Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I dye my hair every month and thinking of switching to a herbal hair dye to cause less damage to my already dry and damaged hair. I have seen this new hair color called " Naturtint" at my local shop. Have anyone used this before or heard of this product?

Please would love to hear ur opinions before buying.
thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's not new, it's been around a while I think, pumi.

My sister used it and quite liked it. Said it didn't smell as much as other permanent dyes. I think it contains less phenyldiamines (?) or PPD as it's known. Isn't it also ammonia-free?

I don't know why she stopped using it, but I can ask her if you want?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi,

I dye my hair every month and thinking of switching to a herbal hair dye to cause less damage to my already dry and damaged hair. I have seen this new hair color called " Naturtint" at my local shop. Have anyone used this before or heard of this product?

thanks.
My scalp was so itchy with commercial dye! and I tried Naturtint believing it will be ok, my scalp was still itchy, I beleive they switch one chemical for another one.

If you want to read why your hair is damaged & phenylenediamines
Henna for Hair

I have switch to Henna and I'm so happy but you don't have a very large palette of color with henna.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not new, it's been around a while I think, pumi.

My sister used it and quite liked it. Said it didn't smell as much as other permanent dyes. I think it contains less phenyldiamines (?) or PPD as it's known. Isn't it also ammonia-free?

I don't know why she stopped using it, but I can ask her if you want?
Thanks for your reply, Semayden. I thought Naturtint was a new hair color as I haven't seen it before. Hmmm..
Yes, it said ammonia-free on the package that was y I was interested coz I frequently color my hair. I would really appreciate if you can ask your sis y did she stop using Naturtint. This herbal hair color was like a hope for me but unfortunately it seems like it does contain other harmful chemicals too..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My scalp was so itchy with commercial dye! and I tried Naturtint believing it will be ok, my scalp was still itchy, I beleive they switch one chemical for another one.

If you want to read why your hair is damaged & phenylenediamines
Henna for Hair

I have switch to Henna and I'm so happy but you don't have a very large palette of color with henna.
Thanks for the link, Mariepop. The article is really informative esp for all those who color their hair like me! To tell the truth, I'm really scared of using chemical hair color now. I think I will try henna again. I have used henna before but it left all my greys as orange which look weird
Do you use any speficic brand of henna that make your hair red instead of orange? I have got dark brown almost black hair.

I do experience itchy scalp sometimes but I never thought the hair dyes I use may be causing them.. Unfortunately, I've to color my hair every now and then coz I have got premature greying prob. It is very hard to deal with esp wen you are still young

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pumi, Naturtint still has chemicals, can't recall which ones, it's been 2 or 3 years ago I used it. I've been using Henna for over a year now, it covers my grey, I'm coloring my hair once a month.

I know I also hate the orange effect! Good that you have dark hair, you can mixt henna with indigo to wash away the orange look, see the links

I buy my henna from : (it says Canada & US, don't know if you can order from your country)
Henna Sooq

About indigo:
Henna Sooq - Indigo

How to use indigo, it says to do henna first and then the indigo, but I'm not following this process (to long for me) I mixt henna & indigo together with one tablespoon of olive oil 'till it looks like yogurt and leaves it at least 2 hour to 3 and rinse and wash with a shampoo & conditioner that are free of chemicals.

I suggest strongly the Morroco henna, it is easy to use, all other has to be prepared well in advance (6 hours or more) before putting it on your hair and have to leave it long hours on your hair, not with Morroco.

Henna Blog Spot How to use henna and/or indigo to naturally dye your hair reddish to brown to black tones

and about itchy scalp, it's in our group I found out by using emu oil really relieves the itch! On first application my itch was gone! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pumi, Naturtint still has chemicals, can't recall which ones, it's been 2 or 3 years ago I used it. I've been using Henna for over a year now, it covers my grey, I'm coloring my hair once a month.

I know I also hate the orange effect! Good that you have dark hair, you can mixt henna with indigo to wash away the orange look, see the links

I buy my henna from : (it says Canada & US, don't know if you can order from your country)
Henna Sooq

About indigo:
Henna Sooq - Indigo

How to use indigo, it says to do henna first and then the indigo, but I'm not following this process (to long for me) I mixt henna & indigo together with one tablespoon of olive oil 'till it looks like yogurt and leaves it at least 2 hour to 3 and rinse and wash with a shampoo & conditioner that are free of chemicals.

I suggest strongly the Morroco henna, it is easy to use, all other has to be prepared well in advance (6 hours or more) before putting it on your hair and have to leave it long hours on your hair, not with Morroco.

Henna Blog Spot How to use henna and/or indigo to naturally dye your hair reddish to brown to black tones

and about itchy scalp, it's in our group I found out by using emu oil really relieves the itch! On first application my itch was gone! Good luck!
Thanks for the links and henna recommendation, Mariepop. I hate the 'orange effect' frm henna too! It's nice to know that brown / black effect can be achieved by the use of indigo. I was not aware of this. This is just gr8!
I will try searching for indigo powder here in the UK. Do you think any other henna would be as effective as moroccan henna? I am not too willing to order outside of uk due to high shipping costs.

Oh really. That's good news. I will look for emu oil then. Do you hve to mix it with another oil or use it straight frm the bottle? Recently, I have been mixing my regular hair with a few a drops of lavender oil to relieve my itchy scalp. It is effective and smell nice as well.
You can try this method too.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Your welcome Pumi, I don't know any other one, I only use Morroco henna to the recommendation of the owner of the site of henna sook. The others seem too complicated, and be careful not to buy commercial henna, you will find color that they add and of course it is very tempted to try because of the choice of colors but they put something metalic in it that I read that will damage your hair.

Understand the cost of shipping, I hope you will find something near by!

Emu oil : I use it straight from the bottle. Thanks for the tip on lavender oil, I will try next time! Loooove the smell!

About Henna some will mixt with coffee to get the brown, I did it once, coffee smell good but not all the time! it smelled for a week! even after washing my hair!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the coffee tip, Mariepop! Luckily, I have found a uk website that sells both the indigo powder and morrocan henna.

What color to do u get on your hair wen you use your henna if u don;'t mind me asking? Yes, I will definitely avoid commercial henna .

Thanks a lot for ur help.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You're welcome Pumi! The coffee was Amaretto flavour, it smells good! but I had enough of smelling it all the time! LOL

Good! You found a site, can you share the link?
My hair is brown with orange and some black reflect, shoulder lenght so I use about 1 cup of henna and 1/4 cup of indigo, once I did the half/half and I found my hair was too dark, too much black. I hope this will help you and will find the right mixt for you!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ooooh yes, it will be really more on the black side than orange! If you like your hair dark, start with half/half and you will see how dark it will get, if it's not enough next time add more indigo. If you really like your hair black, I'm sure you can only put indigo!

I see on the link you provided they have alma, I also tried it because it says it makes the hair shinny, I did not see any differences!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mariepop- when you prepare the henna mixture (morocan henna) , how long do u have to leave it to release the dye or can u use it straight away? I will start with half -half with indigo powder as I like darker colour. Last time, I dyed my hair with henna only, I looked quite funny coz my greys all went orange-- not a very nice color at all which I want to avoid!

I was quite interested with the amla as it is supposed to act like a conditioner I believe. How do u use it? Do you mix it together with the henna n indigo paste? also, I wanted to ask you, wen you apply the henna paste, does it not stain the skin? What precautions do u take coz I always have to rinse my skin immediately when this happens! Dunno y but henna seems to stain skin very quickly but takes time to colour hair strands.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pumi, I mixt Henna, indigo, Alma all together, it is recommended to let it sit for 1/2 hour, but I'm very impatient, 15 min and I use it straight away and it will color!
That is what I like about Marrocan Henna, it's quick, all the others have to sit hours (up to 12 hours, if not more) before you can put it on you hair.

Usually this orange (root too pale to compare of the rest of you hair because of white hair) is when you only using Henna, you will see by adding indigo it will cover.

After coloring you hair, if you find your roots are still too pale, you can start again by doing only your roots.

what I usually do: I start only with the roots let it sit for an hour and the second hour I put it all over my hair, if I'm not in hurry I will leave it an extra hour. Total of 3 hours. But as I said before 2 hours will suffice.

Yes it does stain the skin like commercial dye, so you will take the same precautions.
I have an old face cloth handy, and I make sure to remove around & behind my ears, forehead, before leaving your mixt for hours on your head, as you will do with commercial dye.

Did not see any difference with Alma! After coloring your hair use a shampoo & hair conditioner

Let me know the result! and I hope you will like it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi,

thanks.
I love Naturtint-good stuff, give it a try.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi Illuminara,

I checked the website and they have many and you may be right with this one: Naturtint Reflex Non Permanent Hair Color Rinse, seems not to have chemicals from what I read

I have bought: The Naturtint Permanent

ref: Naturtint, Herbatint Vegetal & Surya Hair Colours

The Naturtint Permanent colours do contain the minimum amount of ppd (p-PHENYLENEDIAMINE) necessary to make them work well and cover grey permanently. However, this is a chemical that some people with sensitive skin may react to, even though there is a lot less of it in the Naturtint ones compared to many other ranges.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They also have Surya Henna Colouring Powder and Cream it's a Natural semi-permanent hair colour, No ammonia, peroxide, PPD, heavy metals, resorcinol or parabens.

I will certainly have a look at my natural health food store and check for the small print on the box.

I'm glad Illuminara that you took time to write a note, you got me curious to go check their site!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Pumi, if you use Henna, don't use metalic utensils, I only use plastic fork to mix and also use it to put henna in my hair, and store the Henna powder in the freezer, but not the indigo powder, indigo you store it in the frig.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pumi, if you use Henna, don't use metalic utensils, I only use plastic fork to mix and also use it to put henna in my hair, and store the Henna powder in the freezer, but not the indigo powder, indigo you store it in the frig.
Thanks Mariepop. I have also read henna should nt be used in metallic bowls. Is there any specific reason for this? Noted, I will store the henna powder in the freezer and indigo in fridge as recommended. Usually, I was storing my henna in a cool dry place. Didn't know that it can go stale. Thanks for this tip.

I have to say the Surya Henna Colouring Powder and Cream seems tempting. I will have a look at my local health shop too. Thanks for the link.

I will definitely keep you posted on how the henna and indigo work for me.

Thanks for all ur help. Really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts