Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a 45 year old guy. I've always been of the mentality that no one is going to look after my health or the condition of my skin other than myself, so I kind of take it seriously.

I worked in excess of 10 years (in an administrative capacity) for cosmetic surgeons, dermatologists, as well as a firm that did laser hair removal (in conjunction with laser treatments for various skin conditions). While I'm changing direction career wise, my years spent in the aesthetic industry has proved to be invaluable, and definitely a learning process in maintaining good skin. Along the way, I managed to try numerous products from various ranges and have had treatments ranging from glycolic peels, TCA peels, in house facials, microdermabrasion, sclerotherapy, dermal fillers and...oh well, you get the general idea.

I suppose the time I've invested in looking after my skin has paid off in one respect - people generally assume I'm in my early 30's at the most

Of course, there's so many innovations in skin care it's a task keeping abreast of them all!

Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi" and am hoping I fit in here!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Welcome- maybe you could help some of us/me look 30-
what procedure do you think you would get your best bang for your buck?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI and welcome! You most definitely fit in here! Tell us what products and procedures you recommend and why!
Well, some of my "must have" products include NV Perricone High Potency Face Firming Activator, SkinCeutical Hydra B5 Serum and Sun Sense SPF 60 tinted sunscreen (the best sunscreen ever, after application it goes matt and doesn't go "chalky" like most high end sunscreens).

If I could afford it, I'd get the entire Perricone range, LOL, but as a dermatologist I used to work for me once said (and this is kind of an industry secret), RoC products are like Perricone's diffusion range as they are made by the same people. RoC do this "4 in 1" cleanser that cleanses, tones, moisturises and something else I can't quite remember, but it's great for bedtime if you're too lazy/wiped to use 3 or more products (although I ALWAYS make sure to apply the B5 serum).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome- maybe you could help some of us/me look 30-
what procedure do you think you would get your best bang for your buck?
In short? A series of glycolic peels, the Sun Sense 60 SPF sunscreen I mentioned in my above post and drinking water, water and more water

Glycolics really kick start the skin. If you can find it online, look for DCL GLYCOLIC ACID PADS 20% . You use them twice a week after cleansing, they're a "mini peel" treatment you can do at home.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
So what are your thoughts on Vitamin C serums?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what are your thoughts on Vitamin C serums?
Highly recommend them, especially if you've been exposed to sun/environmental damage. I was never a sunbather but as a result of my childhood exposure to the sun, it was highlighted when I had photo imaging of my skin and the UNDERLYING damage was
I embarked upon a series of TCA peels and afterwards used a C - Ester serum. A year later I had the photoimaging done again and the condition of my skin improved by leaps and bounds!

The reason I switched to the B5 serum is that my skin is classic "combination" and I needed hydration as opposed to moisturising, and I didn't want to overload my skin with TWO serums (as I am prone to oiliness). Suffice it to say, I take a C-Ester vitamin supplement.

Speaking of supplements, I also take hylauronic acid, ALA and collagen supplements - I can't recommend these enough

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And how do you feel about facial exercise/massage?
I wish I could implement a regime of facial excercise, admittedly, I'm a bit remiss in doing so.

I absolutely believe in facial massage though - I have a Dermalogica facial/massage every 6 or so weeks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What are your thoughts about retin-a (tretinoin)?
I've used it off and on the past 5 years and it's worked wonders for me. I usually use it for 6 months and stop for another 6. While I was having agressive peels I stop using it, as Retin A thins the skin out and along with the peels, I was wary of overdoing it in those terms. Overall though, I found it enhanced the quality of my skin and I shall probably embark on another course come the winter (I never use it during spring or summer, for fear of hyper/hypo pigmentation)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, thank you everyone for the welcomes and the barrage of questions, LOL. I think I'm definitely going to like it here

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Highly recommend them, especially if you've been exposed to sun/environmental damage. I was never a sunbather but as a result of my childhood exposure to the sun, it was highlighted when I had photo imaging of my skin and the UNDERLYING damage was
I embarked upon a series of TCA peels and afterwards used a C - Ester serum. A year later I had the photoimaging done again and the condition of my skin improved by leaps and bounds!

The reason I switched to the B5 serum is that my skin is classic "combination" and I needed hydration as opposed to moisturising, and I didn't want to overload my skin with TWO serums (as I am prone to oiliness). Suffice it to say, I take a C-Ester vitamin supplement.

Speaking of supplements, I also take hylauronic acid, ALA and collagen supplements - I can't recommend these enough
I take all three of those supplements, along with a load more.

I like the B5 serum too. I used it a lot when I was on Accutane. It saved me through some of my rough times.

I am very faithful to Vit C serum (most of us here make our own) and I use Retin A every other night. I also do AHA/BHA peel once a week and in the Fall/Winter do TCA peels.

Thanks for your input-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've used it off and on the past 5 years and it's worked wonders for me. I usually use it for 6 months and stop for another 6. While I was having agressive peels I stop using it, as Retin A thins the skin out and along with the peels, I was wary of overdoing it in those terms. Overall though, I found it enhanced the quality of my skin and I shall probably embark on another course come the winter (I never use it during spring or summer, for fear of hyper/hypo pigmentation)
A quality sunscreen with a high spf/ppd level (preferably one with either the mexoryls or tinosorbs) should allow you to use tretinoin during the spring/summer without worries of hyper/hypo pigmentation. I've been using it year round for well over 10 years.

As far as thinning of the skin, Retin-A thins the outer epidermis...the layer that is constantly shedding. Retin-A increases the shedding and cell turnover rate, thereby thinning the outer surface, but it thickens the dermis. This is a good thing indeed. As the inner layers swell outward, the outer layers are slightly stretched which reduces wrinkles.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Howdy there Bucpaul. I have been doing the glycolic peels now for 2 years. It truly transformed my highly sun damaged skin from my childhood in the Florida sun without sunscreen! Just recently I found the courage to try TCA and I am so glad I did. Wanted to say welcome and your input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way, I've been navigating this site and I noticed a few times that some posters have been accused of spamming (correctly or incorrectly, who am I to say?) by regularly namechecking products.

I just wanted to say that if I am totally in love with a product or range and seem to be blithering on incessantly about it, rest assured, it's not because I'm working for any of these places (oh, I wish - what I wouldn't give for a decent staff discount in this current economic climate!) or spamming, it's simply because I love the product or range and feel compulsed to share

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
By the way, I've been navigating this site and I noticed a few times that some posters have been accused of spamming (correctly or incorrectly, who am I to say?) by regularly namechecking products.

I just wanted to say that if I am totally in love with a product or range and seem to be blithering on incessantly about it, rest assured, it's not because I'm working for any of these places (oh, I wish - what I wouldn't give for a decent staff discount in this current economic climate!) or spamming, it's simply because I love the product or range and feel compulsed to share
Your cool.

Skin Care Talk - Announcements in Forum : Basic Skin Care

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi BCUPAUL, So nice to have you on board! and you wanted to try and fit in here? I think you fit in just fine - already bombarded with questions. It's great to have you here! Please don't be shy and let us know what you think may interest us. We are all interested in better skin care, and how to achieve results, with or without "going under the knife!" Have any ideas about stretchmaks?...maybe?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts