at bay. I know this isn't a good thing but it sometimes feels like it drys my skin a little, but as I have oily skin that works great for me.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tend to use liquid as I find they give the best coverage. I have used chanel, Bobby Brown and Mac in the past. However they have not been great for my oily skin. But I really like Estee and find I don't get that oily look I do with other foundations. I haven't tried the estee lauder powder purely because I figured the coverage wouldnt be that great but if its anything like the liquid (and its double wear) it sounds like it would be a good option. What exfoliator do you use? I use MD Formulation face and body scrub and find that it helps to keep some of my oiliness at bay. I know this isn't a good thing but it sometimes feels like it drys my skin a little, but as I have oily skin that works great for me.
I've used Mac too but the studio fix powder seems to oxidize after a few hours of wearing. Thanks for your help on Estee Lauder. It will definitely try it now starting with the double wear powder-- if it doesn't give me good coverage, I will then go for the liquid.
I have just started using NO7 exfoliante and I am liking it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I used MAC Studio Fix powder for a while but it DID break me out. I went on the hunt and found my perfect foundation:

Makeup Forever Duo Mat Powder Foundation

I got it at Sephora and it causes no breakouts, helps my oiliness and does not oxidize. I am VERY oily btw.

I know some people have had good luck with Revlon Colorstay but it is a liquid and I prefer the ease of a powder foundation, it takes me no time at all to apply!

Oh, and don't even get me started on Bare Minerals. That stuff turns into mud on my face once the oiliness kicks in. Also, the bismuth oxychloride makes my face itch. Oh and to top it all off, the last thing a person with oily skin needs is shine added to their foundation to make them look shinier. I see pictures from when I used to wear BM and it looks like I just got off a 12 hours shift on fryer duty at McDonalds.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used MAC Studio Fix powder for a while but it DID break me out. I went on the hunt and found my perfect foundation:

Makeup Forever Duo Mat Powder Foundation

I got it at Sephora and it causes no breakouts, helps my oiliness and does not oxidize. I am VERY oily btw.

I know some people have had good luck with Revlon Colorstay but it is a liquid and I prefer the ease of a powder foundation, it takes me no time at all to apply!

Oh, and don't even get me started on Bare Minerals. That stuff turns into mud on my face once the oiliness kicks in. Also, the bismuth oxychloride makes my face itch. Oh and to top it all off, the last thing a person with oily skin needs is shine added to their foundation to make them look shinier. I see pictures from when I used to wear BM and it looks like I just got off a 12 hours shift on fryer duty at McDonalds.
Thanks for your helpful reply, Vananners. I wil look into the makeup forever foundation you recommended but I am nt too sure if it is available in the UK. . it seens to be just the product I am after as my skin can get very oily at times. I was experiencing same prob with BE. It made my face all shiny. I am nt too fond of liquid foundations myself as they seem to slide off my face and make my skin oilier! I prefer the ease of powder foundation as it is easy n quick to apply.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts