Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that using a protein treatment is very good for the hair. Therefore, I was wondering what are some good protein treatments for hair?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Protein is great for your hair, but if overused it can make your hair brittle. Incorporate it into your haircare routine by adding a weekly mask or something similar.

hairfinder.com/hair3/protein-treatments.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
I forgot to add the recs...

my favorite mask is kerastase's masquintiense (Masquintense For Thick Hair | KÃa9rastase Paris | Concentrated Nourishing Treatment for Thick, Very Dry and Sensitized Hair)

there are other great treatments that I have heard people rave about:
joico's K-pak treatments (they usually have free samples from their website)

aveda's damage remedy

pureology's nanoworks restorative treatment

Aphogge intensive keratin treatment

Redkin Extreme Rescue

infusium 23

Look for things that have keratin or proteins as a main ingredient.

·
Registered
36 Posts
^^^ all those things are good for protein.. You can go to any beauty hair supply and get these. I am an african american and I have apl hairline and next relaxer I should be a bra strap line. At times, it good to use protein because it strenghts the hair. I recently been searching on better ways to take care of my hair. I suggest rotating protein and moisture for yoru hair. IF you use too much protein it will cause your hair to be brittle and dry. I am a product junkie and have all sorts of products. HTH

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I find the winter to be really harsh on my hair, so this year I decided to use a protein conditioner in the hope of minimizing breakage. I am using a product called "GPB (glycogen protein balancing) Conditioner" by Aubrey Organics - which is 100% natural ingredients. Once a week seems to be enough for me.

It's funny, though, and I get a good laugh whenever I use it.
The bottle says "shake well before using" - which really is impossible because it is so very thick. Now that the bottle is half-empty, I can shake it and shift the contents abit, but it's really not reblending the product at all.

I guess I can add some water to it to facilitate it, but this would ruin the nice consistency, so I haven't done so, yet anyway.

But it's a good product and I will definitely buy it again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Kissdaski
What products do you use to rotate protein and moisture? Thanks!
Girl, There are many things I use.

Moisture: kerakare humerito, neautrogena triple moisture, creme of nature moisturing conditioner with olive/jojoba oil, silkelement olive oil/mayo
Protein: aphogee the hard protein, aphogee keratin, mizani(it's a light protein/moisture), Organic root stimulator hair mayonnaise(light protein), mane n tail(protein).

I have lots of stuff...its just I cant think of it off hand. I'm not too big on protein. I use it once a month I think sometimes 2. Just depends. I'm more of a moisture girl. What do you use in your hair?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I heard that using a protein treatment is very good for the hair. Therefore, I was wondering what are some good protein treatments for hair?
Hi Voodler,

Egg masks usually make good protein treatments for hair. And what more they r simple, cheap and easy to make.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Wow V! You are the Hair Queen!!

You aren't kidding you use a lot of products! I should talk - my cabinet is stocked with stuff....

I like Kerastase Nectar Thermique for my ends that get fried with ironing. It's a leave-in protectant and has protein, so I don't like to use it all the time. When I don't iron I just use a rinse out conditioner like Fekkai MORE for thinning hair. Still has protein tho. I have a spray-on conditioner with orange oil and vinegar that is lightweight when I don't feel like going to all the trouble. JF Lazartique makes it. I like their products, but kinda spendy.

Would Neutrogena Triple Moisture be a good one to alternate with so I'm not overusing the protein and drying out my hair further?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kerastase; Kiehl's and Fudge. They have good protein treatments. But if ur on the budget, use eggs. Egg is good for conditioning hair. And make sure you wash it out with coldwater!!!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hi Voodler,

Egg masks usually make good protein treatments for hair. And what more they r simple, cheap and easy to make.
Pumi - is there a recipe for the egg mask that you prefer? I see a few different variations on the web.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well I found a good protein treatment. I caused my hair to break with foils, so had to go into damage control. Recently found joico K-Pak Deep penetrating complex for damaged hair, was a big fan of Redken PPT s-77 and extreme, what a difference.

...PPT is usually used as a moisturizing deep reconstructive treatment. Cat is sprayed on, and left on for 3 to 5 mins. and then rinsed out. PPT S-77 works best when covered and heated under a dryer. Joico products , the proteins in Joico are basically the same proteins your hair is made up of... Human hair protein vs chemical or vegetable proteins . Most proteins are really too large to actually go inside the shaft, so, they make the hair feel better by coating and filling in the cuticle, while Joico's quadramine complex(human hair protein) goes to the center of the hair strand and bonds to it, rebuilding the hair from the inside out.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi - is there a recipe for the egg mask that you prefer? I see a few different variations on the web.
Sorry for late reply , Mirecka. I have just seen your question.

An easy egg mask is to mix 2 eggs with 4 tablespoon of olive oil or your regular hair oil and apply to hair. Then put a plastic cap on your head and leave for 30mins. Then shampoo and condition as usual.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Good one Pumi, I do that one too however I add a tablespoon of Mayonaise, and any hand cream with keratine in it. Sometimes i switch over from Olive oil to Coconut oil there doesn't seem to a difference but the coconut seems to be easier to rinse out.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Good one Pumi, I do that one too however I add a tablespoon of Mayonaise, and any hand cream with keratine in it. Sometimes i switch over from Olive oil to Coconut oil there doesn't seem to a difference but the coconut seems to be easier to rinse out.
Thanks for sharing, Mony. For me, I find the coconut oil a bit hard to rinse out. I prefer olive oil and almond oil as they wash out easily.

By any chance, do you have any recipe to make hair shiny?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Well with my poker straight hair ....but of course LOL! I sometimes rince my hair with Apple Cider vinegar. My grandomther taught me that one. I don't why it works but it does. Maybe it strips away all the gunk left on my hair from conditionners and shampoos but for me it works and the best part.....for pennies. BUt what else I use for that Tail and mane ( for horses) Have you ever seen a show horse with an ugly mane or tail? Nope and it is a spray so go easy on it. It's pretty cheap too I think it's only 3 or 4 $. But it's great, and it detangles the hair too!- hope that helps you out.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well with my poker straight hair ....but of course LOL! I sometimes rince my hair with Apple Cider vinegar. My grandomther taught me that one. I don't why it works but it does. Maybe it strips away all the gunk left on my hair from conditionners and shampoos but for me it works and the best part.....for pennies. BUt what else I use for that Tail and mane ( for horses) Have you ever seen a show horse with an ugly mane or tail? Nope and it is a spray so go easy on it. It's pretty cheap too I think it's only 3 or 4 $. But it's great, and it detangles the hair too!- hope that helps you out.
Thanks for your helpful reply, Mony. I have tried mixing some apple cider vinegar into my conditioner but then the conditioner smelt really bad!
Used it a few times only and then threw the bottle away. I will try the cider vinegar rinse coz haven't done that yet. Do you have to shampoo, condition then rinse hair with some vinegar and leave the vinegar on or rinse it with cold water??

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Mirecka : on the egg mask recipe, please rinse hair with cold water and not warm/hot water as hot or warm water will only cook the egg in your hair and it will be hard to remove!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts