Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I was reading about different beauty questions, and there was one on oily skin:

Why is my face so shiny?

If you are also losing hair and have stopped getting your period, a hormonal imbalance could be the culprit, and you should see your doctor. If not, your skin is just oversensitive to your male hormones (we all have them) - and this is triggering the production of excess oil. Another possibility: a too-harsh cleansing routine (some of you have written to us saying you use rubbing alcohol to nix shine!). Many derms believe that alcohol-based toners and gritty scrubs can overdry and irritate your skin and make it produce extra oil to compensate, says Doris J. Day, M.D.

The fix: Your best bet is to regulate oil without overdrying your skin. So in the morning, wash your face with an oil-free lotion cleanser, then rub on an alcohol-free toner. (Try Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin and Bath & Body Works Bio Face Oil-Control Facial Toner.) Top with the OTC oil-absorbing gel Clinac OC. Sop up shiny spots throughout the day with blotting papers. (Try Hard Candy Shiny Sheets.) Repeat your A.M. routine - minus the gel - before bed. If you continue to shine, ask your dermatologist about Retin-A Micro. Less irritating than regular Retin-A, this prescription cream was created to treat acne but has also been proven effective against oiliness.

I got the article from WebMD.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
But you have to moisturize your face because as you said, too much washing can cause it to produce excess oil but even if you don't over wash and don't moisturize the skin will produce oil because you washed it. so the best thing to do is to put oil free moisturizer, one that is for oily skin and to apply less in the t-zone and more in the rest of the face and neck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts