Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been using ProActive for about 4 years now. I had tried everything OTC and nothing worked. I didn't have a problem with acne when I was in high school, the trouble seemed to start after I turned 24 or so. I went to the doctor and he put me on anti-biotics which absolutely did nothing for me but kill all the good stuff that was keeping me from getting cold sores (another issue I had when I was MUCH younger). I had 2 cold sores within a month when I hadn't had that issue for years. The doctor wanted me to take them for 3 months and I only made it for a month before I gave up on that.

My acne was mostly in my chin area and in my T zone. I have REALLY oily skin in the T zone. I was at my wits end when I tried ProActive. I used the cleanser, toner and moisturizer for the first couple of years, but now I am just down to the cleanser. ProActive has a scrub in the cleanser. You may read other posts that say don't use any scrub. My face always has been able to take a scrub and a scrub is the only thing that whips it into shape. I guess maybe my over oiliness compensates?? IDK but ProActive is the only thing that keeps it clear.

I would try the entire kit first to see what you like. They have an AWESOME face mask, too. My daughter (17) doesn't use ProActive but uses the mask on her pimples. You can just order the cleanser. I am on an auto-delivery plan through QVC and it is $12.00 a month and I recieve a bottle every other month. I think another key thing with the cleanser is I scrub for 2 minutes!! Don't skimp on the time you leave it on your face. In the shower I actually wash my face after my hair and leave the ProActive on my face the same amount of time I leave my conditioner in my hair while I finish my shower.

This has saved my face. It may not work for you but give it a try, I would say at least 2 months before you will know for sure.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, I tried it. I felt it was kinda drying but it did seem to lessen the occurance of my random breakouts. I only used it for a brief time. I know some people it clears them up then it stops working, that happened to my sister. Or for some it's too harsh. I think you should give it a shot. If you have mild acne, the cleanser may be all you need.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used it and I ended up with painful cysts and nodules. I apparently was using too much of the product (like I had to reduce the amount I squeezed out with when I washed my face even though I didn't really us a lot to begin with) when I reduced how much I used that helped. It worked on the second go but I still didn't like it...still too harsh.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I tried it last year, I got it as a christmas gift- I guess DH was tired of looking at my cystic acnee. IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ME! it was a waste of time, money and it was one heck of an embarassement to unwrap under the tree.. For me it reallly did not work.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I tried it last year, I got it as a christmas gift- I guess DH was tired of looking at my cystic acnee. IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ME! it was a waste of time, money and it was one heck of an embarassement to unwrap under the tree.. For me it reallly did not work.
Is it wrong for me to
? I just think it's funny how you said it was an embarassment. Maybe you should get a derm if you still have cystic acne..

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
No actually I am acnee free now- did it myself by hit and miss approach! I started doing at home dermabrassions- best thing I ever did to myself, it got rid of the cystic acnee made the scars a lot less noticeable and made some of my wrinkles almost none existent. But yes getting that as a christmas gift from DH (that I found out later his Bee Hive of a mother suggested) was hurtful and very nasty... But what to expect when DH's family - sisters can afford 3-4 a month at the spas, or on implants or lypo. They all look like generic barbie dolls same hair colour, same length, smae cosmetics....lie they all want to be twins or something weird along that line. I'm the odd ball whom doesn't get my hair done in platnum, or get my nails done.... Let me guess this christmas I get ..... my hair done to match theirs?......I darn well doupt that!!!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
No actually I am acnee free now- did it myself by hit and miss approach! I started doing at home dermabrassions- best thing I ever did to myself, it got rid of the cystic acnee made the scars a lot less noticeable and made some of my wrinkles almost none existent. But yes getting that as a christmas gift from DH (that I found out later his Bee Hive of a mother suggested) was hurtful and very nasty... But what to expect when DH's family - sisters can afford 3-4 a month at the spas, or on implants or lypo. They all look like generic barbie dolls same hair colour, same length, smae cosmetics....lie they all want to be twins or something weird along that line. I'm the odd ball whom doesn't get my hair done in platnum, or get my nails done.... Let me guess this christmas I get ..... my hair done to match theirs?......I darn well doupt that!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, that is an embarassing present to give. I would be mad and sad. But that's cool that home dermabrasions was all it took. I think trial and error is the best way to come with a solution for your skin, because we all have different skin and react to certain things differently. lol, they want to make you a barbie like the, initiation.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Sorry to say....That is not going to happen- even my nails are real and not the plastic kind, my hair is a dirty dark blond and my eyes are black the total opposite of them --- and I love it that way!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried it several years ago and found it made me break out worse, may have been too strong for me. I have heard from other people that have used it, that it didn't help them either. Some said that it worked initially then stopped after a few months. Either way, in my opinion, it's a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry to say....That is not going to happen- even my nails are real and not the plastic kind, my hair is a dirty dark blond and my eyes are black the total opposite of them --- and I love it that way!
lol. That's good. A lot of people can't even accept themselves,lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried it and it didn't do anything for my skin, it didn't do a thing for the acne I had when I started using it.
Once I stopped I started using the "That's Deep" Cleanser from Mark by Avon and it worked amazingly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Proactiv has the right idea with their Repairing Lotion. Benzoyl Peroxide at 2.5% will be effective for most people... When I switched to Proactiv, I saw an improvement, but I still suffered from mild acne. Looking back, I think this was a result of their cleanser which is much too abrasive. And their toner is worthless.

My suggestion is to look at acne.org. Their lotion is the EXACT same thing as Proactiv -- only it's double the size for half the price. So that's four times the value. Their cleanser is wonderful too -- gentle, non-abrasive. Now, I have people telling me how beautiful my skin is, something that I would have never thought could happen five years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made a one or two month supply of the cleanser last about a year -- I wouldn't use it every night (it had a drying effect), but just on occasions of breakouts that needed to be quelled. It really nipped them in the bud! I would use a little of the lotion on the area at night, just when they began to appear. After a few days I would let my face alone and go back to ordinary gentle cleansing to give my skin a chance to repair itself (repeated applications of the products actually seemed to slow the healing process). This worked very well, but I agree that the cleanser is a little harsh, though effective. Used in moderation, it works. I never used the toner (mostly witchhazel i think) much at all, but the mask seemed great for spot treatments at night.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh and by "great", I mean the mask works just a bit better than the best thing I've found in the drugstore. The effects are fairly short-lived of course!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
personally in my opinion, i dislike proactive. i used it almost 13 years ago, and i feel it made my mild acne to severe. it did not work at all. i cleared up my acne with the dermatologist who helped me find the right creams that worked for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used proactive and it didn't work for me. I went from a few pimples to having them get much wrose and spread turing into ance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts