Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was up at 3 a.m. still..... I was looking at sorts of sites and found something interesting according to Leslie Baumann MD:

Rose water is a by-product of the steam distillation process by which rose oil is obtained from the flower's petals, primarily for perfume. As a cosmetic product, it has been used as a gentle astringent and anti-inflammatory for centuries. Better yet, it is an excellent gentle option for anyone with dry, sensitive skin, as recent studies have demonstrated that rose water does not have any drying effect on the skin.

So, is there anything to the claim that rose water is good for your skin? According to several studies, yes! Recent clinical research conducted in Japan found that the extract L. Rose can significantly reduce the damage to skin's elastin fibers, and associated wrinkling, caused by UVB rays.

Has anyone ever tried it? Heck I have a bottle but I use it to make Langue de chat cookies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Mony,

I had a bottle of Rose water which I used as a toner. It felt nice, I had Rose Damask (Rose Otto) water, which has a bit honey-like smell, and only thing I would say that it smelled quite strong on my face, like a bit weird sweet..? My boyfriend noticed aswell
I was a bit suprised because it smells so nice from the bottle..

I didn't notice any remarkable difference on the skin condition, but maybe I didn't use it long enough. It might be really nice for dry and sensitive skin for soothing, but my skin is a different story

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will try it for a while, can it hurt the cause? Gosh I hope not. If it can help with the sags and sun damage heck......I've got about 20 rose bushes out back! And they say rose hips are really high in Vitamine C. so yep think I will give it a whirl.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi Mony,

I had a bottle of Rose water which I used as a toner. It felt nice, I had Rose Damask (Rose Otto) water, which has a bit honey-like smell, and only thing I would say that it smelled quite strong on my face, like a bit weird sweet..? My boyfriend noticed aswell
I was a bit suprised because it smells so nice from the bottle..

I didn't notice any remarkable difference on the skin condition, but maybe I didn't use it long enough. It might be really nice for dry and sensitive skin for soothing, but my skin is a different story
I've been using rose water as a toner for the last couple of months. I have to say I really like it as it is so cooling and smell nice too though a bit strong for my taste.

I have not seen any difference to my skin as well. Maybe the 2months is not enough to see any significant difference and I should wait for longer. Also, I find rose water suitable for my oily skin and very refreshing.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is good cause the "good Lord" has blessed me with Combo skin! and it is supposedly good for for dry and oil skin types. I figure it can't hurt to try it. So I will.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been using rose water as a toner for the last couple of months. I have to say I really like it as it is so cooling and smell nice too though a bit strong for my taste.

I have not seen any difference to my skin as well. Maybe the 2months is not enough to see any significant difference and I should wait for longer. Also, I find rose water suitable for my oily skin and very refreshing.
This is a bit off topic, but I made up my own perfumed toner;

100ml orange flower water
1 drop neroli
1 drop ylang ylang

I kind of accidently came up with this, but I wanted to share it because it smells absolutely divine!
And I don't wonder, apparently few of the key smells in Chanel n.5 is neroli and ylang ylang..

·
Registered
713 Posts
I just love Rose Water, we had a beautiful Egyptian patient that came to the office and she had the most exquisite skin, one day I asked what her secret is and she said Rose Water and she brought me a bottle the next time she came in. It's very soothing, moisturizing and it feels wonderful on the skin. I buy mine at Superstore for about $2.00 a bottle, it is in the foreign food section and is made in the Middle East!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think we have the same one Kitskid, mine says "Clic" product of Lebanon. I use to buy another brand at $10 for 180 ml/6 oz and Clic is 300 ml/10 oz for $3

I've been using rose water for over 15 years now, after washing my face, it removes last trace of foundation and simply to spray on my face, don't set your hope to high, my skin has aged!

·
Registered
713 Posts
mariepop...I went and got mine and the brand is "Maward" but the label is mostly in Arabic and yes it is made in Lebanon, did you get yours at Superstore? I use it because I like the fragrance and the fresh way it makes my skin feel, I always use it after I clean the Retin A off of my skin using a microfibre cloth. Sadly it did not make me beautiful like our patient!!!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So maybe no one is seing results. But I haven't yet heard of one complaint either... that's good....I think.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
This is a bit off topic, but I made up my own perfumed toner;

100ml orange flower water
1 drop neroli
1 drop ylang ylang

I kind of accidently came up with this, but I wanted to share it because it smells absolutely divine!
And I don't wonder, apparently few of the key smells in Chanel n.5 is neroli and ylang ylang..
Thanks for sharing this recipe, Applegirl. I might try this next when I ran out of rose water

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So maybe no one is seing results. But I haven't yet heard of one complaint either... that's good....I think.
I will still using it, it smells good, removes foundation, and I use it for my home made body lotion and I cook with it. Sort of a 3 in one
and all this under $4

Kitskid, I got it in a health food store. Thanks I will now check in a Superstore!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have a spray bottle of Rose Water. I spray it on my face throughout the day as a nice cool blast for my face as the weather here is so drying. I don't use it as a toner. Hm. Maybe I should try that.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sandia, I love it as a toner, I use a cotton pad. You have a beautiful skin, do you think that does help to prevent to have wrinkles?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I am thinking of making my own rose water by adding a few drops of rose oil to distilled water. Has anybody tried it? This way I will be able to control the scent of my home-made rose water and make it mild.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Not a bad idea Pumi, Essential Oil of rose should have a more powerful effect, but I wonder if you will get an oily sensation on your skin? I think you wrote in a post that you have acnee. is it good to add oil on acnee?

Does water & oil mix well together? hummmm!
you will probably have to do lots of shaking :)

I add few drops of E.O. of rose in my home made lotion.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Not a bad idea Pumi, Essential Oil of rose should have a more powerful effect, but I wonder if you will get an oily sensation on your skin? I think you wrote in a post that you have acnee. is it good to add oil on acnee?

Does water & oil mix well together? hummmm!
you will probably have to do lots of shaking :)

I add few drops of E.O. of rose in my home made lotion.
Good point, Mariepop. I didn't think abt this before. Sure enough, adding a few drops of rose oil would make the rose water a bit oily. The homemade "rose water" would then serve both as a moisturiser and a toner as it contains essential oil!

I am thinking of adding say abt 5 -8 drops of rose oil to 100ml distilled water. Most online toner recipes do contain some E.O oils. The best way to use the diy toner would be in a spray bottle and have to shake it everytime before using to mix the oil and water. I have nearly finished my rose water bottle and looking forward to working on this new recipe of mine!

I have read somewhere that it is better making your own rose water-- some people use rose petals which is bit complicated for me !
Making ur own rose water is superior than most rosewater in stores as they frequently contain synthetic rose fragrance and have lots of preservatives.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have a spray bottle of Rose Water. I spray it on my face throughout the day as a nice cool blast for my face as the weather here is so drying. I don't use it as a toner. Hm. Maybe I should try that.
I've only had my Rose Water for a few weeks. I think my lack of wrinkles is totally genetic. :/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Mony,

Yes, I have tried rose water and it is a very gentle toner. Note, however, that the rosewater commonly available from the pharmacist is often made with synthetic fragrance extracts, not roses.

Genuine rosewater is available from herbal and aromatherapy suppliers; it contains up to 20% pure essentail oil. As you said, these oils are, indeed, left behind and are a by-product of the distillation process.

You can make a home-made version of rosewater. Just steep clean rose petals in water.
Rose oil has tremendous skin-care properties and is highly prized and expensive.

Hope this helps you,

Warm regards,

redrose

1 - 20 of 39 Posts