Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am a skeptic but am so ashamed of my melasma , that I have had for 17 years that I was finally willing to try any reasonably priced options. I find myself avoiding the mirror, keeping my hairstyle covering my cheeks and shying away from sports that involve any sun.

SO this summer...I tried the grapefruit seed extract and have been taking 300 units of vitamin c. daily. It is a nasty tasting liquid , 15 drops in a glass of water twice a day. It has been 2 months and I am noticing a change on my face. Far less mottling and the hyperpigmentation that remains is getting fainter and fainter every week. Not an overnight cure, but impressive if you stick with it. The bottle of extract was about 20 dollars and lasted me 2 months.

This is AMAZING! What is really convincing to me is a large scar I have on my leg, which does not bother me , but what does is the pattern of hair follicles...tiny dots within the scar that highlight another problem of mine - hairy legs. Of course the hair is completely gone from this area so only the dark dots remained , but now.. this is hard to believe....the scar is barely visible as are the darks areas that used to be hair follicles.

I am in the medical field and usually just take a daily vitamin, plus D in the winter. Homeopathic cures have never interested me, but now I am a true believer that the only way to tackle melasma is from within. Whatever the grapefruit seed extract targets, it is making me happy and more confident in my appearance.

I hope others can benefit from this news!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Where did you find the grapefruit seed extract that is ok to drink? Do you think the combination of the Vit C and the grapefruit seed extract is what is working. Or did you always take the Vit C?

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Thanks marie!! Do you drink it everyday too?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Counter-Indicators and Warnings
In much the same way that synthetic antibiotics can kill off the naturally occurring flora which exists in one's body, so might Grapefruit seed extract. Consequently, if this herb is to be used long-term in the treatment of a chronic infection, supplemental acidophilus may need to be taken.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I have read that as well..about the acidopolous, with the grapefruit seed extract, but have not started to take that as of yet. May start soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I finally found a place that sells it in liquid form! OP, do you start of with small doses and then work your way up, as the bottle i have suggests you use 2 drops twice a day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I finally found a place that sells it in liquid form! OP, do you start of with small doses and then work your way up, as the bottle i have suggests you use 2 drops twice a day.
Hi HappyEm,

I am using the Nutribiotic brand. I take 20 drops 3 to 5 times a day, in a glass of water.

Cheers,
Gigi

·
Registered
84 Posts
I forgot to add that some people do start slow, and work there way up to a larger dose. I just take the 20 drops 3 to 5 times/day, and I have always followed this dosing regime from the beginning.

TC,
G

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi HappyEm,

I am using the Nutribiotic brand. I take 20 drops 3 to 5 times a day, in a glass of water.

Cheers,
Gigi
Hey, how long did it take before you started to notice the changes?

As for the Vit c, are you guys taking it in pill form, powder, or juice?

·
Registered
53 Posts
As anyone from the uk tried this please? If yes where did you buy it from? Did it work?
Thanks.
I got mine from Healthy Living, although originally i buy most of my products from Holland and Barretts, however they only had it in tablet form rather than liquid. The one i have at the moment is the Higher Nature brand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks happyem.
What are the results like for you?
Im willing to try anything!
Well I stopped taking it after a couple of days, because it leaves this awful taste in your mouth. However, I've started to use msm powder again, which is making a difference already, hopefully when I combine the two, the results will be quicker.

Those using GSE, what do you take it with? I need something to disguise the taste, I tried it with water but it leaves this bitter taste.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
does anyone knw what topical application would do? and has anyone tried it in a serum or some such?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi both,

I started taking 4 drops in a cup of water or orange juice once a day to begin with. I just started taking 4 drops twice a day this week. It tastes really awful so it is not the easiest treatment to bear.

I should also note that I started using it at the same time as taking large doses of Vitamin C - i.e. 3500mg twice a day. So it could be the vitamin C that is to thank for the melasma fading.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts