Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a layer cut in Jan 2009 in a parlor as I was bored of my regular hairstyle. My medium length hair was cut short till my shoulder level. In April2009 I got it highlighted and colored, as the color faded, I got it colored again 2weeks back. I dont have dandruff or hair loss problem, nor do I suffer hypertension.

Im 25years old. I follow a healthy diet and lifestyle. My problem is since past 8months my hair has not grown at all. Its the same length as it was since I had the layercut done. My friends who got the same style done with me, have great hair growth but mine stopped. Despite oily hair, I do oil my hair before shampoo and I use only sunsilk shampoo and conditioner [both in pink]. Please help me, this is really worrying me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here are some basic hair growing tips I can give you:

Don't brush your hair excessively... EVER! I know you said you have a healthy diet but hair needs extra nutrients. It's important to drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruits and veggies, lots of protein, salmon is an especially good choice, as well as eggs. Also nuts are very good and sea vegetables. Kelp, nori, etc. Sesame seeds are good for hair growth too. Don't shampoo your hair very often at all. Remove product build up that blocks your hair follicle and inhibits hair growth with organic apple cider vinegar rinses. Try using a great oil for hair and make your hair more managable and your roots more strong with brahmi oil, katika oil, or camellia oil (from Japan). Deep condition your hair once a week. You also might like to try making a hair stimulating spray that you can spray at the roots and massage. Take peppermint oil and dilute with water to make you spray. this stimulate the cells for optimal hair growth.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Here are some basic hair growing tips I can give you:

Don't brush your hair excessively... EVER! I know you said you have a healthy diet but hair needs extra nutrients. It's important to drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruits and veggies, lots of protein, salmon is an especially good choice, as well as eggs. Also nuts are very good and sea vegetables. Kelp, nori, etc. Sesame seeds are good for hair growth too. Don't shampoo your hair very often at all. Remove product build up that blocks your hair follicle and inhibits hair growth with organic apple cider vinegar rinses. Try using a great oil for hair and make your hair more managable and your roots more strong with brahmi oil, katika oil, or camellia oil (from Japan). Deep condition your hair once a week. You also might like to try making a hair stimulating spray that you can spray at the roots and massage. Take peppermint oil and dilute with water to make you spray. this stimulate the cells for optimal hair growth.
Good tips, PoisonIvy. I would like to also add massaging hair and scalp with any hair oil mixed with a few drops of lavender oil do help promote hair growth.

I have got the same prob at the mo. Had a hair cut abt 2-3months ago but my hair is taking time to grow back unfortunately.
Sometimes my hair grows pretty fast but sometimes pretty slow. I guess it depends on our general lifestyle , bad diet , the levels of stress we faced daily, maybe we are just using the wrong hair products or simply we are over-washing our hair esp in my case the hard water available where I live is not too good for my hair!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I added spirulina supplement to my morning bunch that I take about a year ago. It has helped the overall health of my hair, including growth. It doesn't grow like crazy; just regular steady healthy growth. Also, added B Complex supplement about 2 months ago and noticed a decrease in shedding. I obviously wasn't getting enough B vitamins before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is gonna sound wacko but bear with me... I have had the same problem most of my life I fell like and tell everyone my hair NEVER grows. I only had to get it colored about every 10 weeks where my stylist would see he other clients every 5-6 and she knew not to cut anything but the split ends off.

Go to your local drug store and buy Prenatal vitamins and take them as directed.

It worked wonders for me, I promise! There are no side effects! You wont gain weight or anything else you probably wont notice much of a difference but your hair and nails will grow like crazy. -Prenatal vitamins are not special "pregnant" or "baby" vitamins like many think they are simply a little pill PACKED with vitamins most people miss on a daily basis, and when pregnant you obviously don't want to slack on the vit's but many avoid essential foods like fish. Try it, they're somewhat inexpensive and they changed my life.

P.S.
If you dont already have some pick up a good pair of nail trimmers while @ the drug store, I have to do mine every week but im ok with that as long and my hair keeps growing!

·
Registered
77 Posts
ALMOST FORGOT!

SunSilk is really harsh on your hair.
If your hair is as important as it seems spend a little extra $$$ on your shampoo and conditioner and skimp somewhere else (I do my own pedi's so I can buy pricey haircare).

Pureology is great for hair that could use some help I cant remember the exact name but the Pink bottles are the line I like. They have something for every kind of hair. If thats still too expensive Pantene Pro-V is a good line, use a "moisturizing" shampoo & conditioner. NEVER use anything "volumizing" or "color saving" because they dry out our strands and leave cuticles open.

&&& dont pay salon price, you or a friend HAS to know someone with a cosmetology license, have them pick up the Pureology for you @ the beauty supply you'll pay about 1/2 the price you would in a salon.

WORST CASE SCENARIO - - they sell it @ RiteAid

Hope That Helps, Good Luck To You.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Go to your local drug store and buy Prenatal vitamins and take them as directed.

Someone else said that to me too!! I remember *way back when* I was pregnant and taking pre-natals that I felt so good that I didn't want to get off of them...definitely a sign!! Thanks for sharing this..will definitely look into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When your hair quits growing,slows down tremendously or starts shedding more than normal its a good idea to get your thyroid hormones checked. When my thyroid is low my hair (which normally grows very fast 1/2"- 1" per mo) comes to a screeching halt. When it gets worse more starts falling out. Even the texture of my hair gets finer.
I too got really concerned after getting a bad, way too short haircut that just wouldn't grow out. My doctor teased me at first saying it was a good way to save money on haircuts.

Also a few years ago even after my thyroid levels had been great for a long time, I started to shed more hair. My endocrinologist sent me to a dermatologist who specialized in thinning hair. She suggested I take 5mg (500mcg) of Biotin daily. It took about a month or so to notice a dramatic difference. When I take it my hair grows very fast, has a better texture, is less prone to breakage and my fingernails grow long and strong. I asked the doctor if I could take this long term and she said there is no reason not to, and its safe for everyone.
My daughter who has slow growing fine hair started taking it and her hair grows much faster is stronger.
I am a hair stylist and I recommend Biotin to everyone, especially those with fine, thinning hair.
I had great luck with prenatal vitamins as well but the Biotin is more dramatic.

·
Registered
679 Posts
since it was cut in layers i am guessing that it was done so well it doesn't show growth. i used to cut a guys hair and i always cut it so he wouldn't have to come back every 6 weeks. he could wait until about 3 months before he needed a haircut. my hair seems to have slowed growing also. but it is growing. stop worrying. next time you get bored if you like your hair long get your nails done instead of a haircut. speaking from personal experience.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
When your hair quits growing,slows down tremendously or starts shedding more than normal its a good idea to get your thyroid hormones checked. When my thyroid is low my hair (which normally grows very fast 1/2"- 1" per mo) comes to a screeching halt. When it gets worse more starts falling out. Even the texture of my hair gets finer.
I too got really concerned after getting a bad, way too short haircut that just wouldn't grow out. My doctor teased me at first saying it was a good way to save money on haircuts.

Also a few years ago even after my thyroid levels had been great for a long time, I started to shed more hair. My endocrinologist sent me to a dermatologist who specialized in thinning hair. She suggested I take 5mg (500mcg) of Biotin daily. It took about a month or so to notice a dramatic difference. When I take it my hair grows very fast, has a better texture, is less prone to breakage and my fingernails grow long and strong. I asked the doctor if I could take this long term and she said there is no reason not to, and its safe for everyone.
My daughter who has slow growing fine hair started taking it and her hair grows much faster is stronger.
I am a hair stylist and I recommend Biotin to everyone, especially those with fine, thinning hair.
I had great luck with prenatal vitamins as well but the Biotin is more dramatic.
I agree. 9 times out of 10 if you are shedding lots of hair it is caused by either your thyroid or your iron level. In my case it was both!! I have been taking Biotin and horsetail grass. This helped me somewhat, getting my thyroid and iron in check helped me a TON!! I recently went to the derm for my hair as well. She suggested using any type of shampoo and conditioner with zinc. So........I am doing that now too.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hey girls, I am experiencing the same prob at the mo. my hair usually grows fast but I have noticed that for some reason, the growth has slowed down. My hair is normally fine and prone to breakage. I have never checked my thyroid level. Would it help if I do? Should I just buy some hair vitamins from the pharmacy or check with my gp first? I don't knw abt my iron level as well.
Please would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i read it somewhere that taking a supplement of 250 mg of L-carnitine and at least 10 mg of CoQ10 together doubles hair n nail growth.

So far i havn't been able to find L-carnitine. Someone told me its banned in Canada.i hav yet to try GNC but if anyone of u tries it pls tell me how it works.

on a side note i hav started another supplement which has L-cystine 200 mg, horsetail 150 mg, bamboo, inositoi, vit b6 n Biotin 35 mcg. i just started it last night. if i notice any results in a couple of weeks from now will let u know.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Hey girls, I am experiencing the same prob at the mo. my hair usually grows fast but I have noticed that for some reason, the growth has slowed down. My hair is normally fine and prone to breakage. I have never checked my thyroid level. Would it help if I do? Should I just buy some hair vitamins from the pharmacy or check with my gp first? I don't knw abt my iron level as well.
Please would appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Pumi are you shedding hair or notice it is thinning? Shedding like when you wash or rinse do you have loads of hair in your hands? If yes, then forsure have your iron and your thyroid checked.

I am not sure of your age, but if you are over 35, it wouldn't hurt to have lab work done just to see where your levels are anyways. Better safe than sorry. Catch it before it catches you-

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi are you shedding hair or notice it is thinning? Shedding like when you wash or rinse do you have loads of hair in your hands? If yes, then forsure have your iron and your thyroid checked.

I am not sure of your age, but if you are over 35, it wouldn't hurt to have lab work done just to see where your levels are anyways. Better safe than sorry. Catch it before it catches you-
Thanks for your helpful reply Gymrat. Yes, unfortunately I am shedding lots of hair whenever I wash it and comb as well.
My hair looks thin and am sad to have to cut it every time. I would so love to grow thick long hair.
I would certainly have my iron and thyroid checked now. Thanks dear!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just want to confirm the advice about checking your thyroid levels - mine are out of whack and my hair falls off like crazy (which is one of the symptoms of messed up thyroid). Another personal experience I would like to add is that I've been taking Andrew Lessman's Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails for the last 4 months and noticed that my hair is growing very fast. One of my girlfriends actually commented (after seeing me for the first time in 6 months) asking me if I've used a miracle-gro for hair ..
So I would say add some supplements to help hair health - of course experiences are individual and you'll have to try different products until you find the one that works for you (since there is no one for all formula).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I just want to confirm the advice about checking your thyroid levels - mine are out of whack and my hair falls off like crazy (which is one of the symptoms of messed up thyroid). Another personal experience I would like to add is that I've been taking Andrew Lessman's Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails for the last 4 months and noticed that my hair is growing very fast. One of my girlfriends actually commented (after seeing me for the first time in 6 months) asking me if I've used a miracle-gro for hair ..
So I would say add some supplements to help hair health - of course experiences are individual and you'll have to try different products until you find the one that works for you (since there is no one for all formula).
What do you have to do to restore your thyroid level??

·
Registered
80 Posts
This is gonna sound wacko but bear with me... I have had the same problem most of my life I fell like and tell everyone my hair NEVER grows. I only had to get it colored about every 10 weeks where my stylist would see he other clients every 5-6 and she knew not to cut anything but the split ends off.

It worked wonders for me, I promise! There are no side effects! You wont gain weight or anything else you probably wont notice much of a difference but your hair and nails will grow like crazy. -Prenatal vitamins are not special "pregnant" or "baby" vitamins like many think they are simply a little pill PACKED with vitamins most people miss on a daily basis, and when pregnant you obviously don't want to slack on the vit's but many avoid essential foods like fish. Try it, they're somewhat inexpensive and they changed my life.

P.S.
If you dont already have some pick up a good pair of nail trimmers while @ the drug store, I have to do mine every week but im ok with that as long and my hair keeps growing!
what brand of prenatal vitamins do you recomment, i went to buy fish oils one time and the variety was overwhelming. i was like OMG!!!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
What do you have to do to restore your thyroid level??
I take thyroid medication every morning, it is a Rx from my Dr.

Pumi, just make an appt with your Dr, explain your concerns and they should know to run a thryoid test on you. If they don't then ask for one. Explain that your hair is shedding. Do not wait, the sooner you get it under control the better off your chances of regrowth!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts